ֱ

Punjab farmers left in despair as floods wipe out fields and herds

Special Punjab farmers left in despair as floods wipe out fields and herds
Villagers lead their cattle through a flooded street in Wazirabad, Punjab, on August 29, 2025. (AN Photo)
Short Url
Updated 45 min 43 sec ago

Punjab farmers left in despair as floods wipe out fields and herds

Punjab farmers left in despair as floods wipe out fields and herds
  • Many say the deluge struck without warning, leaving no time to save livestock
  • Confusion grows over surviving animals as farmers struggle to prove ownership

WAZIRABAD, Pakistan: Farmers in Pakistan’s eastern Punjab province said Friday they had lost everything in sudden floods, from fields of rice and corn to the livestock they depended on, leaving them in despair and with no clear path ahead.

The floods began Monday when heavy rains triggered sudden water releases from Indian dams on the Sutlej, Chenab and Ravi rivers, making it the worst deluge for the region in about four decades. Nearly 300,000 people have since been evacuated, more than one million have been affected and at least 20 people have died in Punjab this week, according to officials statistics.

“Suddenly, so much water came with a great speed that we have never seen in our lives,” Asadullah Rizwan, a farmer in Wazirabad city, told Arab News. “We got the warning late, and our livestock was swept away. Everyone lost 10, 15, 20 animals.”

Rizwan said his entire year’s harvest had been destroyed.

“I cultivated rice on 117 acres and corn on 20 acres, but it’s all finished,” he said. “This is Allah’s will regarding what will happen.”

Others spoke of the same despair.

“Some of the buffalo are gone, and one of our cows has also been swept away,” Furqan Ahmed, another farmer, said. “People also drowned here. In Naeem colony, a woman drowned while trying to save her child. Rescue did not arrive on time.”

Farmers said disputes had already broken out over the few surviving animals since there was no way to prove ownership and no one knew which animal belonged to whom.

Local officials in Wazirabad said a large number of animals had been taken to shelters and would eventually be returned once the waters recede.

“The district government will start a mechanism for missing animals,” Veterinary Officer Dr. Hasan Munir told Arab News. “Any rescued animals will be kept at camp offices, given fodder, and then returned to their owners.”

Annual monsoon rains are crucial for Pakistan’s agriculture and water supply but in recent years have also unleashed devastation, intensified by shifting climate patterns.

The NDMA said in its latest situation report on Friday, 337 rescue operations had been carried out in Punjab in the last 24 hours, moving nearly 247,000 people to safety.

The agency has warned the rains could last until at least Sept. 10 and may rival the catastrophic floods of 2022, which killed more than 1,700 people and caused more than $30 billion in damage.

The government has sought to make urgent investments in climate adaptation amid fears that farmers will continue to bear the brunt of erratic weather patterns as their livelihoods are washed away year after year.


Pakistan threatens action against resorts, housing societies on riverbeds

Pakistan threatens action against resorts, housing societies on riverbeds
Updated 29 August 2025

Pakistan threatens action against resorts, housing societies on riverbeds

Pakistan threatens action against resorts, housing societies on riverbeds
  • Climate minister vows to assert state authority over wealthy tycoons
  • He says government deploying satellites, drones and AI to track floods

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Climate Change Minister Musadik Malik on Friday warned wealthy business tycoons of action against resorts, hotels and housing societies built on riverbeds after floods inundated the northern and eastern parts of the country.

Swollen rivers in Pakistan’s most populous province, Punjab, have submerged more than 1,600 villages and displaced over 1.1 million people, with about 40 deaths reported in the region since Aug. 15, according to the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA).

Mass evacuations began after heavier-than-usual monsoon rains and the release of water from overflowing dams in India triggered flash floods in low-lying border areas of Pakistan.

Media footage showed water from the Ravi River entering a lavish private housing society in the eastern city of Lahore last night as police urged residents to evacuate immediately.

“This monsoon is our declaration of war. We will not stop now and will remove every obstacle from the river’s path,” Malik said while addressing a televised news conference in Karachi during his visit.

“The prime minister has said no one is stronger than the state and this year you will see it,” he continued. “Now we will see who is stronger — the state or a handful of tycoons.”

He pleaded with the country’s elite to “have some fear” while building housing colonies along riverbanks.

“These are the very places where we should have been preserving water and where rivers should have been allowed to spread and be stored,” he added.

“Every district should have designated wetland zones and protected areas.”

Malik urged people to grow mangroves, wetlands and forests to absorb carbon dioxide from the air.

He lamented that resorts, hotels and housing societies built along riverbanks by wealthy people had become a source of death for the poor.

“When the mansions and illegal complexes of the wealthy collapse, their concrete and timber turn into missiles,” he said.

“Huge boulders, flying like pebbles, come crashing down with the water hitting poor settlements and destroying everything in their way.”

Calling the settlements on riverbanks an “agent of destruction” for the poor, Malik urged the wealthy elite to reconsider their actions and stop building along riverbanks.

He also disclosed that Pakistan was employing the best technology in the world including satellites, drones and artificial intelligence to monitor and tackle floods.

“Drones are hovering over the mountains, satellites are sending images, AI is mapping every possible route water could take next year.”

Around 842 people have been killed in the monsoon season since June 26, with the northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province recording the highest number of casualties.

Pakistani officials say the current spell is likely to last until at least Sept. 10 and could rival the 2022 floods, which killed more than 1,700 people and caused over $30 billion in damage.


Pakistan’s deputy PM says PIA to launch Manchester flights next month

Pakistan’s deputy PM says PIA to launch Manchester flights next month
Updated 29 August 2025

Pakistan’s deputy PM says PIA to launch Manchester flights next month

Pakistan’s deputy PM says PIA to launch Manchester flights next month
  • Barred from EU and UK after a deadly 2020 crash, PIA resumed flights to Paris in January
  • New Manchester route expected to boost revenue, aiding government’s privatization push

ISLAMABAD: Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar on Friday announced Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) would launch three to four weekly flights to Manchester in the United Kingdom, saying the revival of the national carrier had been among the government’s top priorities.

Britain removed Pakistan from its Air Safety List earlier this year, clearing the way for Pakistani carriers to seek permits to operate in the UK.

Pakistani airlines were barred from flying to Europe and Britain after a 2020 PIA Airbus A320 crash in Karachi killed nearly 100 people and led to controversial claims about widespread irregularities in pilot licensing.

European regulators lifted their suspension last November after due diligence, enabling PIA to resume operations to Paris in January.

“As you know, just a few months ago, by the grace of God, the UK ... lifted its ban [on PIA flights],” Dar told reporters at a news conference.

“So, the final expected flights [to the UK] are due in the month of September,” he added. “They will start from Pakistan to Manchester, with three to four weekly flights. PIA is preparing for this.”

The deputy PM added flights to Britain would have resumed sooner had the UK still been bound by European Union aviation rules.

He said the government was encouraged by good feedback from the public, noting that at present only British Airways offers direct services, which were limited to Islamabad twice a week.

With more than 1.6 million people of Pakistani heritage living in the UK and thousands of British nationals residing in Pakistan, the Manchester route is expected to ease travel and stimulate bilateral trade.

Britain is Pakistan’s third-largest trading partner, with bilateral commerce worth £4.7 billion.

The new flights are likely to strengthen PIA’s balance sheet, potentially raising its value as the government pushes ahead with plans to privatize the loss-making airline.


Pakistan issues licenses to 24 tour operators for pilgrimages to Iran, Iraq and Syria

Pakistan issues licenses to 24 tour operators for pilgrimages to Iran, Iraq and Syria
Updated 29 August 2025

Pakistan issues licenses to 24 tour operators for pilgrimages to Iran, Iraq and Syria

Pakistan issues licenses to 24 tour operators for pilgrimages to Iran, Iraq and Syria
  • Move follows abolition of decades-old Salar system after reports of 40,000 Pakistanis overstaying abroad
  • Government barred overland travel for Arbaeen pilgrimage this year, citing militant threats in Balochistan

ISLAMABAD: Federal Minister for Religious Affairs Sardar Muhammad Yousaf on Friday issued certificates to 24 authorized Ziarat Group Organizers (ZGOs) for pilgrimages to Iran, Iraq and Syria, saying these companies would provide travel, accommodation, food and other facilities to devotees.

Thousands of Pakistanis, mostly Shias, travel to these countries annually to visit religious shrines. The government announced last month it would abolish the decades-old Salar system, under which private caravan leaders managed pilgrim travel.

The decision followed official confirmation that around 40,000 Pakistani citizens had overstayed or gone missing in Iran, Iraq and Syria over the past decade.

“From now on, pilgrims traveling to Iran, Iraq and Syria would only be allowed to do so through registered ZGOs,” the minister said. “Under the new system, pilgrims will be provided with better facilities, a transparent process and safer travel.”

Yousaf told representatives of newly registered companies at a ceremony in Islamabad they were responsible for ensuring pilgrims’ transport, housing and meals.

He congratulated the first batch of firms to be formally licensed under the government’s new Ziarat Policy, adding the existing Salar system would soon be completely phased out.

The religious affairs ministry said in a statement it had received 1,413 applications for registration, of which 585 had secured security clearance.

In the first phase, 24 companies that completed documentation were declared eligible, while the rest will be issued certificates after meeting requirements.

Earlier this year, the government barred overland travel for the Arbaeen pilgrimage, a major Shia religious observance held 40 days after the annual commemoration of Imam Hussain’s martyrdom in Karbala, Iraq, citing militant threats in the restive Balochistan province bordering Iran.

It also said the new Ziarat Policy aims to address long-standing security and migration concerns flagged by host governments, while restoring credibility to Pakistan’s management of religious tourism.


Pakistan braces for three-river floods as Chenab, Ravi and Sutlej hit dangerous levels

Pakistan braces for three-river floods as Chenab, Ravi and Sutlej hit dangerous levels
Updated 29 August 2025

Pakistan braces for three-river floods as Chenab, Ravi and Sutlej hit dangerous levels

Pakistan braces for three-river floods as Chenab, Ravi and Sutlej hit dangerous levels
  • Authorities in Punjab have asked all deputy commissioners to stay in the field, set up tent villages
  • NDMA warns record flows in Chenab, Ravi and Sutlej could swell Indus to extreme flood stage in Sindh

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan braced for triple river flooding on Friday as the Chenab, Ravi and Sutlej all swelled to dangerous levels, prompting mass evacuations, emergency breaches and warnings that the combined flows could push the Indus into an unprecedented flood stage downstream.

The deluge, fueled by record monsoon rains and excess water released from upstream India, has created crisis conditions in the country’s most populous Punjab province, which is home to half the population of 240 million. Authorities have issued evacuation orders around the rivers, where extremely high flows have been recorded at barrage points.

The Punjab government called in the army this week to support rescue and relief operations. Since June 26, torrential monsoon rains linked to climate change have killed over 820 people and injured thousands across Pakistan, according to the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA).

“A major flood wave in the River Chenab is rapidly moving toward Chiniot, Jhang and Trimmu Headworks,” Punjab Relief Commissioner Nabeel Javed said in a statement.

“By evening, the flood wave will pass through Jhang and Chiniot and reach Trimmu Headworks,” he added. “To reduce pressure, breaching has been carried out at three locations in Jhang.”

The Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) of Punjab confirmed water discharges of 184,000 cusecs at Khanki, 185,000 cusecs at Qadirabad and 129,000 cusecs at Trimmu, highlighting the rising threat to settlements along the river and asking people to leave.

The Ravi River, meanwhile, swelled at several locations, recording 164,000 cusecs at Balloki Headworks and 184,000 cusecs at Shahdara, amid rising flows expected at Sidhnai.

“Due to the flood situation in the Ravi River, potentially affected areas of Lahore include Lahore city and Raiwind,” the NDMA announced. “Other areas that may be affected include Kasur, Pattoki, Okara, Renala Khurd, Depalpur, Gogera, Tandlianwala, Kamalia, Pir Mahal, Adda Hakim and Sidhnai.”

It added the Ravi was expected to carry between 125,000 and 150,000 cusecs between Sept. 2 and 3 at Sidhnai, which could create a severe flood situation.

Separately, the Sutlej River at Ganda Singh Wala surged above 350,000 cusecs, triggering an emergency alert in Kasur and adjoining districts.

Officials maintained heavy rains and possible water releases from India could further worsen the situation.

The Punjab Relief Commissioner also noted in his statement the ninth spell of monsoon rains had started in the province, warning of flash floods in urban areas.

“All deputy commissioners and line departments have been directed to remain in the field,” he said, adding they were instructed to set up tent villages in affected areas and ensure the provision of all basic and medical facilities to people.

SINDH BRACES FOR FLOOD WAVE

The NDMA cautioned on Friday evening the rising waters of the Chenab, Ravi and Sutlej were now feeding into the Indus, creating the possibility of extreme flooding further south. It said flood waves of 900,000 to 1.2 million cusecs could pass through barrages in Punjab and Sindh in the coming days.

At Guddu Barrage, flows of up to 1.1 million cusecs are expected by Sept. 5-6, Sukkur could face similar volumes on Sept. 6-7 and Kotri between Sept. 8-9.

Reacting to the situation, Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah convened an emergency meeting in Karachi after forecasts showed a massive flood wave heading toward Guddu Barrage.

“In case of a major flood wave, not a single life, human or animal, should be lost,” Shah told officials, directing the Sindh PDMA to deploy rescue boats, establish over 500 relief camps, and coordinate with the Pakistan Navy, which has 26 boats on standby.

Authorities estimate more than 50,000 families could be displaced if the Indus breaches embankments in the province.

Rescue 1122 has mobilized 30,000 personnel across vulnerable districts in Sindh, with boats pre-positioned in Sukkur, Ghotki, Khairpur and Shikarpur.

Pakistan’s National Emergencies Operation Center is also fully functional, according to the authorities, and coordinating with civil and military institutions round the clock.


Global particle physics lab reviews Pakistan’s scientific progress as associate member

Global particle physics lab reviews Pakistan’s scientific progress as associate member
Updated 29 August 2025

Global particle physics lab reviews Pakistan’s scientific progress as associate member

Global particle physics lab reviews Pakistan’s scientific progress as associate member
  • Delegation from CERN, which runs world’s largest particle accelerator, visits Pakistani research institutes
  • Pakistan joined CERN in 2015, gaining access to global projects, training and technology transfer

ISLAMABAD: A high-level delegation from the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) has completed a five-day visit to Pakistan to review the country’s progress as an associate member, the foreign ministry said on Friday.

CERN, based in Geneva, Switzerland, is the world’s leading particle physics laboratory, best known for operating the Large Hadron Collider — the largest and most powerful particle accelerator in the world. The institution was founded in 1954 by European nations on the principle of “Science for Peace” and today counts 25 full members and nine associate members, including Pakistan.

“Through its Associate Membership, Pakistan has gained significant benefits — advancing the frontiers of scientific knowledge, fostering technological development, and training a new generation of scientists and engineers,” the ministry said in a statement.

The five-member CERN team met with the Chairman of the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC) and toured a number of institutions between Aug. 24–28.

These included the National Center for Physics (NCP), Heavy Mechanical Complex-3 (HMC-3), Pakistan Institute of Engineering and Applied Sciences (PIEAS), Pakistan Institute of Nuclear Science and Technology (PINSTECH), Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Oncology (INMOL), and the National Institute for Laser and Optronics (NILOP).

Pakistan became an associate member of CERN on July 31, 2015, with PAEC designated as the lead coordinating agency for the collaboration. Pakistani scientists and engineers have since contributed to CERN’s experiments and technology development while gaining training and access to high-tech procurement programs.

The visit underlined Pakistan’s efforts to strengthen international scientific partnerships and build domestic research capacity at a time when the country seeks to expand its technological base.