șŁœÇֱȄ

Israeli military claims strikes on Gaza hospital targeted Hamas camera without giving evidence

Update Israeli military claims strikes on Gaza hospital targeted Hamas camera without giving evidence
Demonstrators gather in solidarity with journalists killed by Israeli strikes in the Gaza Strip, during a protest organised by the Gaza Journalists Syndicate, in Gaza City. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 36 min 23 sec ago

Israeli military claims strikes on Gaza hospital targeted Hamas camera without giving evidence

Israeli military claims strikes on Gaza hospital targeted Hamas camera without giving evidence
  • Military’s chief of general staff acknowledged several “gaps” in the investigation so far
  • Israel has attacked hospitals multiple times throughout 22 months of war in Gaza

DEIR AL-BALAH, Gaza Strip: A deadly Israeli strike on a Gaza hospital that killed 20 people, including five journalists, was targeting what the military believed was a Hamas surveillance camera, as well as people identified as militants, the Israeli military said Tuesday.

The military issued the statement as part of its initial inquiry into the attack, which Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called a “tragic mishap.”

The military said the back-to-back strikes on southern Gaza’s largest hospital were ordered because soldiers believed militants were using the camera to observe Israeli forces and because Israel has long believed Hamas and other militant groups are present at hospitals, though Israeli officials rarely provide evidence to support that claim.

The military’s chief of general staff acknowledged several “gaps” in the investigation so far, including the kind of ammunition used to take out the camera.

The initial findings emerged Tuesday as a surge of outrage and unanswered questions mounted, after international leaders and rights groups condemned the strikes.

“The killing of journalists in Gaza should shock the world,” said United Nations Human Rights Office spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan. “Not into stunned silence but into action, demanding accountability and justice.”

Among the journalists killed in the strikes was Mariam Dagga, who worked for The Associated Press and other publications.

The Israeli military said there is an ongoing investigation into the chain of command that approved the strike. A military official who spoke on the condition of anonymity in line with military guidelines said both of the strikes that hit the hospital were launched from a tank.

Known as “double taps,” such consecutive strikes have drawn condemnation in wars in Ukraine and Syria, particularly when they hit civilians or medical workers rushing to help.

Israel has attacked hospitals multiple times throughout 22 months of war in Gaza, asserting that Hamas embeds itself in and around the facilities. Hamas security personnel have been seen inside such facilities over the course of the war, and parts of them have been off limits to reporters and the public.

Among the six people killed Monday that Israel claimed were militants was Imad Al-Shaar, a driver with Gaza’s civil defense agency, which operates under the Hamas-run Interior Ministry, according to the agency and Nasser hospital’s casualty list.

Israel has in the past identified emergency responders that work under the Hamas-run government as militants to be targeted, including in the killing of 15 medics in March, when Israeli troops opened fire on ambulances in southern Gaza.

Protests in Israel as Netanyahu meets with security cabinet

Earlier Tuesday, protesters in Israel set tires ablaze, blocked highways and clamored for a ceasefire that would free hostages still in Gaza, even as Israeli leaders moved forward with plans for an offensive into Gaza City that they argue is needed to defeat Hamas.

Meanwhile, Palestinians in Gaza braced for the expanded offensive against a backdrop of displacement, destruction and parts of the territory plunging into famine.

Netanyahu was expected to convene a security cabinet meeting later Tuesday. However, the government said the meeting would not include discussion of ceasefire talks, according to an official with knowledge of the situation. The official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak on the matter, said there was a delegation from Egypt in Israel on Monday, and they discussed the negotiations.

Netanyahu has said that Israel will launch its expanded offensive in Gaza City while simultaneously pursuing a ceasefire, though Israel has yet to send a negotiating team to discuss a proposal on the table. Netanyahu has said the offensive is the best way to weaken Hamas and return hostages, but hostage families and their supporters have pushed back.

“Go back to the negotiation table. There’s a good deal on the table. It’s something we can work with,” said Ruby Chen, the father of 21-year-old Itay Chen, a dual Israeli-American citizen whose body is being held in Gaza. “We could get a deal done to bring all the hostages back.”

Hamas took 251 hostages on Oct. 7, 2023, in the attack that triggered the current war. Most have been released during previous ceasefires. Israel has managed to rescue only eight hostages alive. Fifty remain in Gaza, and Israeli officials believe around 20 are still alive.

Responding to a call from Israel’s Hostages and Missing Families Forum for a “National Day of Struggle,” protesters waved banners that read “Hostage Deal Now.” The relatives of hostages said they hope sustained public pressure can push Netanyahu and his security cabinet to commit to meaningful ceasefire talks. However, far-right members of his coalition have dismissed the protesters’ demands and threatened to resign if Israel agrees to a truce.

“We could have ended the war a year ago and brought all the hostages and soldiers home. We could have saved hostages and soldiers, but the prime minister chose, again and again, to sacrifice civilians for the sake of his rule,” said Einav Zangauker, whose 25-year-old son, Matan, was abducted from one of Israel’s hardest hit kibbutzim is among those believed to still be alive.

Israeli strikes continue after hospital attack

Israel’s military wants people in hospitals, displacement camps and Gaza City neighborhoods to evacuate southward to so-called safe zones so it can destroy Hamas and prevent attacks like the assault that killed about 1,200 people and triggered the war.

A day after the hospital strike, Israeli strikes killed at least 16 Palestinians on Tuesday, hospitals said.

Officials from Nasser Hospital, Shifa Hospital and Gaza City’s Sheikh Radwan clinic reported that among the 16 were families, women and children.

Also Tuesday, Gaza’s Health Ministry said that three more adults died of causes related to malnutrition and starvation, bringing the malnutrition-related death toll to 186 since late June, when the ministry started to count fatalities in that category. The toll includes 117 children since the start of the war.

Israel’s military offensive has killed 62,819, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry, which does not say how many were fighters or civilians but says around half were women and children. The ministry is part of the Hamas-run government and staffed by medical professionals. The UN and independent experts consider it the most reliable source on war casualties. Israel disputes its figures but has not provided its own.


Israel ups pressure on Gaza City as Trump eyes post-war plan

Updated 3 sec ago

Israel ups pressure on Gaza City as Trump eyes post-war plan

Israel ups pressure on Gaza City as Trump eyes post-war plan

GAZA: The Israeli military pressed operations around Gaza City on Wednesday, as President Donald Trump prepared to host a White House meeting on post-war plans for the shattered Palestinian territory.
Israel is under mounting pressure both at home and abroad to end its almost two-year campaign in Gaza, where the military is preparing to conquer the territory’s largest city and the United Nations has declared a famine.
Mediators have circulated a draft ceasefire and hostage release deal which has been accepted by Palestinian militant group Hamas, whose October 2023 attack triggered the devastating war. But Israel has yet to give an official response.
On the ground, the Israeli military said its troops were “operating on the outskirts of Gaza City to locate and dismantle terror infrastructure sites above and below ground.”
Residents of the Zeitoun neighborhood of the city spoke of heavy Israeli bombardment overnight.
“Warplanes struck several times, and drones fired throughout the night,” Tala Al-Khatib, 29, told AFP by telephone.
“Several homes in Zeitoun were blown up. We are still in our house — some neighbors have fled, while others remain. But wherever you flee, death follows you,” she said.
Abdel Hamid Al-Sayfi, 62, said he hadn’t gone outdoors since Tuesday afternoon.
“Whoever steps outside is fired upon by the drones,” he told AFP by telephone.
“My phone battery is about to die, and once it does, we will lose all contact. Our fate is unknown.”
Defense Minister Israel Katz vowed on Friday to destroy Gaza City if Hamas does not agree to end the war on Israel’s terms.
It came after the defense ministry approved the military’s plan to seize the city and authorized the call-up of roughly 60,000 reservists.
It also came as the United Nations officially declared a famine in Gaza governorate, including Gaza City, that it blamed on “systematic obstruction of aid” by Israel.
As pressure builds on Israel to wrap up its offensive, Donald Trump’s special envoy Steve Witkoff said the US president would host top officials at the White House on Wednesday to thrash out a detailed plan for post-war Gaza.
“We’ve got a large meeting in the White House tomorrow, chaired by the president, and it’s a very comprehensive plan we’re putting together on the next day,” Witkoff said on Fox News, without offering more details.
Trump stunned the world earlier this year when he suggested the United States should take control of the Gaza Strip, clear out its inhabitants and redevelop it as seaside real estate.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu praised the proposal, which sparked an outcry in Europe and the Arab world.

HOSTAGE PROTESTS
As Israel’s security cabinet convened on Tuesday evening, tens of thousands of protesters massed in commercial hub Tel Aviv to demand an end to the war and a deal to return the hostages.
Afterwards, Netanyahu declined to be drawn on what had been decided. “But I will say one thing: it started in Gaza and it will end in Gaza. We will not leave those monsters there,” he said.
Netanyahu last week ordered immediate talks aimed at securing the release of all remaining captives, while also doubling down on the plan to seize Gaza City.
That came days after Hamas said it had accepted the latest ceasefire proposal put forward by mediators, which would see the staggered release of hostages over an initial 60-day period in exchange for Palestinian prisoners held by Israel.
In Doha on Tuesday, Qatari foreign ministry spokesman Majed Al-Ansari told a regular news conference that mediators were still “waiting for an answer” from Israel.
The war was sparked by Hamas’s October 2023 attack, which resulted in the deaths of 1,219 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on Israeli figures.
Out of 251 hostages seized during the attack, 49 are still held in Gaza, including 27 the Israeli military says are dead.
Israel’s retaliatory offensive has killed at least 62,819 Palestinians, most of them civilians, according to figures from the health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza that the United Nations considers reliable.


Syria, UAE, Jordan condemn Israeli attacks on Syrian territory

Syria, UAE, Jordan condemn Israeli attacks on Syrian territory
Updated 27 min 34 sec ago

Syria, UAE, Jordan condemn Israeli attacks on Syrian territory

Syria, UAE, Jordan condemn Israeli attacks on Syrian territory
  • Israeli strikes hit the village of Tranja in Quneitra Province, where a civilian was killed when his home was bombed

DUBAI: Syria on Tuesday strongly condemned recent Israeli strikes on the village of Tranja in Quneitra Province, where a civilian was killed when his home was bombed.
The Syrian Foreign Ministry also denounced Israeli occupation forces for infiltration and arrest campaigns in Suwaysa town, and for declaring the continuation of their illegal presence on Mount Hermon and the buffer zone. 
These actions, it said, constitute a flagrant violation of the UN Charter, international law, and Security Council resolutions, posing a direct threat to regional peace and security.
The ministry reiterated its call on the international community, particularly the Security Council, to act urgently to stop the violations, while stressing Syria’s legitimate right to defend its land and people under international law.
The UAE also condemned the escalation, rejecting Israel’s repeated incursions into Syrian territory as a breach of the 1974 Disengagement Agreement and international law. 
It reaffirmed support for Syria’s sovereignty and stability, and urged immediate international action to halt the attacks.
Jordan echoed these concerns, denouncing the bombing and Israel’s continued presence on Syrian land as dangerous escalations. 
Foreign Ministry spokesperson Ambassador Sufian Qudah said Jordan’s solidarity with Syria and called on Israel to end its repeated violations, while urging the international community to compel compliance with international law and protect regional stability.


UN nuclear watchdog chief says inspectors ‘back in Iran’

UN nuclear watchdog chief says inspectors ‘back in Iran’
Updated 27 August 2025

UN nuclear watchdog chief says inspectors ‘back in Iran’

UN nuclear watchdog chief says inspectors ‘back in Iran’
  • The head of the UN’s nuclear watchdog has said a team of its inspectors are “back in Iran,” the first to enter since Israeli and US strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities this year

WASHINGTON: The head of the UN’s nuclear watchdog has said a team of its inspectors are “back in Iran,” the first to enter since Israeli and US strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities this year.
Iran suspended cooperation with the United Nations’ International Atomic Energy Agency following a 12-day war with Israel in June, with Tehran pointing to the IAEA’s failure to condemn Israeli and US strikes on its nuclear facilities.
“Now the first team of IAEA inspectors is back in Iran, and we are about to restart,” director general Rafael Grossi told Fox News’ “The Story” in an interview aired on Tuesday.
“When it comes to Iran, as you know, there are many facilities. Some were attacked, some were not,” Grossi said.
“So we are discussing what kind of... practical modalities can be implemented in order to facilitate the restart of our work there.”
The announcement came as Iran held talks with Britain, France and Germany in Geneva on Tuesday, with Tehran seeking to avert a sanctions snapback which the European powers have threatened to impose under a moribund 2015 nuclear deal.
Iran’s deputy foreign minister Kazem Gharibabadi, who attended the talks, said it was “high time” for the European trio “to make the right choice and give diplomacy time and space.”
Britain, France and Germany — parties to the 2015 deal — have threatened to trigger the accord’s “snapback mechanism” by the end of August.
Tuesday’s meeting was the second round of talks with European diplomats since the end of the June war, which was triggered by an unprecedented Israeli surprise attack.
The conflict derailed Iran’s nuclear negotiations with the United States.
It also cast a chill on Iran’s ties with the IAEA, with Tehran blaming the UN agency in part for the attacks on its nuclear facilities.
Israel says it launched the attacks to prevent Iran from developing a nuclear weapon — an ambition Tehran has repeatedly denied.
The 2015 nuclear deal was torpedoed in 2018 when Donald Trump, during his first term as president, unilaterally withdrew the United States and slapped sanctions on Iran.


Hamas challenges Israeli account of Gaza hospital casualties

Hamas challenges Israeli account of Gaza hospital casualties
Updated 27 August 2025

Hamas challenges Israeli account of Gaza hospital casualties

Hamas challenges Israeli account of Gaza hospital casualties
  • The Israel-Hamas war has been one of the bloodiest conflicts for media workers, with 189 Palestinian journalists killed by Israeli fire in Gaza in 22 months of fighting, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists

GAZA CITY: Hamas denied on Tuesday that any of the Palestinians killed in Israel’s attack on Gaza’s Nasser hospital on Monday were militants.
Earlier, Israel said it had killed six militants in the attack but it was investigating how civilians, including five journalists, were killed. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu described it as a “tragic mishap.”
The Hamas government media office said in a statement that one of the six Palestinians who Israel alleged were militants was killed in Al-Mawasi some distance from the hospital, and another was killed elsewhere at a different time.
The Hamas statement did not clarify whether the two who were killed elsewhere were also civilians. 

 


Trump to chair ‘large meeting’ on post-war Gaza: US envoy

Trump to chair ‘large meeting’ on post-war Gaza: US envoy
Updated 27 August 2025

Trump to chair ‘large meeting’ on post-war Gaza: US envoy

Trump to chair ‘large meeting’ on post-war Gaza: US envoy
  • Israel’s retaliatory offensive has killed at least 62,819 Palestinians, most of them civilians, according to figures from the health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza that the United Nations considers reliable
  • Trump said the United States would remove rubble and unexploded bombs and turn Gaza into the “Riviera of the Middle East”

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump will host a meeting on Wednesday on post-war plans for Gaza, his envoy Steve Witkoff said Tuesday.
“We’ve got a large meeting in the White House tomorrow, chaired by the president, and it’s a very comprehensive plan we’re putting together on the next day,” Witkoff said in a Fox News interview, without providing more details.
He was asked if there was “a plan for a day after in Gaza,” referencing the end of Israel’s war in the Palestinian territory that began in October 2023.
Trump stunned the world earlier this year when he suggested the United States should take control of the Gaza Strip, clear out its two million inhabitants and build seaside real estate.
Trump said the United States would remove rubble and unexploded bombs and turn Gaza into the “Riviera of the Middle East.”
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu praised the proposal, which was heavily criticized by many European and Arab states.
Witkoff did not elaborate on the plan he touted Tuesday, but said he believed that people would “see how robust it is and how it’s, how well meaning, it is.”
The war in Gaza was sparked by Hamas’s October 2023 attack on Israel, which resulted in the deaths of 1,219 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on official figures.
Israel’s retaliatory offensive has killed at least 62,819 Palestinians, most of them civilians, according to figures from the health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza that the United Nations considers reliable.