ֱ

‘America’s nicest judge’ Frank Caprio to be honored at public memorial services in Rhode Island

‘America’s nicest judge’ Frank Caprio to be honored at public memorial services in Rhode Island
People from all over the world are expected to pay tribute to Frank Caprio, a retired municipal judge who found online fame as an empathetic jurist and host of “Caught in Providence,” at memorial services beginning Thursday in his home state of Rhode Island. (AP/File)
Short Url
Updated 13 sec ago

‘America’s nicest judge’ Frank Caprio to be honored at public memorial services in Rhode Island

‘America’s nicest judge’ Frank Caprio to be honored at public memorial services in Rhode Island
  • “Your love is really helping us through this difficult time,” David Caprio said
  • Caprio billed his courtroom as a place “where people and cases are met with kindness and compassion”

NEW YORK: People from all over the world are expected to pay tribute to Frank Caprio, a retired municipal judge who found online fame as an empathetic jurist and host of ” Caught in Providence,” at memorial services beginning Thursday in his home state of Rhode Island.

Caprio, who won hearts with the folksy humor and compassion he brought to his courtroom, had pancreatic cancer and died on Aug. 20 at 88.

His family said they had been moved by the outpouring of support since Caprio’s passing and the “thousands of requests from people around the world” who wanted to pray with the family at Caprio’s service.

Caprio’s son, David Caprio, welcomed members of the public to attend his father’s visitation on Thursday and his Friday funeral Mass at Providence’s Cathedral of Saints Peter & Paul, which will also be livestreamed on the former judge’s social media pages. In a phone interview with The Associated Press, he said supporters of his father were traveling to Rhode Island from as far as the Philippines to attend his services.

“Your love is really helping us through this difficult time,” David Caprio said in a video posted on social media.

Caprio billed his courtroom as a place “where people and cases are met with kindness and compassion.” He was known for dismissing tickets or showing kindness even when he handed out justice. The show, produced by his brother, ran for more than two decades on local television until being nationally syndicated in 2018. Caprio retired from the bench in 2023.

Clips from the show have had more than 1 billion views on social media. His most popular videos have been those where he calls children to the bench to help pass judgment on their parents. One shows him listening sympathetically to a woman whose son was killed and then dismissing her tickets and fines of $400.

According to his biography, Caprio came from humble beginnings, the second of three boys in an Italian immigrant family in the Federal Hill neighborhood of Providence, Rhode Island. He said learned compassion from his father, who would wake Caprio and his brother up at four in the morning to accompany him on his route delivering milk.

“I saw firsthand how other hardworking people couldn’t afford to pay their bill and I saw how my dad treated them, you know?” Caprio told journalist Adrienne Bankert while promoting his biography, “Compassion in Court: Life-Changing Stories from America’s Nicest Judge,” earlier this year. “His company ordered him to stop delivery if they missed paying for two weeks. He never stopped delivery. Never.”

In a 2017 interview with the AP, Caprio said he knows that his courtroom may be the only interaction with the justice system many people ever have. He wanted it to be a positive one.

“Whether it’s justified or not, I think there is distrust of the institutions of government,” he said. “I think there’s a sense that there’s lacking in understanding and compassion and kindness with the institutions of government ... I’m not trying to change the world, but I’m trying to do my part to dispel those thoughts, those feelings.”

Caprio’s funeral visitation will take place at the Rhode Island Convention Center in Providence on Thursday from 3 to 7 p.m. and be followed by a funeral Mass at Providence’s Cathedral of Saints Peter & Paul on Friday at 10 a.m.


Indonesia’s anti-graft body runs out of detention space amid string of corruption arrests

Indonesia’s anti-graft body runs out of detention space amid string of corruption arrests
Updated 36 sec ago

Indonesia’s anti-graft body runs out of detention space amid string of corruption arrests

Indonesia’s anti-graft body runs out of detention space amid string of corruption arrests
  • Corruption Eradication Commission arrested country’s deputy manpower minister last week
  • Indonesian president, who took office in October, has pledged to stamp out corruption

JAKARTA: Indonesia’s anti-graft agency said on Thursday that its detention facilities have run out of space to hold corruption suspects, following a series of high-profile sting operations this year.

Graft is a longstanding problem in Southeast Asia’s largest economy, with Indonesia ranked 99 out of 180 countries in Transparency International’s 2024 Corruption Perceptions Index.

The Corruption Eradication Commission has conducted at least five sting operations in 2025, including last week’s arrest of Deputy Manpower Minister Immanuel Ebenezer, making him the first member of President Prabowo Subianto’s cabinet to be arrested for graft.

“The ideal capacity for KPK’s detention center … is 51 people. Right now, we have 57 people in custody,” KPK spokesperson Budi Prasetyo said.

“Even though it is full now, it does not hinder the eradication of corruption that KPK is doing.”

Prabowo, who took office last October, has pledged to step up efforts to eradicate corruption, which he says drained government finances.

“(Indonesia has) extraordinary wealth, but there are too many thieves stealing money that belongs to the people. And for that, I am determined to put things in order,” he said during an event in Jakarta in June.

But the recent string of arrests is “not comparable to the number of alleged corruption cases” in Indonesia, said political analyst and anti-corruption activist Ray Rangkuti.

“We’re probably looking at one-tenth or even less than that, in terms of the actual number of corruption allegations that are widespread in Indonesia,” he told Arab News.

“Why didn’t KPK make a bigger detention center from the start? People know that here in Indonesia, anything is corruptible.”

Rangkuti viewed KPK’s recent arrests as “small fish,” highlighting Ebenezer’s case.

“They just arrested the deputy minister. But is it just him doing graft? There are 11 people arrested in connection to that case, but it’s a trivial one,” he said.

Anti-graft investigators said Ebenezer and other defendants benefited from illegal fees for the processing of safety permits needed by construction, mining or manufacturing employees to get work.

They are accused of charging 6 million rupiah, or $367.59, for the documents, far higher than the official rate of 250,000 rupiah, the proceeds of which were later distributed to ministry officials.

“My impression is that they are racing for quantity, not quality,” Rangkuti said. “So they’re sending a lot of people to jail, even though the cases are relatively small.”


Kremlin says it remains interested in pursuing Ukraine peace talks despite overnight strike on Kyiv

Kremlin says it remains interested in pursuing Ukraine peace talks despite overnight strike on Kyiv
Updated 28 August 2025

Kremlin says it remains interested in pursuing Ukraine peace talks despite overnight strike on Kyiv

Kremlin says it remains interested in pursuing Ukraine peace talks despite overnight strike on Kyiv
  • Ukrainian officials said the attack had killed at least 15 people, including four children, in a strike on the Ukrainian capital that President Volodymyr Zelensky said was Moscow’s answer to diplomatic efforts to end its war

MOSCOW: The Kremlin said on Thursday that it was still interested in pursuing peace talks on Ukraine despite a large and deadly Russian overnight strike on Kyiv.
Ukrainian officials said the attack had killed at least 15 people, including four children, in a strike on the Ukrainian capital that President Volodymyr Zelensky said was Moscow’s answer to diplomatic efforts to end its war.
Asked if there was a contradiction between Moscow’s stated desire to make progress in peace talks and the attack, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters that both sides were continuing to attack each other but that Russia was still interested in achieving its goals via diplomacy.
Russian forces were continuing to target Ukrainian military and military-related infrastructure, he said. Peskov has repeatedly said that Russia does not deliberately target civilians.
He said Ukraine was continuing its own strikes against Russian infrastructure too, including against civilian infrastructure.
“The special military operation continues. You can see that strikes on Russian infrastructure, often on Russian civilian infrastructure, by the Kyiv regime are also continuing.
“The Russian armed forces are also carrying out their tasks. As stated, they continue to strike military and military-related infrastructure.
The strikes are successful, the targets are being destroyed, and the special military operation continues. At the same time, Russia remains interested in continuing the negotiation process in order to achieve our goals through political and diplomatic means.”


Two Pakistan towns face flood risk if river barrage crumbles, officials say

Two Pakistan towns face flood risk if river barrage crumbles, officials say
Updated 28 August 2025

Two Pakistan towns face flood risk if river barrage crumbles, officials say

Two Pakistan towns face flood risk if river barrage crumbles, officials say
  • The threat comes as India’s release of excess water this week from its dams swelled river flows downstream in its neighbor’s breadbasket province of Punjab

LAHORE/SRINAGAR: Pakistan’s eastern towns of Chiniot and Hafizabad face a risk of catastrophic floods if an irrigation barrage crumbles on a major river upstream after heavy rains swelled it beyond capacity, officials warned on Thursday.
Nuclear-armed neighbors India and Pakistan are battling torrential monsoon rains that have unleashed flash floods, swelled rivers and filled dams, with 60 deaths this month in Indian Kashmir, and Pakistan’s toll at 805 since late June.
Any flooding blamed on India stands to inflame relations between the archfoes, embroiled in a tense stand-off since a brief conflict in May that was their worst fighting in decades.
The waters of the Chenab river in Pakistan’s sprawling province of Punjab threatened to burst through a 3,300-foot (1,000-m) concrete barrage at Qadirabad that regulates flows, siphoning them into a canal irrigation network.
“It is a crisis situation,” said a technical expert at the National Disaster Management Authority, adding that the collapse of the barrage could wash away the towns, home to more than 2.8 million.
“Under the constant supervision of experts and administration, the water level is receding, but it is still not beyond danger levels,” added the official, who sought anonymity as he was not authorized to speak to the media.
The threat comes as India’s release of excess water this week from its dams swelled river flows downstream in its neighbor’s breadbasket province of Punjab, home to half the population of 240 million.
Authorities said Pakistan evacuated more than 210,000 villagers near the rivers Ravi, Sutlej and Chenab that flow in from India, where heavy rain battered the northern region of Jammu, killing 60 people this month.
India routinely releases water from its dams when they get too full, with the excess flowing into Pakistan, accompanied by warnings from New Delhi, which calls them a humanitarian measure.
On Thursday, Pakistani officials said India passed on its third flood warning since Sunday, this time for the Sutlej, while the previous two concerned waters heading into Pakistan on the Ravi.
India’s water resources ministry did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment on the matter.
More than 900,000 cusec of water passed through the Qadirabad distribution structure on the Chenab river, or 100,000 cusec in excess of its capacity, the provincial disaster management authority said.
A cusec is a flow of volume equivalent to one cubic foot, or 28 cubic liters, every second.
On Wednesday, authorities blew up part of the riverbank to release some water before it reached the barrage.
Twelve people had been killed this week in Punjab, said Marriyum Aurangzeb, a senior minister in the provincial government.
“As one nation, we will face this challenge together,” said Aurangzeb, standing on the banks of the swollen Ravi. “There is no need to panic.”
The waters of Pakistan’s eastern rivers join those of northern rivers in Punjab in the giant Indus river, to flow through the province of Sindh before emptying into the sea.
On the other side of the border, Himalayan river levels began to recede after days of heavy rains that triggered landslides and flooding in both countries, with forecasters expecting downpours to subside from Thursday.


UK party leader to boycott Trump state dinner over Gaza

UK party leader to boycott Trump state dinner over Gaza
Updated 28 August 2025

UK party leader to boycott Trump state dinner over Gaza

UK party leader to boycott Trump state dinner over Gaza
  • A UK opposition party leader will boycott a banquet thrown by King Charles during Donald Trump’s state visit to Britain next month over the US president’s stance on the war in Gaza

LONDON: A UK opposition party leader will boycott a banquet thrown by King Charles during Donald Trump’s state visit to Britain next month over the US president’s stance on the war in Gaza.
Liberal Democrats leader Ed Davey said he wants to send a “strong message” by declining the invitation to the lavish dinner.
Trump is due to visit the UK from September 17 to 19 for an unprecedented second state visit, which will include a banquet thrown in his honor by the king.
“I feel a responsibility to do whatever I can to ensure the people in Gaza are not forgotten during the pomp and ceremony,” Davey, leader of the third largest party in parliament, wrote in The Guardian on Wednesday.
“Boycotting the state banquet is not something I ever wanted to do, but I believe it is the only way I can send a message to both Trump and (UK Prime Minister Keir) Starmer that they cannot close their eyes and wish this away,” he added.
“I have come to the conclusion that on this occasion I must refuse.”
The opposition Conservative party criticized the decision as “an act of deep disrespect.”
But Davey told BBC Radio 4 on Thursday “no disrespect is meant to the king.”
Starmer presented the personal invitation from Charles to a delighted Trump during a visit to Washington in February.
The US leader’s 2019 state visit was marred by large protests, and demonstrations are already planned for the forthcoming trip.
Several politicians, including then-Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, also boycotted Trump’s state dinner at Buckingham Palace in 2019.


Cholera outbreak in northwest Nigeria kills eight, infects over 200

Cholera outbreak in northwest Nigeria kills eight, infects over 200
Updated 28 August 2025

Cholera outbreak in northwest Nigeria kills eight, infects over 200

Cholera outbreak in northwest Nigeria kills eight, infects over 200
  • Cholera, a water-borne disease, is not uncommon in Nigeria where health officials cite widespread shortages of clean water in rural areas and urban slums

ABUJA: A cholera outbreak in Bukkuyum district of Zamfara state, northwest Nigeria, has claimed at least eight lives and infected over 200 people across 11 communities, residents and local officials said on Thursday, as limited health care access and insecurity exacerbate the crisis.
Cholera, a water-borne disease, is not uncommon in Nigeria where health officials cite widespread shortages of clean water in rural areas and urban slums.
The affected rural communities, including Nasarawa-Burkullu, Gurusu, and Adabka, have been overwhelmed, with many patients treated at home due to the lack of primary health care facilities.
“We have over 21 patients presently admitted, although three died due to delays in reaching Nasarawa General Hospital,” Muhammad Jibci, village head of Gurusu told Reuters by phone late on Thursday.
Ya’u Umar, another resident from the affected communities, said 53 people were infected in his village. “We don’t have medicine or drips. Bandits prevent us from going to the city,” he said.
Zamfara is the epicenter of attacks by armed men, known locally as bandits, where rising violence in recent months have made travel and farming dangerous. Gangs routinely abduct villagers and travelers for ransom and extort farming communities.
Sulaiman Abubakar Gumi, a federal lawmaker, called for urgent action from the Zamfara government and international NGOs. “Any delay will cost more lives, especially among women and children,” he said, urging the deployment of emergency response teams, and cholera treatment centers.
Zamfara health authorities have yet to issue an official statement on the outbreak.