ֱ

Policeman, three militants killed in attack in northwest Pakistan

Policeman, three militants killed in attack in northwest Pakistan
Security personnel brief officials following a militant attack in Kohat, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa on August 30, 2025. (Photo courtesy: Kohat News)
Short Url
Updated 13 sec ago

Policeman, three militants killed in attack in northwest Pakistan

Policeman, three militants killed in attack in northwest Pakistan
  • Militants ambushed police vehicle in Kohat district, killing officer and injuring two constables
  • No group has claimed responsibility, though TTP has frequently targeted the police in KP

ISLAMABAD: A policeman and three militants were killed in an attack and subsequent search operation in Pakistan’s restive northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province, authorities said on Saturday.

Pakistan has struggled to contain surging militancy in KP since a fragile truce between the Pakistani Taliban — also known as the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) — and the state broke down in November 2022.

The latest incident occurred in a settlement in the Kohat district of the province when militants attacked a police vehicle, according to District Police Officer (DPO) Dr. Zahidullah.

“In Darmalak, within the jurisdiction of Lachi Police Station, terrorists attacked a police mobile, resulting in the martyrdom of Assistant Sub-Inspector Ashfaq while two police constables were injured,” he told Arab News.

He added that a heavy contingent of police was deployed in the area, and a joint search operation was launched by the district police, Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) and the elite police force.

“During the search operation in difficult mountainous terrain, three militants were killed in an exchange of fire with police,” he said.

The DPO said the identities of the slain militants were being verified, and the search operation was continuing.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack. However, TTP militants have frequently targeted security forces, police convoys and check-posts, as well as carried out targeted killings and kidnappings of law enforcement and government officials in recent months.

Last week, the CTD in KP killed nine militants during a counterterrorism operation.

Surging militant attacks in recent years have become a major challenge for Islamabad which has repeatedly blamed Afghanistan for sheltering and supporting militant groups who launch crossborder attacks.

Afghan officials deny the charge, saying Pakistan’s security problems are its internal matter.

Pakistan was recognized as the world’s second-most affected country by militant violence in 2024, with deaths rising 45 percent to 1,081, according to the Global Terrorism Index 2025.


Pakistan interior minister briefs Saudi envoy on crackdown against ‘begging mafia’ abroad

Pakistan interior minister briefs Saudi envoy on crackdown against ‘begging mafia’ abroad
Updated 19 sec ago

Pakistan interior minister briefs Saudi envoy on crackdown against ‘begging mafia’ abroad

Pakistan interior minister briefs Saudi envoy on crackdown against ‘begging mafia’ abroad
  • Interior minister says Pakistan has adopted a ‘zero-tolerance policy’ toward such individuals
  • Last year, the country added over 4,000 individuals accused of begging abroad to a no-fly list

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi said on Saturday a sweeping crackdown was underway against a “beggar mafia” accused of exploiting visas to solicit money in ֱ, a practice officials warn is damaging the country’s image and could affect genuine visa-seekers, including religious pilgrims.

The practice has drawn complaints from Riyadh in the past, prompting the administration in Islamabad to direct the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) to take measures to curb the trend.

Last year, Pakistan said it had added more than 4,000 individuals accused of abusing visas for begging to a no-fly list.

“‎Mohsin Naqvi stated that a comprehensive crackdown is being carried out against the mafia involved in begging in ֱ,” said a statement released after his meeting with the Saudi envoy, Nawaf bin Said Al-Malki. “A zero-tolerance policy has been adopted against the beggar mafia.”

During his visit to the Saudi embassy in Islamabad, the minister also praised Riyadh’s role in supporting Pakistan, including during the military standoff with India in May.

“ֱ has always stood firmly by Pakistan both in times of war or peace, and the relations between Pakistan and ֱ have withstood every test,” he said.

The statement added the Saudi ambassador also described Pakistan as a “brotherly and friendly country,” adding that Riyadh attached great importance to the relationship.

Pakistanis make up the second-largest expatriate community in ֱ, with more than 2.5 million living and working there.

The Kingdom is the top source of remittances for the South Asian nation, whose struggling economy relies heavily on foreign inflows.


Pakistan police arrest TV cameraman on suspicion of wife’s murder in Karachi

Pakistan police arrest TV cameraman on suspicion of wife’s murder in Karachi
Updated 30 August 2025

Pakistan police arrest TV cameraman on suspicion of wife’s murder in Karachi

Pakistan police arrest TV cameraman on suspicion of wife’s murder in Karachi
  • Police complaint cites domestic violence after Kulsoom Abdi found stabbed in flat
  • Women’s rights activist calls the killing part of rising femicides, demands justice

KARACHI: Police in Pakistan have arrested a television cameraman on charges of murdering his wife, who was found stabbed to death in their home in Karachi, officials said Saturday.

Qamar Abdi, a cameraman for a private news channel, was arrested after his wife’s family named him as the suspect in a First Information Report (FIR), the initial police complaint, according to Dr. Farrukh Raza, a Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) for Karachi’s East District.

“The accused, who works as a news cameraman, has been arrested for the murder of his wife,” Raza told Arab News. “The woman was brutally murdered with knife cuts on her body.”

According to the FIR, filed by the victim’s brother, Asim Ahmed, the killing took place on Friday morning in the couple’s rented flat in the Soldier Bazaar neighborhood, where they were living with their only daughter for the last four years. Ahmed told police he received a call from Abdi around 12:55 PM on August 29, saying, “Kulsoom has been murdered, hurry up and come home.”

Upon arriving at the scene, Ahmed found a police vehicle and an ambulance, and his sister’s body lying on the floor, covered with a black cloth.

Ahmed’s statement to the police described a history of domestic violence. He alleged that for the past four years, Abdi had been physically abusive, used drugs, and was financially dependent on his wife, who sewed clothes to make ends meet.

He said that his sister had previously left Abdi for two months due to the abuse but returned after her husband came to their family home and convinced her to come back.

They had married 15 years ago in a “love marriage,” a South Asian term commonly used for marriages based on mutual choice rather than family arrangement.

SSP Raza confirmed that police had collected samples from the crime scene, including samples from the couple’s daughter, who is believed to have been drugged during the incident.

“The case is under investigation and the results of the samples are also awaited,” he added.

The murder of Kulsoom is just one in a series of brutal killings of women in Karachi, often occurring in the privacy of homes. Only days earlier, another woman was allegedly killed by her husband in Orangi Town, and in Qur’angi, a husband was arrested for allegedly slaughtering his wife with a knife.

Authorities suspect domestic disputes to be the primary cause of these deaths, which frequently occur in the presence of the couple’s children.

The recent killings have brought renewed attention to the pervasive issue of gender-based violence (GBV) in the country. A March report by the Sustainable Social Development Organization (SSDO) stated that over 32,617 GBV cases were recorded in the first half of 2024 nationwide.

Despite the high number of incidents, activists say conviction rates remain low due to underreporting, patriarchal attitudes and a weak legal system.

Qurrat Mirza, a founding member of Aurat March Karachi, a women’s rights movement, condemned the latest killing, calling it part of a larger pattern.

“Another week another woman,” she said. “These are not isolated incidents. They are part of a horrifying pattern where patriarchy, silence and impunity feed domestic violence.”

“These tragedies reflect how deeply rooted patriarchal norms, lack of anger management and notions of control over women’s lives normalize violence within marriages,” he added.

Mirza stressed the need for a change in societal attitudes and called for urgent action.

“Women deserve safety, dignity and justice, not graves inside their homes,” she said.


Sindh on high alert, 1.6 million at risk as floodwaters from Punjab move south

Sindh on high alert, 1.6 million at risk as floodwaters from Punjab move south
Updated 30 August 2025

Sindh on high alert, 1.6 million at risk as floodwaters from Punjab move south

Sindh on high alert, 1.6 million at risk as floodwaters from Punjab move south
  • NDMA warns flood waves of up to 1.2 million cusecs could pass through barrages in Punjab, Sindh in coming days
  • Sindh sets up emergency cell, deploys 192 rescue boats and over 300 livestock camps ahead of expected deluge

KARACHI: Sindh Information Minister Sharjeel Memon on Saturday said the provincial government was “fully mobilized” to deal with the impact of floods in southern Pakistan, where nearly 1.6 million people and over 1,600 villages are at risk.

The deluge, fueled by record monsoon rains and excess water released from upstream India, has created crisis conditions in the country’s most populous Punjab province since Monday, where the trans-boundary Chenab, Ravi and Sutlej rivers have submerged about 2,300 villages and killed at least 30 people.

The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) cautioned a day earlier that rising river waters were likely to cause extreme flooding in downstream Sindh, with flood waves of 900,000 to 1.2 million cusecs expected to flow through barrages in Punjab and Sindh in the coming days.

Addressing a news conference in Karachi, Memon said floodwaters were expected to enter the province “on the night of September 2 or 3.”

“A provincial Rain and Flood Emergency Monitoring Cell has been set up to monitor the flood situation, which will remain operational round the clock,” he said.

“At present, 192 rescue boats and mobile health units have been deployed,” he continued. “As many as 1.65 million people, 1,651 villages and 167 union councils could potentially be affected, with an estimated 273,000 families at risk.”

The provincial minister said residents of vulnerable areas were being shifted to safer locations, highlighting that most people have voluntarily evacuated from the riverine areas.

“Three hundred camps have also been set up for livestock,” he added. “Continuous monitoring of water levels is underway.”

Memon noted there was no shortage of funds for flood relief activities, adding that the Punjab government was also providing kits in this regard.

Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah convened an emergency meeting on Friday after flood forecasts, instructing all relevant departments to stay vigilant.

“In case of a major flood wave, not a single life, human or animal, should be lost,” he told officials, directing the Sindh Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) to deploy rescue boats, establish over 500 relief camps, and coordinate with the Pakistan Navy, which has 26 boats on standby.

Around 830 people have been killed and 1,121 injured during the monsoon season since June 26, according to official statistics.

Pakistani officials have warned the flood threat could intensify in the coming days, with the current spell expected to last until at least Sept. 10 and potentially rival the 2022 floods, which killed more than 1,700 people and caused over $30 billion in damage.


Pakistani politician to sail with global flotilla seeking to break Gaza blockade

Pakistani politician to sail with global flotilla seeking to break Gaza blockade
Updated 30 August 2025

Pakistani politician to sail with global flotilla seeking to break Gaza blockade

Pakistani politician to sail with global flotilla seeking to break Gaza blockade
  • Civilian fleet of over 100 ships to launch largest mission yet on Sept. 4
  • Ex-senator Mushtaq Ahmad Khan says other Pakistani delegates awaiting visas

KARACHI: A former Pakistani senator is set to join Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg and Portuguese lawmaker Mariana Mortágua on a multinational flotilla that will set sail next week in an attempt to break Israel’s blockade of Gaza and deliver humanitarian aid.

The mission comes as Palestinians in Gaza continue to suffer from nearly two years of Israel’s war that has killed more than 62,000 people, including children, doctors, health workers and journalists, according to Gaza health authorities and the United Nations. The UN has warned of crimes against humanity and reported “catastrophic levels of forced starvation” in the territory, with more than two million people at risk of famine.

The fleet of over 100 vessels, which will converge in the Mediterranean, is bringing together four regional alliances: Sumud Nusantara from Asia, Sumud Maghrib from Africa, the Global March to Gaza from the Middle East, and the Freedom Flotilla Coalition from Europe.

Mushtaq Ahmad Khan, affiliated with the Jamaat-e-Islami religious party, said he would be representing Pakistan on the Sumud flotilla, which organizers describe as the largest civilian maritime mission ever assembled for Gaza.

“This mission is entirely peaceful, non-violent, and rooted in humanitarian solidarity,” Khan told Arab News over the phone from Tunisia. “The aim is to break the blockade, establish a humanitarian corridor and stop ongoing genocide.”

Organizers have said the mission is the largest non-state humanitarian fleet in history, coordinated by grassroots groups rather than governments. In a statement, the Global Sumud Flotilla said its “allegiance is to justice, freedom, and the sanctity of human life.”

Training for the voyage will be held in Tunisia from September 1–3, after which Khan and other participants are due to set sail on September 4. The cargo will consist of food, water and medicine.

“While the quantity may be symbolic, the true aim is to break the blockade and awaken the global conscience,” Khan said, adding that the flotilla’s position was “fully legal” as it would travel through international waters.

“Our destination is Gaza’s territorial waters. We will have no engagement or interaction with Israel and from a legal standpoint, our position is sound.”

The Pakistani delegation was flagged off earlier this week at a ceremony in Kuala Lumpur attended by Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim. Khan said he is currently the only Pakistani participant, as other members are still awaiting visas.

The flotilla builds on more than a decade of similar attempts to challenge Israel’s maritime blockade. In June this year, Thunberg sailed from Sicily with humanitarian supplies on another Freedom Flotilla vessel, the Madleen, which was intercepted and seized by Israeli forces in international waters.

Khan said he and other participants were prepared for the risks, recalling blockades and attacks on past flotillas, including the deadly 2010 raid on the Turkish ship Mavi Marmara that left 10 activists dead.

“There are three possible outcomes,” he said. “We either reach Gaza successfully, we are intercepted and deported, or we are attacked. We are risking our lives deliberately, not for fame, but for justice.”


‘Precarious’ Punjab as three major rivers all hit ‘super flood’ levels for first time

‘Precarious’ Punjab as three major rivers all hit ‘super flood’ levels for first time
Updated 30 August 2025

‘Precarious’ Punjab as three major rivers all hit ‘super flood’ levels for first time

‘Precarious’ Punjab as three major rivers all hit ‘super flood’ levels for first time
  • Convergence of Chenab, Ravi and Sutlej has flooded Pakistan’s breadbasket province
  • Forecasts warn of exceptionally high river levels at multiple headworks, more rains 

LAHORE: Pakistan’s Punjab province is facing an unprecedented crisis, with all three of its major rivers — the Chenab, Ravi and Sutlej — simultaneously in “super flood” for the first time in recorded history, a top disaster agency official said on Saturday.

The rare convergence of swollen rivers has inundated swathes of the country’s breadbasket province, fed by record monsoon rains and water releases from upstream India. Flood Forecasting Division data shows exceptionally high levels at multiple headworks, while the Pakistan Meteorological Department has warned of further rains in the upper catchments in early September, threatening to intensify the deluge.

“Currently, the situation is very precarious … we have received high flows in all three major rivers,” Punjab PDMA Director-General Irfan Ali Kathia told Arab News in an interview. “Never in the history of Pakistan and Punjab have three major rivers been in super flood at the same time.”

Kathia said flows in the Sutlej on Friday were the highest since 1955, while the Ravi had not carried such volumes since 1988. He described the crisis as “unprecedented,” with floodwaters still surging through central Punjab.

The Flood Forecasting Division (FFD) said exceptionally high flood levels would persist in the Sutlej at Ganda Singh Wala, while the Chenab at Trimmu was expected to reach the same threshold within 24 hours. The Ravi at Balloki was also in dangerous flood, with further surges forecast. The FFD warned that the Panjnad would face very high flood by September 3, and the Indus at Guddu by September 5, as monsoon flows continue downstream.

The Pakistan Meteorological Department has predicted more heavy showers over the upper catchments of the Sutlej, Beas and Ravi rivers on September 2–3, which could raise flood levels even further.

Asked about the financial toll of the. flood emergency, Kathia said it was too early to give precise figures while floodwaters were still surging through central Punjab.

“The survey is about to start and I can tell you something with certainty when the survey is done,” he said. “But now we are facing this scenario, so the challenges are numerous.”

IMPACT

Punjab Relief Commissioner Nabeel Javed said on Saturday more than 1.5 million people had been affected and 2,308 villages submerged. Around 481,000 residents were evacuated, and relief operations continue with 511 camps, 351 medical units and 321 veterinary camps in place.

At least 30 people have died in the recent floods in Punjab, while two more were killed by lightning in Lahore, according to PDMA figures. Nationwide, the monsoon season that began in late June has so far killed more than 830 people, including 191 in Punjab, the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) said.

The monsoon season, which began in late June and is expected to last until mid-September, has revived fears of a repeat of Pakistan’s catastrophic 2022 floods, which killed more than 1,700 people, displaced millions and caused losses exceeding $30 billion.