ֱ

Aubameyang scores 2 as Marseille moves on from players’ locker room fight with big win over Paris FC

Aubameyang scores 2 as Marseille moves on from players’ locker room fight with big win over Paris FC
Marseille's Gabonese forward Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (C) controls the ball ahead Paris FC's Brazilian defender Otavio (L) during the French L1 football match between Olympique de Marseille (OM) and Paris FC at Stade Velodrome in Marseille, France on August 23, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 24 August 2025

Aubameyang scores 2 as Marseille moves on from players’ locker room fight with big win over Paris FC

Aubameyang scores 2 as Marseille moves on from players’ locker room fight with big win over Paris FC
  • Victory followed Marseille'sseason-opening loss at Rennes, which caused teammates Adrien Rabiot and Jonathan Roweto fight
  • Coach Roberto De Zerbi said the two players, who brawledas if in a pub fight,have been put on the club’s transfer list

MARSEILLE, France: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang scored twice as Marseille ended a week of turmoil with a 5-2 win over promoted Paris FC in the French league on Saturday.
Marseille could even afford a missed penalty from Mason Greenwood late on.
But the victory wasn’t a given amid the unusual buildup to the game. Marseille coach Roberto De Zerbi said Friday that teammates Adrien Rabiot and Jonathan Rowe had brawled as if in a pub fight after the team’s season-opening loss at Rennes last weekend.
Both players have been put on the club’s transfer list.
Greenwood opened the scoring Saturday with a penalty before the Aubameyang show started with a spectacular finish in the 24th minute.
Ilan Kebbal pulled one back four minutes later with a brilliant strike inside the far post and he played in Moses Simon to equalize early in the second half with a perfectly placed through ball.
Aubameyang restored Marseille’s lead after a gift from the Paris defense, Pierre-Emile Höjbjerg made it 4-2 in the 81st, and impressive substitute Robinio Vaz completed the scoring in stoppage time after Greenwood missed his second opportunity from the spot. The penalty was awarded for a foul on Vaz.
Lyon wins again
Lyon eased to a 3-0 victory over Metz for its first home win of the season following its successful appeal against relegation last month.
The seven-time French champion was demoted to the second tier because of ongoing financial irregularities and debts estimated at 175 million euros ($203 million), but it appealed.
The club’s new president, Michele Kang, watched as first-half goals from Malick Fofana and Corentin Tolisso were followed in the 83rd minute by Adam Karabec’s first goal since his arrival from Sparta Prague.
There was a brief holdup in the second half as an announcement and a message on the large screen warned against offensive chants.
It’s the second win from two games for Lyon, which opened with a 1-0 win over Lens last week.
Also Saturday, Nice enjoyed a 3-1 win over Auxerre, which had goalkeeper Donovan Léon sent off before the break for bringing down Isak Jansson.
Defending champion Paris Saint-Germain defeated Angers 1-0 on Friday.


Ivan Toney gives Al-Ahli opening-day win against newly promoted Neom

Ivan Toney gives Al-Ahli opening-day win against newly promoted Neom
Updated 29 August 2025

Ivan Toney gives Al-Ahli opening-day win against newly promoted Neom

Ivan Toney gives Al-Ahli opening-day win against newly promoted Neom
  • England striker’s first-half goal is enough to give the reigning Asian champions all 3 points in a hard-fought victory
  • In the day’s other games, Ettifaq defeat Al-Kholood 2-1, while Damac grab a goal deep into injury time to rescue a point in a 1-1 draw with Al-Hazm

Ivan Toney was the hero as Al-Ahli kicked off the new Saudi Pro League season on Thursday with a hard-fought 1-0 home win over newly promoted Neom. The England striker’s first-half goal was enough to give the reigning Asian champions all three points.

It was a tough introduction to the top flight for Neom, as the hosts enjoyed the better of the first half. More 50,000 fans seemed to shout as one for a penalty in the ninth minute when Ali Majrashi went down in the area under a challenge from Mohammed Al-Dossari, but the referee was having none of it and waved play on.

The home fans did not have to wait too much longer for the opener, however, as Toney delivered a fine goal midway through the first half. Enzo Millot, making his league debut after a move from Stuttgart, slid through a majestic pass from deep that split the visiting defense and gave the former Brentford forward the chance to fire a low shot home from just inside the area.

Eight minutes before the break, there was more good work from the French midfielder when he found Riyad Mahrez in the area, but the Algerian sent his shot wide. Soon after, Toney had a goal-bound shot blocked by Ahmed Hegazi.

Neom looked livelier after the restart and Alexandre Lacazette was able to break into the area, only for his low shot to be saved by Edouard Mendy. The former Chelsea goalkeeper was in action again soon after, getting down well to save a dangerous effort on the turn by Abdulmalik Al-Oyayari.

The visitors continued to pile on the pressure in hopes of a share of the points. Lacazette did have the ball in the net in the 90th minute, but it was ruled out for offside and Al-Ahli hung on for the win.

There were two other games on opening day. Ettifaq defeated Al-Kholood 2-1, with Mohau Nkota and Gini Wijnaldum the scorers for the victors, while John Buckley got the visitors’ goal.

Earlier, the first game of the season ended in a 1-1 draw between Damac and Al-Hazm. Fabio Martins fired home from the spot to give the visitors the lead shortly before the hour mark, but they were denied the three points when Moroccan Jamal Harkass grabbed the equalizer with 98 minutes on the clock.


Arsenal forward Havertz has ‘minor’ surgery on knee injury

Arsenal forward Havertz has ‘minor’ surgery on knee injury
Updated 28 August 2025

Arsenal forward Havertz has ‘minor’ surgery on knee injury

Arsenal forward Havertz has ‘minor’ surgery on knee injury
  • Arsenal did not provide a timeline for Havertz’s return
  • Havertz missed several months last season with a hamstring injury

LONDON: Arsenal forward Kai Havertz underwent a “minor” knee operation on Thursday after being injured in the season-opening game at Manchester United, the London club said.

Arsenal did not provide a timeline for Havertz’s return, but said “he will shortly begin his recovery and rehabilitation program, with everyone fully focused on supporting Kai to ensure he is back to full fitness as soon as possible.”

Havertz missed several months last season with a hamstring injury, but British media reports said he is expected to only miss a few weeks this time.

Arsenal signed Eberechi Eze from Crystal Palace after Havertz sustained his latest injury against United.


Man United agree to sell Garnacho to Chelsea for £40m

Man United agree to sell Garnacho to Chelsea for £40m
Updated 29 August 2025

Man United agree to sell Garnacho to Chelsea for £40m

Man United agree to sell Garnacho to Chelsea for £40m
  • Garnacho was among five players seeking to exit the club this summer
  • Rashford joined Barcelona on loan last month

LONDON: Manchester United have agreed to sell Argentine winger Alejandro Garnacho to Chelsea for 40 million pounds ($54 million), a source close to United said on Thursday.

The 21-year-old’s sale value would be the fourth largest for a United player after Cristiano Ronaldo, Romelu Lukaku and Angel di Maria.

Garnacho, who played 93 Premier League matches for United, was among five players seeking to exit the club this summer, along with Marcus Rashford, Antony, Tyrell Malacia and Jadon Sancho. Rashford joined Barcelona on loan last month.

Manager Ruben Amorim has left Garnacho out of his squad this season, as United failed to win their first two Premier League games before being knocked out of the League Cup on penalties by fourth-tier Grimsby Town.

Chelsea host Fulham in the Premier League on Friday.


PSG get tough slate of Champions League opponents, as Real Madrid are going to Liverpool and Almaty

PSG get tough slate of Champions League opponents, as Real Madrid are going to Liverpool and Almaty
Updated 28 August 2025

PSG get tough slate of Champions League opponents, as Real Madrid are going to Liverpool and Almaty

PSG get tough slate of Champions League opponents, as Real Madrid are going to Liverpool and Almaty
  • PSG’s easiest opponents, in theory, in the league phase will be Newcastle and Athletic Bilbao
  • Liverpool fans will welcome Trent Alexander-Arnold back to Anfield with Madrid

MONACO: Paris Saint-Germain were handed a tough start to the defense of its Champions League title with games against Bayern Munich and Barcelona, and Thursday’s draw also served up opponents from England and Spain from the pot of lowest-ranked teams.

PSG’s easiest opponents, in theory, in the league phase will be Newcastle and Athletic Bilbao.

Tottenham, the Europa League champion, also will play PSG in a repeat of their Super Cup game two weeks ago. PSG’s eight-game schedule is completed by Bayer Leverkusen, Atalanta and Sporting Lisbon.

Real Madrid also got a challenging draw, including a trip far east to play Kairat Almaty of Kazakhstan — 6,420 kilometers (4,000 miles) from the Spanish capital.

Record 15-time champion Madrid got two English opponents from the pot of highest-ranked teams. Madrid will host Manchester City, which they beat in the knockout playoffs last season, and return to Liverpool after losing 2-0 at Anfield in the league phase last year.

Madrid also will face Juventus in a repeat of their 2017 final win, and two French opponents, Marseille and Monaco — where superstar forward Kylian Mbappe started his career.

Liverpool fans will welcome Trent Alexander-Arnold back to Anfield with Madrid, and have away trips to the vibrant stadiums of Inter Milan, Eintracht Frankfurt, Marseille and Galatasaray.

Bayern Munich will have rematches of two recent finals – at home to Chelsea where the German champion lost the 2012 title game on home turf, and away to PSG, which they beat in the 2020 final. Bayern also will go to Cyprus to face Pafos.

Manchester City will travel north of the Arctic Circle to face Bodo/Glimt of Norway, and host former fan favorite Kevin De Bruyne with his new club Napoli.

This is the second season of the league phase format with 36 teams playing eight different opponents on a weighted schedule through January, and ranked in a single-standings table.

Four newcomers to the main stage of the Champions League are: Bodo/Glimt, Kairat Almaty, Russian-owned Pafos and Belgian champion Union Saint-Gilloise.

Games in Bodo and Almaty shape to be the longest-ever trips for visiting teams, and their home games in January among the coldest in competition history. Bodo play on a heated artificial turf field.

The computerized draw gave each team two opponents drawn from each of the four seeding pots. Teams are seeded based on their ranking over five seasons of results in UEFA competitions.

Retired great Zlatan Ibrahimovic picked each team out of its draw pot and former Ballon d’Or winner Kaka pushed a button to reveal the slate of opponents.

Games start on Sept. 16 and the final league phase matchday is Jan. 28. On that Wednesday evening, all 36 teams play in 18 games kicking off at the same time.

The top eight teams in the final standings advance to the round of 16 in March. Joining them will be winners of eight knockout playoffs, featuring teams ranked ninth to 24th, scheduled in February. The bottom 12 teams are eliminated.


Milan aim to turn page at Lecce following shock defeat

Milan aim to turn page at Lecce following shock defeat
Updated 28 August 2025

Milan aim to turn page at Lecce following shock defeat

Milan aim to turn page at Lecce following shock defeat
  • Against Cremonese it was the fine margins that deserted Milan in a 2-1 loss
  • "Considering the goals we conceded, clearly the defensive phase is where we need to improve," Allegri admitted

ROME: AC Milan stumbled out of the blocks in Serie A with a shock home defeat to promoted Cremonese, and attention now shifts to Friday’s clash at Lecce, where Massimiliano Allegri’s men will be under pressure to set things right.

Against Cremonese it was the fine margins that deserted Milan in a 2-1 loss. Both defense and attack faltered, and the supposed strength of their midfield offered little protection, allowing Cremonese to find space with worrying ease once they broke through the middle.


“Considering the goals we conceded, clearly the defensive phase is where we need to improve. We don’t sense danger effectively,” Allegri admitted.

However, the veteran coach dismissed suggestions that the club needed a last-minute spending spree.

“I don’t think it was an issue of a player missing or not. When you play in Serie A, you meet tough opponents like Cremonese who fully deserved the victory by playing a smart defensive match and we made two errors.”

With only winger Rafael Leao sidelined by a calf injury, Allegri has another chance to find the right balance, but a defeat at Lecce could see Milan’s disappointing start turn into a worrying one for a club with lofty ambitions.

NAPOLI STRIKER WANTED
Antonio Conte’s Napoli started the season with a straightforward 2-0 win at Sassuolo but the reigning champions had to rely on key midfielders Scott McTominay and Kevin De Bruyne to score the goals with striker Romelu Lukaku injured.

Against Cagliari at home on Saturday, a side that have lost to Napoli in their last two meetings without scoring, Lorenzo Lucca is likely to be the lone front man again.

With the transfer window closing, several months with a weakened frontline could prove costly for Napoli.

Last season’s runners-up Inter Milan on the other hand fired a warning shot to their potential title rivals with a 5-0 victory at home against Torino that showed they have plenty of offensive firepower.

The visitors’ defending left plenty to be desired, but Inter’s relentless aggression allowed no margin for error, punishing lapses twice and keeping the pressure on throughout the match.

At home against Udinese on Sunday, coach Cristian Chivu has a full squad to select from as Inter look to build on the potential they showed on the opening weekend.

JUVE WITHOUT CAMBIASO
Igor Tudor’s Juventus showed plenty of resilience in their opener against Parma, keeping up the pressure until the end, even after being reduced to 10 men before winning 2-0, extending their lead with a late Dusan Vlahovic goal.

Juventus travel to Genoa on Sunday and they will be without fullback Andrea Cambiaso following his late sending-off against Parma. Tudor now faces a selection dilemma over how to cover the left flank.

Veteran Filip Kostic seems the most straightforward replacement, while the versatile Weston McKennie could also be pushed into the role.

Pisa will host Gian Piero Gasperini’s AS Roma on Saturday in what will be their first home Serie A clash in over 34 years, while Cesc Fabregas’ Como, who beat Lazio 2-0 on the opening weekend, will travel Bologna on the same day.