ֱ

Swiatek survives Eala scare to start Madrid Open defense

Swiatek survives Eala scare to start Madrid Open defense
Poland’s Iga Swiatek returns the ball to Philippines’ Alexandra Eala during their 2025 WTA Tour Madrid Open tennis tournament second round singles match at the Caja Magica in Madrid, on Apr. 24, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 24 April 2025

Swiatek survives Eala scare to start Madrid Open defense

Swiatek survives Eala scare to start Madrid Open defense
  • “It wasn’t easy to get into the rhythm and the right timing and I’m happy that I was just patient,” Swiatek said
  • “I always love playing here”

MADRID: Defending Madrid Open champion Iga Swiatek survived a debut scare to beat rising teenage star Alexandra Eala 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 on Thursday and reach the third round in the Spanish capital.
The 19-year-old Filipino, who beat Swiatek in straight sets on a shock run to the Miami Open semifinals in March, claimed the first set as the world number two struggled.
Swiatek, who has been below her best so far this season, found her rhythm in the second set and eventually downed Eala, ranked 72nd, with ease in the third.
“It wasn’t easy to get into the rhythm and the right timing and I’m happy that I was just patient,” Swiatek told Spanish broadcaster TVE.
“I always love playing here, for sure I’m proud of my performances in the last two years.”
Eala broke Swiatek in the first game and produced two battling holds on her first two service games, saving two break points in each as the Pole hunted for a way back in.
The exciting Filipino saved another break point in the sixth game before breaking Swiatek to love for a 5-2 lead in the Madrid sun.
Clay court expert Swiatek recovered a break but Eala was able to serve out her advantage, capturing her third set point when the five-time Grand Slam champion sent a backhand long.
Swiatek only converted one of six first-set break points against the resilient Eala, who won both of hers.
The teenager again broke in the first game of the second set, but this time Swiatek, who has four French Open titles, was able to respond immediately.
When Eala broke again for a 3-2 lead, Swiatek followed suit to get back on serve, with the Pole raising her level toward the end of the second set.
She broke to love in the 10th game to force a deciding set and sped through it, securing breaks in the second and sixth games.
Eala wrestled a break back and saved a match point as Swiatek overcooked a backhand, but eventually the reigning champion triumphed as the teenager went long.
Swiatek will face Czech Linda Noskova in the third round.
In other matches, Anastasija Sevastova ousted 2017 French Open winner and Latvian compatriot Jelena Ostapenko 7-6 (7/2), 6-2. Ostapenko beat Swiatek in the Stuttgart quarter-finals last week.


Fernandes lifts Man Utd gloom, Frank suffers first league loss with Spurs

Fernandes lifts Man Utd gloom, Frank suffers first league loss with Spurs
Updated 23 sec ago

Fernandes lifts Man Utd gloom, Frank suffers first league loss with Spurs

Fernandes lifts Man Utd gloom, Frank suffers first league loss with Spurs
United were on the brink of another damaging result after promoted Burnley twice came from behind at Old Trafford
“I was frustrated like any Man United fan, we had chances to score more goals. But today we were the better team,” Amorim said


LONDON: Bruno Fernandes eased the pressure on Manchester United boss Ruben Amorim as his last-gasp penalty sealed a 3-2 win over Burnley, while Thomas Frank suffered his first Premier League defeat as Tottenham manager to Bournemouth on Saturday.

Just days after a humiliating League Cup second-round loss at fourth-tier Grimsby, United were on the brink of another damaging result after promoted Burnley twice came from behind at Old Trafford.

Amorim had admitted after the Grimsby debacle that he sometimes thinks about quitting and often “hates” his players.

His mood would have been even darker before United captain Fernandes came to the rescue seven minutes into stoppage time.

United’s first win in three league games this season will give Amorim some much-needed respite heading into the international break, although questions will still be asked of the Portuguese coach after his side’s latest erratic display.

Luck was on United’s side when they took the lead in the 26th minute.

Casemiro’s header thumped off the crossbar and hit Burnley captain Josh Cullen on the back, ricocheting over the line before Martin Dubravka could claw it away.

Lyle Foster hauled Burnley level with a 55th-minute finish from Jacob Bruun Larsen’s cross.

Bryan Mbeumo put United back in the lead just 15 seconds later when he slammed in Diogo Dalot’s cutback for his first league goal since his summer move from Brentford.

United’s frailties were punished again as Jaidon Anthony equalized in the 66th minute.

But in the final moments Anthony pulled Amad Diallo, with a lengthy VAR check concluding the foul continued inside the area, conceding a controversial penalty that Fernandes gratefully tucked away to Amorim’s immense relief.

“I was frustrated like any Man United fan, we had chances to score more goals. But today we were the better team,” Amorim said.

Tottenham were beaten 1-0 by Bournemouth to end Frank’s strong start since he arrived from Brentford to replace the sacked Ange Postecoglou in the close-season.

Spurs had won their first two league games under the Dane without conceding a goal, including a 2-0 win at Manchester City last weekend.

But Evanilson struck in the fifth minute with a deflected shot as Bournemouth left north London with their second win this term.

Jack Grealish starred as Everton beat Wolves 3-2 at Molineux.

Beto headed Everton in front from Grealish’s flick after seven minutes before Wolves forward Hwang Hee-chan levelled in the 21st minute.

Iliman Ndiaye restored Everton’s advantage in the 33rd minute, applying the finishing touch to a flowing move involving on-loan Manchester City winger Grealish and Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall.

Dewsbury-Hall bagged Everton’s third, blasting home from Grealish’s pass in the 55th minute before Rodrigo Gomes reduced the deficit in the 79th minute.

Newcastle again badly missed the presence of a striker in their second 0-0 of the season away to Leeds.

New club record signing Nick Woltemade watched on from the stands after joining from Stuttgart on Saturday, which could see the wantaway Alexander Isak get his wish of a move to Liverpool.

Newcastle remain without a win this season.

Sunderland staged an impressive fightback to beat Brentford 2-1 at the Stadium of Light thanks to Wilson Isidor’s stoppage time header.

Jonathan Figy shines at DP World ILT20 Development Tournament, eyes UAE return 

Jonathan Figy shines at DP World ILT20 Development Tournament, eyes UAE return 
Updated 49 min 26 sec ago

Jonathan Figy shines at DP World ILT20 Development Tournament, eyes UAE return 

Jonathan Figy shines at DP World ILT20 Development Tournament, eyes UAE return 
  • ‘A strong performance here can open doors not just in franchise cricket, but also for UAE selection,’ he says 
  • Tournament gives UAE’s upcoming cricketers a platform to showcase their talent ahead of DP World ILT20 2025 Player Auction 

DUBAI: Jonathan Figy has been in sensational form while leading the Gulf Giants Development at the DP World ILT20 Development Tournament. The 24-year-old has amassed 180 runs in four matches, including three half-centuries, taking the team to two wins in four matches.

The UAE-born cricketer has showcased both his value to the team and highlighted his ambition to make a return to the national side. 

“Three 50s in four games feels good, especially against strong bowling attacks,” Figy said. “I’m happy to get runs and contribute to the team. Conditions haven’t been easy with movement under lights. There has been a bit for the spinners as well, but I’ve applied myself and it’s paying off. Hopefully, I’ll continue getting some big innings.” 

The left-hander has already represented the UAE, having played two ODIs for the senior side. He also holds the distinction of being the UAE’s first and only U19 World Cup centurion, achieved in the 2020 edition that also saw India’s Yashasvi Jaiswal finish as the tournament’s top scorer.  

Since returning from the UK in 2022, Figy has featured heavily in domestic cricket and now sees the DP World ILT20 Development Tournament as the perfect springboard, especially with the DP World ILT20 Season Four Player Auction coming up. “Ideally, I’d love to play in the DP World ILT20 and test myself alongside international stars. To get that opportunity would be great and it’s where my game can improve. Most importantly, I aim to be back in the UAE side. Playing for the country is the ultimate honor,” he said. 

Reflecting on his personal connection to the UAE, he added: “I was born and raised here. Wearing that jersey is a huge honor, and I’m working hard to give myself the best chance to get back in the side.” 

Figy also highlighted the tournament’s broader significance.

“This competition gives us exposure and visibility. The Emirates Cricket Board has done a fantastic job creating opportunities for UAE players. A strong performance here can open doors not just in franchise cricket, but also for UAE selection. To brush shoulders with top international stars and compete at this level can really take your game to the next level.” 


Ten Hag’s Leverkusen collapse to draw at 10-man Bremen

Ten Hag’s Leverkusen collapse to draw at 10-man Bremen
Updated 30 August 2025

Ten Hag’s Leverkusen collapse to draw at 10-man Bremen

Ten Hag’s Leverkusen collapse to draw at 10-man Bremen
  • Leverkusen let Bremen back into the match when goalkeeper Mark Flekken advanced out of his area and misjudged a long ball
  • Coulibaly, 18, is Bremen’s youngest ever goalscorer in the Bundesliga

BERLIN: Bayer Leverkusen let a two-goal lead slip to draw 3-3 at 10-man Werder Bremen on Saturday, denying new coach Erik ten Hag his first league win in charge.

Leverkusen were 3-1 ahead and a man up after Patrik Schick’s Panenka penalty midway through the second-half, with Bremen’s Niklas Stark shown a second yellow card for the foul which led to the spot-kick.

But Leverkusen let Bremen back into the match when goalkeeper Mark Flekken advanced out of his area and misjudged a long ball, allowing Isaac Schmidt the easiest of finishes.

Bremen continued to attack and snatched a point in the fourth minute of stoppage time, Karim Coulibaly volleying in after the ball bounced off the crossbar.

Coulibaly, 18, is Bremen’s youngest ever goalscorer in the Bundesliga.

Leverkusen were also 2-0 up in the first half after Schick scored a fifth-minute opener and debutant Malik Tillman added another on the 35th-minute mark.

Bremen won a controversial penalty, converted by Romano Schmidt on the stroke of half-time, before the second-half drama.

The result puts some early pressure on Ten Hag who is trying to weave together a team full of new recruits, while reviving his own reputation after a poor end to his Manchester United stint.

“There were too many simple mistakes from us... we did dumb things and gave the game away,” Tillman told DAZN.

Despite the disappointment, the draw kept Leverkusen’s remarkable away run alive, with the club unbeaten on the road in the league since May 2023.

“(It is) hard to accept. We have to improve very quickly. Obviously, this is not a good situation,” Schick said.

Elsewhere, new Eintracht Frankfurt winger Ritsu Doan scored a brace and added an assist as his side cruised to a 3-1 win at Hoffenheim.

Japan winger Doan, who arrived from Freiburg in the summer, netted Frankfurt’s opener on 17 minutes with a superb curling effort from well outside the box.

Doan doubled up 10 minutes later, tapping in a Jean-Matteo Bahoya pass on the break, before laying on an excellent pass for Can Uzun to score Frankfurt’s third.

Stuttgart beat Borussia Moenchengladbach 1-0 at home thanks to a late header from Chema Andres, just hours after striker Nick Woltemade’s departure to Newcastle was made official.

The German Cup holders were sluggish but grabbed the three points when Andres headed in with 79 minutes played after some poor marking by the Gladbach defense.

RB Leipzig bounced back from last week’s 6-0 drubbing at the hands of Bayern Munich, winning 2-0 at home against Heidenheim thanks to goals from Christoph Baumgartner and new striker Romulo Cardoso.

In Saturday’s late game, defending champions Bayern play at Bavarian neighbors Augsburg.


Paraguay’s World Rally Championship debut heralds ‘exciting era’ for rallying, says FIA president

Paraguay’s World Rally Championship debut heralds ‘exciting era’ for rallying, says FIA president
Updated 30 August 2025

Paraguay’s World Rally Championship debut heralds ‘exciting era’ for rallying, says FIA president

Paraguay’s World Rally Championship debut heralds ‘exciting era’ for rallying, says FIA president
  • Mohammed Ben Sulayem hails historic moment for host country, South America, and global motorsport, with ֱ next to enter world championship stage

DUBAI: Mohammed Ben Sulayem, president of the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile, said Paraguay’s debut in the FIA World Rally Championship this weekend and the season finale in ֱ point the way toward an exciting new era for rallying at the highest level.

Ben Sulayem was present at the FIA’s ceremonial opening of the inaugural FIA WRC Rally del Paraguay 2025 on Friday, along with the President of Paraguay, Santiago Pena.

Taking place in Encarnacion, in the Itapua region, the country’s maiden appearance on the WRC calendar marks a historic moment for Paraguayan motorsport, building on a united passion for racing and rich rally heritage.

With the new WRC Rally ֱ rounding off the 2025 season in November, and the process to secure a new WRC commercial rights holder under way, Ben Sulayem believes the championship will continue to grow and reach new heights. 

Speaking at the opening ceremony, the FIA president said: “This is a historic moment for Paraguay, for South America, and for global motorsport. Over the coming days the eyes of the world will be on Encarnacion, and on Paraguay. That is the power of motorsport, of collaboration, and of the FIA.

“There is no doubt Paraguay has a profound love for motorsport. Here, rallying is more than a sport. It is part of the national identity. It is a passion built on resilience, courage, and dedication.

“The FIA WRC is entering an exciting new era. With another new event to follow in ֱ, millions of fans worldwide following the action, and younger audiences driving global growth, the championship is ready to rise to the next level.

“Thank you, President Pena for your warm welcome, your generous hospitality, and your true friendship. Your leadership and support for this sport we love has made this moment possible,” he added.

“Thank you to the Touring y Automovil Club Paraguayo. Your work reflects the very values of the FIA. Thank you to the drivers, the teams, the organizer — Comite Olimpico Paraguayo, the officials, the volunteers, and to all the rally fans. Without you none of this would be possible.”

With the ceremonial opening completed, the FIA WRC Rally del Paraguay moved onto its multi-stage competition, with drivers facing a mix of smooth red-earth stages and trickier technical sections through dense vegetation.

Earlier this month the FIA, the governing body for world motorsport and the federation for mobility organizations worldwide, announced that a tender process will be run for a new commercial rights holder of the FIA WRC.

It followed an extensive period of discussions by the FIA with Red Bull and KW25, the current commercial rights holders, who have taken the decision to commence the process.

The FIA World Rally Championship has seen a surge in popularity in recent years, attracting a cumulative television audience of 1.3 billion and more than 4 million on-site visitors in 2024.


Chelsea’s Delap may be out for weeks after injury during Fulham win, Maresca says

Chelsea’s Delap may be out for weeks after injury during Fulham win, Maresca says
Updated 30 August 2025

Chelsea’s Delap may be out for weeks after injury during Fulham win, Maresca says

Chelsea’s Delap may be out for weeks after injury during Fulham win, Maresca says
  • Delap went down clutching his thigh 13 minutes into the home game
  • Three key Chelsea players have now suffered injuries this month

LONDON: Chelsea striker Liam Delap may be out for weeks after suffering a hamstring injury during Saturday’s 2-0 Premier League win over Fulham, manager Enzo Maresca said.

Delap went down clutching his thigh 13 minutes into the home game and walked straight into the tunnel after the medics had looked at it.

Three key Chelsea players have now suffered injuries this month, with attacker Cole Palmer also absent due to a groin injury and center back Levi Colwill ruled out for most of the season with a cruciate ligament tear.

“Injury doesn’t look good. He was full speed, hamstring, so that requires weeks,” Maresca told a press conference.

Maresca, who said Chelsea would look to sign another defender after Colwill’s injury, did not rule out going into the market for another striker.

“When you have two strikers, it is enough. When one of them is injured for weeks, it is probably not enough,” he said.

The manager said he could not tell if this summer’s Club World Cup campaign, which Chelsea won, played any role in the injuries.

Maresca, however, was happy to have two league wins in a row after being held to a goalless draw by Crystal Palace in their opening league game.

“I’m very happy. We have seven points, it’s important. I wasn’t happy after the first half because we didn’t play on the ball in the way we prepared. Second half, we were very good on the ball and good with second balls. We dominated the second half,” he added.