șŁœÇֱȄ

Three Israeli hostages freed in Gaza, Israel releases 369 Palestinians in exchange

Update Three Israeli hostages freed in Gaza, Israel releases 369 Palestinians in exchange
1 / 2
US-Israeli Sagui Dekel-Chen and Russian-Israeli Sasha (Alexander) Troufanov, hostages held in Gaza since the deadly October 7, 2023 attack, are released by Palestinian Hamas and Islamic Jihad militants as part of a ceasefire and a hostages-prisoners swap deal between Hamas and Israel, in Khan Younis, in the southern Gaza Strip, February 15, 2025. (Reuters)
Update Three Israeli hostages freed in Gaza, Israel releases 369 Palestinians in exchange
2 / 2
Hamas is set to free 3 more Israeli hostages after dispute threatened to reignite war in Gaza. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 15 February 2025

Three Israeli hostages freed in Gaza, Israel releases 369 Palestinians in exchange

Three Israeli hostages freed in Gaza, Israel releases 369 Palestinians in exchange
  • The truce that began nearly four weeks ago had been jeopardized in recent days by a tense dispute that threatened to renew the fighting

KHAN YOUNIS: Hamas released Israeli hostages Iair Horn, Sagui Dekel Chen and Sasha (Alexander) Troufanov in Gaza on Saturday and Israel freed some 369 Palestinian prisoners and detainees in exchange, after mediators helped avert a collapse of the fragile ceasefire.
The three Israelis were led onto a stage with Palestinian Hamas militants armed with automatic rifles standing on each side of them at the site in Khan Younis, live footage showed, before they were taken back into Israel by Israeli forces.
Shortly afterwards, buses carrying freed Palestinian prisoners and detainees departed Israel’s Ofer jail in the Israeli-occupied West Bank. The first bus arrived in Ramallah to a cheering crowd, some waving Palestinian flags.




Freed Palestinian prisoners gesture from a bus after being released by Israel as part of a hostages-prisoners swap and a ceasefire deal in Gaza between Hamas and Israel, in Khan Younis, in the southern Gaza Strip, February 15, 2025. (Reuters)

“We didn’t expect to be freed, but God is great, God set us free,” said Musa Nawarwa, 70, from the West Bank town of Bethlehem, who was serving two life terms for killings of Israeli soldiers in the West Bank.
Buses carrying some of the hundreds of Palestinian freed prisoners and detainees, some flashing victory signs as they hung from the windows, arrived later at the European Hospital in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip.

A few were returning to an enclave they have not seen for years, before it was blasted into rubble by Israeli airstrikes and shelling in 15 months of war. But most were rounded up after the Hamas-led October 7, 2023 attack on Israel.
The ceasefire’s second phase would usher in negotiations to return the remaining living hostages among the 251 seized that day, and complete an Israeli military withdrawal before a final end to the war and the reconstruction of Gaza.




Israeli hostages Iair Horn, 46, left, Sagui Dekel Chen, 36, center left, and Alexander Troufanov, 29, right, are escorted by Hamas and islamic Jihad fighters on a stage before being handed over to the Red Cross in Khan Younis, Gaza Strip, Saturday, Feb. 15, 2025. (AP)

Argentina-born Iair Horn, 46, was taken captive together with his younger brother Eitan. Horn appeared to have lost considerable weight in captivity.
“Now, we can breathe a little. Our Iair is home after surviving hell in Gaza. Now, we need to bring Eitan back so our family can truly breathe,” Horn’s family said in a statement.
The swap of the three Israelis for the 369 Palestinians allayed growing alarm that the ceasefire agreement could unravel before the end of the 42-day first stage of the truce pact in effect since January 19.
In what has become known as Hostage Square in Tel Aviv, people broke into cheers and tears after hearing the Red Cross was on its way to deliver the three to Israeli military forces.
Dekel Chen, a US-Israeli, Troufanov, a Russian Israeli, and Horn along with his brother Eitan were seized in Kibbutz Nir Oz, one of the communities near Gaza’s border that were overrun by Hamas gunmen on October 7, 2023.
Some of the dozens of masked Islamist Hamas fighters deployed at the handover site carried rifles seized from the Israeli military during the October attack, Hamas sources said.

On the handover stage in Khan Younis, the hostages were made to give short statements in Hebrew and militants presented Horn with an hourglass and photo of another Israeli hostage still in Gaza and his mother, reading “time is running out (for the hostages still in Gaza).”
Troufanov was abducted with his mother, grandmother and girlfriend — all of whom were released during a brief November 2023 pause in hostilities. His father was killed in the attack on Nir Oz, one of the worst-hit communities, where one in four people either died or were taken hostage.




A freed Palestinian prisoner is hugged by a boy after being released by Israel as part of a hostages-prisoners swap and a ceasefire deal in Gaza between Hamas and Israel, in Khan Younis, in the southern Gaza Strip, February 15, 2025. (Reuters)


On October 7, Dekel Chen, 36, left his pregnant wife and two little daughters in the family safe room to go out and fight gunmen rampaging through the kibbutz.
He embraced his tearful wife Avital tightly and said “perfect” with a big smile when she told him the name of their baby daughter, who he has not yet seen, was Shahar Mazal, Hebrew for “dawn” and “luck,” in a video released by the military.
Nineteen Israeli and five Thai hostages have been released so far, with 73 still in captivity, around half of whom have been declared dead in absentia by Israeli authorities.
Prospects for the ceasefire surviving have been shaken by US President Donald Trump’s call for Palestinians to be resettled permanently out of Gaza, and for the tiny enclave to be turned over to the US to be redeveloped as a seaside resort. That idea has been rejected out of hand by Palestinian groups, Arab states and Western allies of Washington.


Israeli airstrike kills Houthi militant prime minister in Sanaa

Israeli airstrike kills Houthi militant prime minister in Sanaa
Updated 34 min 44 sec ago

Israeli airstrike kills Houthi militant prime minister in Sanaa

Israeli airstrike kills Houthi militant prime minister in Sanaa
  • Ahmed Al-Rahawi was killed in a Thursday strike in Sanaa along with a number of ministers, the militants said
  • Other ministers and officials were wounded, the statement added without providing further details

CAIRO: The Houthis said Saturday an Israeli airstrike killed the prime minister of the militant-controlled government in Yemen’s capital, Sanaa, the most senior Houthi official killed in the Israeli-US campaign against the Iranian-backed militants.

Ahmed Al-Rahawi was killed in a Thursday strike in Sanaa along with a number of ministers, the militants said in a statement. Other ministers and officials were wounded, the statement added without providing further details.

The premier was targeted along with other members of his Houthi-controlled government during a “routine workshop held by the government to evaluate its activities and performance over the past year,” the Houthi statement said.

Thursday’s Israeli strike occurred as the militants-owned television station was broadcasting a speech for Abdul Malik Al-Houthi, the secretive leader of the militant group where he was sharing updates on the latest Gaza developments and vowing retaliation against Israel. Senior Houthi officials used to gather to watch Al-Houthi’s pre-recorded speeches.

On Thursday, The Israeli military said that it “precisely struck a Houthi terrorist regime military target in the area of Sanaa in Yemen.” The military had no immediate comment on Saturday’s announcement of the prime minister’s killing.

The prime minister hailed from the southern province of Abyan, and was an ally to former Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh. He allied himself with the Houthis when the militants overran Sanaa, and much of the north and center of the country in 2014, initiating the country’s long-running civil war. He was appointed as prime minister in August 2024.

Al-Rahawi is the most senior Houthi official to be killed since the United States and Israel began their air and naval campaign in response to the militants’ missile and drone attacks on Israel and on ships in the Red Sea.

The Houthis launched a campaign targeting ships in response to the Israel-Hamas war in the Gaza Strip, saying they were doing so in solidarity with the Palestinians. Their attacks over the past two years have upended shipping in the Red Sea, through which about $1 trillion of goods passes each year.

In May, the Trump administration announced a deal with the Houthis to end the airstrikes in return for an end to attacks on shipping. The militants, however, said the agreement did not include halting attacks on targets it believed were aligned with Israel.


Palestinian president's office urges US to reinstate his visa ahead of key UN meetings

Palestinian president's office urges US to reinstate his visa ahead of key UN meetings
Updated 30 August 2025

Palestinian president's office urges US to reinstate his visa ahead of key UN meetings

Palestinian president's office urges US to reinstate his visa ahead of key UN meetings
  • “This decision will only increase tension and escalation," Palestinian presidential spokesperson Nabil Abu Rudeineh said
  • “We have been in contact since yesterday with Arab and foreign countries, especially those directly concerned with this issue”

RAMALLAH: Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas’ office on Saturday urged the U.S. government to reverse its unusual decision to revoke his visa, weeks before he was meant to appear at the U.N.’s main annual meeting and an international conference about creating a Palestinian state.

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio rescinded the visas of Abbas and 80 other officials ahead of next month’s annual high-level meeting of the U.N. General Assembly, the State Department disclosed Friday. Abbas has addressed the General Assembly for many years, and generally leads the Palestinian delegation.

“We call upon the American administration to reverse its decision. This decision will only increase tension and escalation," Palestinian presidential spokesperson Nabil Abu Rudeineh told The Associated Press in Ramallah on Saturday.

“We have been in contact since yesterday with Arab and foreign countries, especially those directly concerned with this issue. This effort will continue around the clock," he said.

He urged other countries to put pressure on the Trump administration to reverse the decision, notably the countries that have organized a high-level conference on Sept. 22 about reviving efforts for a two-state solution for the Middle East. It is co-hosted by France and șŁœÇֱȄ.

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot protested restrictions on access to the U.N. General Assembly, and said he would discuss the issue with EU counterparts.

“The United Nations headquarters is a place of neutrality, a sanctuary dedicated to peace, where conflicts are resolved," he said Saturday. “The UN General Assembly 
 cannot suffer any restrictions on access.”

Abu Rudeineh also urged an end to Israel’s offensive in Gaza and "escalation in the West Bank, because none of this will lead to any solution.”

The move came as the Israeli military declared Gaza’s largest city a combat zone. Israel says Gaza City remains a stronghold of Hamas.

The Trump administration has taken several steps to target Palestinians with visa restrictions.

“It is in our national security interests to hold the PLO (Palestinian Liberation Organization) and PA (Palestinian Authority) accountable for not complying with their commitments, and for undermining the prospects for peace,” the State Department said in a statement.

The Palestinian Authority denounced the visa withdrawals as a violation of U.S. commitments as the host country of the United Nations. U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric said the world body would be seeking clarification from the State Department.


UAE sends ninth humanitarian ship for Gaza

UAE sends ninth humanitarian ship for Gaza
Updated 30 August 2025

UAE sends ninth humanitarian ship for Gaza

UAE sends ninth humanitarian ship for Gaza
  • The ship departed from Khalifa Port in Abu Dhabi and will dock at Egypt’s Al-Arish Port

DUBAI: The UAE has sent its ninth Hamdan humanitarian ship on Saturday to deliver vital supplies for the Palestinians in the Gaza Strip, as part of the country’s continuing ‘Operation Chivalrous Knight 3’ relief campaign.

The ship departed from Khalifa Port in Abu Dhabi and will dock at Egypt’s Al-Arish Port, where its cargo will be unloaded and subsequently delivered for residents in the besieged enclave, state news agency WAM reported.

The ship carries a total of 7,000 tonnes of relief supplies, including 5,000 tonnes of food parcels, 1,900 tonnes of food items to support community kitchens, 100 tonnes of medical tents for healthcare facilities and five fully equipped ambulances, WAM added.

The UAE and Cyprus have earlier engaged in a joint initiative to deliver vital humanitarian aid to Palestinians in Gaza, under the Amalthea Maritime Corridor program established in March 2024, to complement other international efforts to send aid to Gaza by land, air and sea.

The UAE also inaugurated a 7.5-km pipeline that will deliver desalinated water from Emirati desalination plants in Egypt to the Gaza Strip.

The pipeline, built under the UAE’s Operation Chivalrous Knight 3, has a capacity of about 2 million gallons per day, serving about 1 million people.


Red Cross chief says mass evacuation of Gaza City ‘impossible’

Red Cross chief says mass evacuation of Gaza City ‘impossible’
Updated 30 August 2025

Red Cross chief says mass evacuation of Gaza City ‘impossible’

Red Cross chief says mass evacuation of Gaza City ‘impossible’
  • “It is impossible that a mass evacuation of Gaza City could ever be done in a way that is safe,” the Red Cross says

GENEVA: The head of the international Red Cross on Saturday denounced Israel’s plans for a mass evacuation of Gaza City ahead of a military takeover, insisting there was no way it could be done safely.
“It is impossible that a mass evacuation of Gaza City could ever be done in a way that is safe and dignified under the current conditions,” International Committee of the Red Cross president Mirjana Spoljaric said in a statement.
“Such an evacuation would trigger a massive population movement that no area in the Gaza Strip can absorb, given the widespread destruction of civilian infrastructure and the extreme shortages of food, water, shelter and medical care,” she warned.
Her comments came after Israel’s military on Friday declared Gaza City “a dangerous combat zone,” as it prepared to conquer the occupied Palestinian territory’s largest city after almost two years of war.
The Israeli military did not call for the population to evacuate immediately but the army’s Arabic-language spokesman, Avichay Adraee, said on Wednesday that the city’s evacuation was “inevitable.”
Israel is under mounting pressure at home and abroad to end its devastating offensive in Gaza, where the vast majority of the population has been displaced at least once and the United Nations has declared a famine.
The UN estimates that nearly a million people currently live in Gaza governorate, which includes Gaza City and its surroundings in the north of the territory.
Any evacuation order “would be imposed on civilians who are already traumatized by months of fighting and terrified by what could come next,” Spoljaric said.
“Many are unable to comply with evacuation orders because they are starving, sick, injured or suffering from physical disabilities,” she pointed out, stressing that “all civilians are protected by international humanitarian law (IHL), whether they leave or stay behind, and must be allowed to return home.”
Spoljaric highlighted that “IHL requires that when evacuation orders are issued, Israel must do everything to ensure that civilians have satisfactory conditions of shelter, hygiene, health, safety and nutrition, and that families are not separated.”
“These conditions cannot currently be met in Gaza,” she said.
“This makes any evacuation not only unfeasible but incomprehensible under the present circumstances.”
The ICRC president reiterated the call for an immediate ceasefire, a mass-influx of aid and for Palestinian group Hamas to release its remaining Israeli hostages.
“Any further escalation of the conflict will only lead to more death, destruction and displacement,” she said.


Iran says eight arrested for suspected links to Israel’s Mossad spy agency

Iran says eight arrested for suspected links to Israel’s Mossad spy agency
Updated 30 August 2025

Iran says eight arrested for suspected links to Israel’s Mossad spy agency

Iran says eight arrested for suspected links to Israel’s Mossad spy agency
  • They are accused of having provided the information to the Mossad spy agency during Israel’s air war on Iran in June

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards said on Saturday they had arrested eight people suspected of trying to transmit the coordinates of sensitive sites and details about senior military figures to Israel’s Mossad, Iranian state media reported.

They are accused of having provided the information to the Mossad spy agency during Israel’s air war on Iran in June, when it attacked Iranian nuclear facilities and killed top military commanders as well as civilians in the worst blow to the Islamic Republic since the 1980s war with Iraq.

Iran retaliated with barrages of missiles on Israeli military sites, infrastructure and cities. The United States entered the war on June 22 with strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities.

A Guards statement alleged that the suspects had received specialized training from Mossad via online platforms. It said they were apprehended in northeastern Iran before carrying out their plans, and that materials for making launchers, bombs, explosives and booby traps had been seized.

State media reported earlier this month that Iranian police had arrested as many as 21,000 “suspects” during the 12-day war with Israel, though they did not say what these people had been suspected of doing.

Security forces conducted a campaign of widespread arrests and also stepped up their street presence during the brief war that ended in a US-brokered ceasefire.

Iran has executed at least eight people in recent months, including nuclear scientist Rouzbeh Vadi, hanged on August 9 for passing information to Israel about another scientist killed in Israeli airstrikes.