ֱ

Kabul blames Pakistan for airstrikes that killed 3 people in eastern Afghanistan

Kabul blames Pakistan for airstrikes that killed 3 people in eastern Afghanistan
Afghan residents inspect near a damaged house after overnight aerial strikes in the Shinwar district of Nangarhar Province on August 28, 2025. Afghanistan's Taliban government accused Pakistan on August 28 of carrying out air and drone strikes in two border provinces overnight that killed three people, summoning Islamabad's ambassador to complain. (Photo by AFP)
Updated 10 min 10 sec ago

Kabul blames Pakistan for airstrikes that killed 3 people in eastern Afghanistan

Kabul blames Pakistan for airstrikes that killed 3 people in eastern Afghanistan
  • Afghanistan’s foreign ministry says Pakistani airstrikes have killed three civilians and wounded seven others in two eastern provinces of Afghanistan
  • Pakistan’s government and military have not commented on the strikes or the accusation

ISLAMABAD: Airstrikes that Afghanistan’s Taliban government blamed on neighboring Pakistan struck two eastern provinces of the country, killing at least three people, wounding seven others and damaging homes, officials and witnesses said Thursday.
In Kabul, the foreign ministry decried the strikes that took place late Wednesday in Nangarhar and Khost provinces, calling them a “provocative act” by Pakistan and summoning the Pakistani ambassador in Kabul.
The Afghan Defense Ministry also condemned the strikes. “Such barbaric and brutal actions benefit neither sides; rather intensify the distance between the two Muslim nations and fuel hatred. These irresponsible activities will have consequences,” it wrote on the X social media platform.
Neither the Pakistani government nor the military commented on the alleged strikes.
Kabul previously has accused Pakistan of launching airstrikes in Afghanistan against suspected hideouts of the Pakistani Taliban, a militant group banned in Pakistan and blamed for some of that country’s deadliest terrorist attacks.
In Nangarhar’s Shinwari district, members of a family whose house was reduced to rubble sifted through the debris to try to recover what they could.
“They dropped the first big bomb on my house. My house was completely destroyed,” said Shah Sawar, a resident of Nangarhar’s Shinwari district. “First I pulled a child out of the rubble, then I pulled four children and a woman out.”
Nangarhar’s deputy governor, Maulvi Azizullah Mustafa, said the strikes were fired by Pakistani drones. The Afghan foreign ministry said three people were killed and seven wounded in Nangarhar and Khost.
Kabul in December 2024 accused Pakistan of carrying out airstrikes against suspected hideouts of the Pakistani Taliban in Paktika province. Pakistan also did not acknowledge those strikes at the time. Kabul claimed hitting several points inside Pakistan in retaliation.
The latest violence comes a week after top diplomats from Pakistan, China and Afghanistan met in Kabul and pledged closer cooperation against terrorism. It also came three months after Pakistan and Afghanistan upgraded their diplomatic ties to improve bilateral relations.
However, relations between Islamabad and Kabul have remained tense since 2021, when the Afghan Taliban seized power, mainly over Kabul’s alleged support of the Pakistani Taliban, who have stepped up attacks on security forces and civilians in Pakistan in recent years.
Pakistan accuses Afghanistan of harboring the Pakistani Taliban, which is separate but closely allied to the Afghan Taliban. Kabul denies that, saying it does not allow anyone to use its soil against another country.


UK govt says Israeli officials not invited to London arms fair

UK govt says Israeli officials not invited to London arms fair
Updated 6 sec ago

UK govt says Israeli officials not invited to London arms fair

UK govt says Israeli officials not invited to London arms fair
  • Israeli government representatives will not be invited to attend a major London arms fair next month, a UK government spokesperson said Friday, amid worsening diplomatic relations between Britain
  • Israeli defense companies will still be allowed to attend the biennial event. But Israel slammed the move as “discrimination“
LONDON: Israeli government representatives will not be invited to attend a major London arms fair next month, a UK government spokesperson said Friday, amid worsening diplomatic relations between Britain and Israel over the Gaza conflict.
“We can confirm that no Israeli government delegation will be invited to attend DSEI UK 2025” in September, said a defense ministry statement emailed to AFP.
Israeli defense companies will still be allowed to attend the biennial event. But Israel slammed the move as “discrimination.”
Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s government has in recent months suspended arms export licenses to Israel for use in Gaza, suspended free trade talks with Israel and sanctioned two far-right Israeli ministers in protest at Israel’s conduct of the war.
“The Israeli government’s decision to further escalate its military operation in Gaza is wrong,” the UK government statement added.
“There must be a diplomatic solution to end this war now, with an immediate ceasefire, the return of the hostages and a surge in humanitarian aid to the people of Gaza,” it added.
Israel’s defense ministry reacted furiously to the ban.
“These restrictions amount to a deliberate and regrettable act of discrimination against Israel’s representatives,” said a defense ministry statement.
“Accordingly, the Israel ministry of defense will withdraw from the exhibition and will not establish a national pavilion,” it added.
Starmer last month announced that Britain will recognize a Palestinian state in September if Israel does not take steps, including agreeing to a truce in the Gaza war that was sparked by the Hamas attack on Israel in October 2023.
France in June blocked access to the stands of several Israeli arms manufacturers at the Paris Air show for displaying “offensive weapons.”
European Union foreign ministers are to discuss possible new sanctions against Israel and Hamas at a meeting in Copenhagen on Saturday. Sweden and the Netherlands have already called for more action.

Ukraine says Russian strikes kill 2 in Dnipropetrovsk region

Ukraine says Russian strikes kill 2 in Dnipropetrovsk region
Updated 29 August 2025

Ukraine says Russian strikes kill 2 in Dnipropetrovsk region

Ukraine says Russian strikes kill 2 in Dnipropetrovsk region
  • Kyiv acknowledged on Tuesday that Russian troops had entered the Dnipropetrovsk region
  • Dnipropetrovsk is not one of the five Ukrainian regions that Moscow has publicly claimed as Russian territory

KYIV: Ukraine said on Friday Russian overnight strikes had killed two people in Dnipropetrovsk, days after Kyiv admitted for the first time that Moscow’s army was advancing into the region.
“Unfortunately, two people died – a man and a woman. Sincere condolences to the relatives,” Sergiy Lysak, the head of the regional military administration, wrote on Telegram.
Since Russia launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, Dnipropetrovsk, a central administrative area, had been largely spared from intense fighting.
But Kyiv acknowledged on Tuesday that Russian troops had entered the region, following statements to the same effect by Moscow since last month.
Lysak said the drone strike on the Synelnyky district also wounded a 50-year-old woman.
A separate attack on the city of Dnipro wounded two people, including a 46-year-old man who was in a “serious condition,” he said.
Dnipropetrovsk is not one of the five Ukrainian regions – Donetsk, Kherson, Lugansk, Zaporizhzhia and Crimea – that Moscow has publicly claimed as Russian territory.
But Russia has claimed to have captured some settlements there since July.


Myanmar’s military government declares Karen ethnic rebels a terrorist group as elections loom

Myanmar’s military government declares Karen ethnic rebels a terrorist group as elections loom
Updated 29 August 2025

Myanmar’s military government declares Karen ethnic rebels a terrorist group as elections loom

Myanmar’s military government declares Karen ethnic rebels a terrorist group as elections loom
  • The Karen National Union has been fighting on and off for greater autonomy since Myanmar became independent from Britain in 1948
  • The KNU, together with the other ethnic minority groups fighting with the army, boycotted the military government’s proposed peace talks

BANGKOK: Myanmar’s military government designated the Karen National Union a terrorist organization Thursday, making illegal virtually any activities connected with the major ethnic rebel group, including contact by third parties.
The KNU has been fighting on and off for greater autonomy since Myanmar became independent from Britain in 1948. The group located in Myanmar’s southeast has been engaged in especially fierce combat against the army in the civil war that followed the military takeover from Myanmar’s elected government in 2021.
A KNU spokesperson said Friday the group would not care about the designation. Noting that Myanmar’s military had been indicted by international tribunals, KNU spokesperson Padoh Saw Taw Nee said: “You don’t even need to prove anything on who the real terrorists and international criminals are, and who the unlawful association are.”
The KNU has vowed to disrupt the national elections the military plans to hold beginning Dec. 28, but the terrorist designation will make it more difficult to do even nonviolent information campaigns, which already have been declared illegal.
State-run MRTV television reported a military government committee named the KNU a terrorist group because it has “caused serious losses of public security, lives and property, important infrastructures of the public and private sector, state-owned buildings, vehicles, equipment and materials.”
A separate notice on MRTV said Senior Gen. Min Aung Hlaing, the military leader who is serving as Myanmar’s acting president, declared the KNU and its affiliated organizations to be unlawful organizations, which criminalizes contact with them.
After reporting the announcements, the MRTV repeatedly broadcast a 1947 quote from Aung San, Myanmar’s independence hero, to serve as a warning to the KNU about its plans to disrupt the election.
“Our government will not look on with indifference at those who try to disrupt the election,” were the words attributed to Aung San, who was the father of Aung San Suu Kyi, the civilian national leader who has been detained since the 2021 military takeover.
“They will be severely punished. Our government will not interfere with anyone who is competing freely in the election. However, let me clearly warn you that we will use all the power to suppress anyone who tries to disrupt it,” the Aung San broadcast continued.
The polls have been denounced by critics as a sham to normalize the army takeover. They also say that the dissolution of Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy party, which won a landslide victory in the 2020 elections, means the polls cannot be considered fair.
Several opposition organizations, including the KNU, have said they will try to derail the election. The military government enacted an election law last month that carries the death penalty under certain conditions for anyone who opposes or disrupts the polls.
The Karen, like other minority groups living in border regions, have struggled for decades for greater autonomy from Myanmar’s central government.
The KNU, along with seven other ethnic rebel armies, signed a ceasefire agreement in 2015 with the former quasi-civilian government led by former general Thein Sein to end more than six decades of fighting.
However, the group became allies with pro-democracy militias formed after the military seized power in 2021 and offered refuge to the opponents of the military government. After nonviolent protests against the military takeover were put down with lethal force, armed resistance arose that has now embroiled much of the country in civil war.
In addition to directly engaging the military government’s troops on the battlefield in Kayin state, the armed wing of the KNU, the Karen National Liberation Army, has been training hundreds of young activists from the cities in the rudiments of warfare. Kayin state is also known as Karen state.
The KNU, together with the other ethnic minority groups fighting with the army, also boycotted the military government’s proposed peace talks after the army takeover, saying they did not meet their demands.
The group’s demands include the military’s withdrawal from politics, implementation of federal democracy and acceptance of international involvement in solving the country’s crisis.


Indonesian students vow more protests after one killed in Jakarta demonstration

Indonesian students vow more protests after one killed in Jakarta demonstration
Updated 29 August 2025

Indonesian students vow more protests after one killed in Jakarta demonstration

Indonesian students vow more protests after one killed in Jakarta demonstration
  • Muzammil Ihsan, head of Indonesia’s largest student union, said that students will protest against police violence on Friday afternoon
  • An armored police vehicle hit and killed a motorcycle rideshare driver during clashes on Thursday

JAKARTA: Indonesian students said they will protest at Jakarta’s police headquarters on Friday after a motorcycle rider died when he was hit by a police vehicle during violent clashes following a demonstration outside the parliament the day before.
Muzammil Ihsan, head of Indonesia’s largest student union, said that students will protest against police violence on Friday afternoon, and he expected other student groups to attend.
On Thursday, demonstrators were protesting a number of issues including lawmakers’ pay, education funding and the government’s school meals program. As the protest persisted into the night, local media reported that riot police fired tear gas and used water cannons to try to disperse people.
The capital’s police chief, Asep Edi Suheri, said that during the clashes an armored police vehicle hit and killed a motorcycle rideshare driver. A motorcycle drivers’ association said the dead man was not involved in the protests. “As police chief and on behalf of the entire unit, I would like to express my deepest apologies and condolences,” he said in a press conference late on Thursday. The seven crew of the armored vehicle have been arrested and an investigation is underway, Abdul Karim, head of the professional and security division of the Indonesian police, told the news conference.
Following the death, a group led by motorcycle drivers protested in front of the riot police’s headquarters on Thursday night, local media reported. Kompas TV reported on Friday that military officers were sent to the building to calm dozens of protesting drivers.
Jakarta Legal Aid, in a post on Instagram, urged the government and police to release 600 people who had been arrested during the demonstrations.


Powerful US senator arrives in Taiwan to discuss security

Powerful US senator arrives in Taiwan to discuss security
Updated 29 August 2025

Powerful US senator arrives in Taiwan to discuss security

Powerful US senator arrives in Taiwan to discuss security
  • US Senator Roger Wicker is chairman of the powerful Senate Armed Services Committee and one of the strongest advocates for Taiwan
  • The US is Taiwan’s most important international backer and arms supplier despite the lack of formal diplomatic ties

TAIPEI: US Senator Roger Wicker, the chairman of the powerful Senate Armed Services Committee and one of the strongest advocates for Taiwan in the US Congress, arrived in Taipei on Friday to discuss security at a time of a rising threat from China.
Wicker, a Republican, said he and Senator Deb Fischer were visiting to reinforce and emphasize the “great partnership” the United States and Taiwan had and would have in the future. Fischer is also a Republican and a member of the armed services committee.
“We’re here to talk to our friends and allies in Taiwan about what we’re doing to enhance worldwide peace, the kind of peace through strength that Ronald Reagan talked about,” he told reporters at Taipei’s downtown Songshan airport, referring to the late US president.
“We stand here to re-emphasize the partnership and the security friendship agreement that the United States has had with Taiwan for some decades.”
The US Senate is due to consider next week the National Defense Authorization act, or NDAA, a nearly $1 trillion bill that sets policy for the Pentagon.
Wicker said that this year’s NDAA would “add to the provisions again” when it came to Taiwan, though he gave no details.
The Chinese embassy last month urged Wicker and other lawmakers to cancel plans to go to Taiwan. Beijing, which views the island as its own territory, regularly denounces any shows of support for Taipei from Washington.
China has increased its military activities around Taiwan over the past five years or so, including staging war games. Beijing has never renounced the use of force to bring Taiwan under its control.
Wicker’s trip takes place as some members of Congress – both President Donald Trump’s fellow Republicans and Democrats – have expressed concern that Trump is de-emphasizing security issues as he works on negotiating a trade deal with China.
Administration officials have said Trump remains fully committed to Asia-Pacific security matters as he pursues his trade agenda and a good personal relationship with Chinese President Xi Jinping.
The United States is Taiwan’s most important international backer and arms supplier despite the lack of formal diplomatic ties.