ֱ

France summons Italian ambassador over challenge to Macron on Ukraine

France summons Italian ambassador over challenge to Macron on Ukraine
“You go there if you want. Put your helmet on, your jacket, your rifle and you go to Ukraine,” he told reporters, referring to Macron. (AFP
Short Url
Updated 23 August 2025

France summons Italian ambassador over challenge to Macron on Ukraine

France summons Italian ambassador over challenge to Macron on Ukraine
  • “You go there if you want. Put your helmet on, your jacket, your rifle and you go to Ukraine,” he told reporters, referring to Macron

PARIS: France summoned the Italian ambassador after Italy’s deputy prime minister challenged the French president for suggesting that European soldiers be deployed in Ukraine in a post-war settlement, a French diplomatic source said on Saturday.
Asked earlier this week to comment on French President Emmanuel Macron’s appeals to deploy European soldiers in Ukraine after any settlement with Russia, Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini used a Milanese dialect phrase loosely translatable as “get lost.”
“You go there if you want. Put your helmet on, your jacket, your rifle and you go to Ukraine,” he told reporters, referring to Macron.
Salvini, the populist leader of the right-wing League party and also Italy’s transport minister in the nationalist, conservative government led by Giorgia Meloni, has repeatedly criticized Macron, especially over Ukraine.
The Italian ambassador was summoned on Friday, the diplomatic source said, marking the latest in a series of diplomatic clashes between Paris and Rome before and after Meloni took power in 2022.
“The ambassador was reminded that these remarks ran counter to the climate of trust and the historical relationship between our two countries, as well as to recent bilateral developments, which have highlighted strong convergences between the two countries, particularly with regard to unwavering support for Ukraine,” the source said.
Macron, a vocal supporter of Ukraine over its war with Russia, has been working with other world leaders, notably British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, to mobilize support for Ukraine in the event of a ceasefire.


Kenya’s deadly protests spur outsiders into election battle

Kenya’s deadly protests spur outsiders into election battle
Updated 4 sec ago

Kenya’s deadly protests spur outsiders into election battle

Kenya’s deadly protests spur outsiders into election battle

NAIROBI: After weeks of violent protests, a leading rights activist and former chief justice have emerged as presidential contenders — but can they succeed in the bare-knuckle world of Kenyan politics?
President William Ruto has seen his popularity plummet since coming to power in 2022 over continued economic stagnation, corruption, police brutality, and abductions targeting government critics.
Ruto has stood firm against waves of violent protests seeking to force his resignation in mid-2024 and again in recent months, in which hundreds have died or disappeared.
However, many are now seeking new faces who can challenge him in the next election, scheduled for 2027.
Firebrand human rights activist Boniface Mwangi announced his bid for the top seat on Wednesday, vowing not to work with “anyone who 
is contaminated.”
“We cannot achieve change by working with people who have been part of the problem,” Mwangi said as he announced 
his candidature.
He pitched himself as the antithesis of the typical politician — shunning bribes and the lavish cash hand-outs to voters that occur during Kenyan campaigns.
But the 42-year-old faces an uphill struggle. His previous attempt to run a clean campaign — running for a parliamentary seat in 2017 — ended in failure.
Another figure who has entered the fray is former Chief Justice David Maraga, who came out of retirement in June to announce his presidential bid.
In an interview, he said he had not previously considered a political career but was shocked into action by Ruto’s violent crackdown on protesters.
“What I saw horrified me,” he said. It is a “leadership that does not want to follow the law.”
Maraga, 74, made his name in 2017 when his bench of judges in the Supreme Court nullified the results of the presidential election over “irregularities and illegalities” — an unprecedented 
ruling in Africa.
“Maraga could be our Mohammed Yunus,” said Nelson Amenya, a columnist and whistleblower, on X, referring to the Bangladeshi civil society leader and statesman.
Maraga rejects claims that he lacks the charisma and physical presence required for politics
“I am prepared to go into the murky environment,” he said.

“What good is a good reputation for me if ... I see my country going down and I see the youths being killed, being kidnapped?“
Ruto remains defiant, saying only he has a plan for the country, based on mobilizing international investment and reforming 
public services.

The opposition’s “only plan is that ‘Ruto must go’ — how will that help Kenyans and the country?” he said in a speech during the protests in June.
Ruto has also repeatedly proved his mastery of Kenyan politics — how to exploit its deep-rooted tribal divisions and mobilize voters with financial promises.
While the protests of 2024 and 2025 demonstrated a new generation of educated young Kenyans eager to move beyond that type of politics, analysts say there is still a long way to go.
“Culture does not change overnight,” political analyst Kaburu Kinoti said. No candidate “can appeal to the mass political market without segmenting it into ethnic blocs.”
Patrick Gathara, a political cartoonist, said candidates like Mwangi and Maraga will struggle to stay clean.
“I have no faith that they are not going to be corrupted by the system, because our system is actually built to corrupt people,” he said.
Gathara said the key to Kenya’s future cannot come from politicians but from continued pressure by citizens.
“Change never comes from within,” he said.

 


Putin plans to travel to India in December, the Kremlin says

Putin plans to travel to India in December, the Kremlin says
Updated 8 min 5 sec ago

Putin plans to travel to India in December, the Kremlin says

Putin plans to travel to India in December, the Kremlin says
  • The Russian leader will discuss his upcoming December visit with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday in China
  • Putin and Modi will meet on the sidelines of the annual summit of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization

MOSCOW: Russia’s President Vladimir Putin plans to travel to India in December, Putin’s aide said Friday.

Putin’s foreign affairs adviser Yuri Ushakov told reporters that the Russian leader will discuss his upcoming December visit with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday in China.

Putin and Modi will meet on the sidelines of the annual summit of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO), which was established by China and Russia in 2001 with a focus on security in Central Asia and the wider region.

Putin is attending the summit and holding multiple bilateral meetings on the sidelines as part of a four-day visit to China on Aug. 31 to Sept. 3.

He also will hold extensive talks with Chinese leader Xi Jinping in Beijing and attend a massive military parade there commemorating the 80th anniversary of the end of World War, according to the Kremlin.

In addition meeting with Modi, the Russian leader on Monday is also scheduled to have bilateral meetings with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, as well as other contacts, Ushakov said.

Russian officials also were “working on the possibility of a bilateral meeting” between Putin and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Beijing, where Kim will also be attending the parade, Ushakov added.

According to Ushakov, Putin’s meeting with Modi will be the first this year, but the two “have repeatedly maintained contact by telephone.”

Modi traveled to Russia last year twice — first to Moscow for talks with Putin in July, his first trip to Russia since the full-scale invasion of Ukraine by the Kremlin’s forces in 2022, and then to Kazan in October for the summit of the BRICS bloc of developing economies.

Russia had strong ties with India during the Cold War, and New Delhi’s importance as a key trading partner with Moscow has grown since the war in Ukraine.

Modi has avoided condemning Russia while emphasizing a peaceful settlement. Their partnership has become more complicated, however, as Russia has moved closer to China amid international isolation of Moscow over Ukraine.

China and India are key buyers of Russian oil following sanctions imposed by the United States and its allies that shut most Western markets off to Russian exports.


UK home secretary running ‘cynical media campaign’ over Palestine Action ban: Lawyers

UK home secretary running ‘cynical media campaign’ over Palestine Action ban: Lawyers
Updated 29 August 2025

UK home secretary running ‘cynical media campaign’ over Palestine Action ban: Lawyers

UK home secretary running ‘cynical media campaign’ over Palestine Action ban: Lawyers
  • Yvette Cooper’s claim that it was planning violence has not been scrutinized in court
  • Co-founder Huda Ammori is challenging July decision to list group as terrorist organization

LONDON: UK Home Secretary Yvette Cooper has been accused of running a “cynical media campaign” against Palestine Action that breaches her duties over a court case challenging the group’s banning.

Lawyers representing Palestine Action co-founder Huda Ammori sent a letter to the government’s legal department making the accusation, The Guardian reported on Friday.

Ammori has been given permission for a judicial review of Cooper’s decision in early July to ban the group under the UK Terrorism Act.

In the letter, Ammori’s lawyers from the firm Birnberg Peirce argue that Cooper’s public statements, widely reported in the media, are at odds with her disclosures in the review case at the High Court.

“At the centre of your client’s media campaign is an attempt to persuade the public that Palestine Action was proscribed for reasons which she is unable to reveal publicly and which are centred on violence and injuries against people,” the lawyers said.

“These claims about the reason for Proscription Review Group’s recommendation for the proscription of Palestine Action are misleading in light of open (public) disclosure.”

In announcing Palestine Action’s proscription, Cooper had said publicly that the group was planning violent acts to further its cause.

But she refused to disclose the nature of these planned attacks or how authorities discovered them.

Ammori’s lawyers said: “It is clear from the open disclosure that the basis for the recommendation was serious damage to property caused by Palestine Action and not violence against people.

“Indeed the central advice to your client was that proscribing Palestine Action would advance ‘the deterrent message of stating clearly that serious damage to property to advance a cause, amounts to terrorism regardless of the cause.’”

Some of the evidence at the judicial review hearing was kept private from Ammori and her legal team.

But Birnberg Peirce’s lawyers have argued that Cooper’s references to secret information regarding Palestine Action must be heard in the review.

“Anything that your client feels able to share with the media should be in your client’s open case, even by way of gist,” they wrote.

Ammori’s lawyers also highlighted an opinion piece authored by Cooper in The Observer. In the piece, the home secretary referred to “disturbing information given to me that covered ideas and planning for future attacks (by Palestine Action).”

Yet this information was left out of open court in the judicial hearing, as were allegations made by Cooper and Prime Minister Keir Starmer that Palestine Action targeted Jewish businesses.

Those allegations relate to a Jewish business operated by a landlord of a subsidiary of Elbit, the Israeli arms company, a fact that Cooper was “well aware” of, the letter said.

It added: “This cynical media campaign reflects a fundamental lack of respect for court proceedings, and either indicates an attempt by your client to influence media coverage through assertions which she cannot evidence, or is reflective of a serious breach of her duty of candour in these proceedings.”

The letter continued: “The proper place for your client to advance her case is in court. Your client’s approach in relation to briefing the media with a wholly different basis for proscription is entirely improper and a breach of her duty to the court.

“If your client has evidence to support her assertions, this ought to have been disclosed. As she has not, she must cease her misleading campaign immediately.”


Ex-first minister of Scotland issues plea after relative killed in Gaza

Ex-first minister of Scotland issues plea after relative killed in Gaza
Updated 29 August 2025

Ex-first minister of Scotland issues plea after relative killed in Gaza

Ex-first minister of Scotland issues plea after relative killed in Gaza
  • Humza Yousaf appears in video with wife after family member shot trying to collect aid
  • ‘This is a genocide … and the world must not look away’

LONDON: Humza Yousaf, the former first minister of Scotland, has issued an impassioned message following the death of a relative in Gaza.

Yousaf, the veteran Scottish National Party politician, posted a video on Thursday in which he and his wife Nadia El-Nakla described what had happened to a member of her extended family, Ahmed, who was killed while trying to find supplies for his children.

“We want to give you an update from my cousin Sally, in Gaza,” El-Nakla said in the video message. “His wife asked him not to go, and not to leave them. But he said, ‘No, I have to go this time, I have to provide food that we need, I have to provide milk for my child. I have to go. I’ll only go this one time, and I’m not going to go again.’ And actually, this was the last time he went, because they killed him.”

The couple said Ahmed was killed in the vicinity of an aid distribution center run by the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation, which is backed by Israel and the US.

Yousaf said: “Sally goes on to say, what the world needs to know is that the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation is like a trick to kill the largest number of Palestinians every day.

“Every day, around 100 Palestinians are killed there, trying to get food. Our men, our women, our children.”

El-Nakla said: “This is Gaza. This is a genocide, and the world is backing these facilities. Famine has been declared, yet aid is blocked while the foundation profits from their hunger.

“Food, water and medicine must be allowed in through real aid agencies, and the world must not look away.” 

The GHF has come in for significant international criticism since it began operations in Gaza. It was initially given sole responsibility to distribute aid by Israel after the UN and other groups were denied access to the Palestinian enclave.

Thousands of Palestinians have been shot and killed at the GHF’s four distribution sites since May by contractors and Israeli soldiers, while its poor logistical operations have been blamed by aid agencies for contributing to famine in Gaza. 

Earlier this month, UN experts said innocent civilians were “paying the ultimate price of the international community’s legal, political and moral failure” over the GHF’s activities.

Yousaf, who resigned as Scotland’s first minister in May 2024, has been a vocal critic of Israel’s war in Gaza since its outbreak in October 2023.

Numerous members of El-Nakla’s family, including her parents, were caught up in the invasion, and the pair have consistently raised awareness of the humanitarian situation in the enclave throughout the war.


US to refuse visas to Palestinian officials at UN summit on state

US to refuse visas to Palestinian officials at UN summit on state
Updated 29 August 2025

US to refuse visas to Palestinian officials at UN summit on state

US to refuse visas to Palestinian officials at UN summit on state
  • “The Trump administration has been clear: it is in our national security interests to hold the PLO and PA accountable for not complying with their commitments,” it said
  • The Palestinian Authority must end “attempts to bypass negotiations through international lawfare campaigns“

WASHINGTON: The United States said Friday it will deny visas to members of the Palestinian Authority to attend next month’s UN General Assembly, where France is leading a push to recognize a Palestinian state.

The extraordinary step further aligns President Donald Trump’s administration with Israel’s government, which adamantly rejects a Palestinian state and has sought to lump together the West Bank-based Palestinian Authority with Hamas in Gaza.

“Secretary of State Marco Rubio is denying and revoking visas from members of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) and the Palestinian Authority (PA) ahead of the upcoming United Nations General Assembly,” the State Department said in a statement.

“The Trump administration has been clear: it is in our national security interests to hold the PLO and PA accountable for not complying with their commitments, and for undermining the prospects for peace,” it said.

Using a term favored by Trump to deride his legal troubles while out of office, the State Department accused the Palestinians of “lawfare” by turning to the International Criminal Court and International Court of Justice to take up grievances with Israel.

The Palestinian Authority must end “attempts to bypass negotiations through international lawfare campaigns” and “efforts to secure the unilateral recognition of a conjectural Palestinian state,” it said.

Under an agreement as host of the United Nations in New York, the United States is not supposed to refuse visas for officials heading to the world body.

The State Department insisted it was complying with the agreement by allowing the Palestinian mission to the United Nations.