ֱ

England take 2-1 series lead over India with thrilling Lord’s win

England’s Jamie Smith and Ollie Pope celebrate after Shoaib Bashir takes the last wicket of India’s Mohammed Siraj to win the Test. (Action Images via Reuters)
England’s Jamie Smith and Ollie Pope celebrate after Shoaib Bashir takes the last wicket of India’s Mohammed Siraj to win the Test. (Action Images via Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 14 July 2025

England take 2-1 series lead over India with thrilling Lord’s win

England take 2-1 series lead over India with thrilling Lord’s win
  • Off-spinner Shoaib Bashir, off the field for much of the match with a finger injury, had the final say
  • Victory came exactly six years to the day since Stokes and Archer both starred in England’s dramatic 2019 50-over World Cup final win over New Zealand at Lord’s

LONDON: A thrilling series produced a gripping finale as England beat India by 22 runs in a nail-biting third Test at Lord’s on Monday to go 2-1 up with two Tests to play.

India were on the brink of defeat at 147-9, still needing a further 46 runs to reach a victory target of 193, when last man Mohammed Siraj joined Ravindra Jadeja in the middle.

Nevertheless, the pair batted on until after tea on the final day to give India hope of an improbable victory.

But with India eyeing a stunning success, off-spinner Shoaib Bashir, who had been off the field for much of the match with a finger injury, had the final say.

As Siraj played defensively, the ball spun back past him to dislodge the leg bail with the faintest of touches to leave India 170 all out.
As the England fielders celebrated, the fiery Siraj was crestfallen as was his partner Jadeja who was left stranded on 61 not out — his fourth consecutive fifty this series — after batting for nearly four-and-a-half hours.

England captain Ben Stokes bowled two lengthy spells Monday on his way to innings figures of 3-48 in 24 overs, with fast bowler Jofra Archer — in his first Test after more than four years of injury-induced exile — taking 3-55 in 16.

Lively medium-pacer Stokes, whose career has been blighted by knee injuries, again proved his worth to England as a fully-fledged all-rounder.

“I thought I had taken myself to some pretty dark places before but today was... If bowling to win a Test for your country doesn’t get you up, get you excited, then I don’t know what does,” Stokes told Sky Sports.

“The game was on the line and nothing was going to stop me bowling.”

Victory came exactly six years to the day since Stokes and Archer both starred in England’s dramatic 2019 50-over World Cup final win over New Zealand at Lord’s.

Both bowlers made early breakthroughs Monday, with player-of-the match Stokes saying the anniversary was behind his decision to open the bowlig with Archer.

“Jof played a big role in that and I just had one of those feelings he would do something special,” said Stokes.

The 30-year-old Archer added: “It was pretty hectic for the first game back. I probably bowled a few more overs than I thought I would have but every single one mattered today so I’m not too fussed about it.”

India were all but beaten at 112-8 when tailender Jasprit Bumrah came out to bat immediately after lunch.

But Jadeja and Bumrah kept England at bay with a stubborn stand of 35 in 22 overs.

“I think the position in the morning, to make a comeback like this was tremendous from Ravindra Jadeja and the lower order,” said India captain Shubman Gill.

Bumrah, defying a run of four successive noughts in Test cricket, defended gamely while making five in 54 balls only for his innings to end when he top-edged a pull off Stokes to substitute fielder Sam Cook at mid-on.

India were now 147-9 — a position that meant tea was delayed by 30 minutes.

But Jadeja, who overturned an lbw decision given against him on 26, went to fifty when a flashing cut off Stokes flew over the slips for the left-hander’s fourth four in 150 balls faced.

Shortly after tea, Archer struck Siraj a painful blow on the shoulder and it was not long before he fell to Bashir.

This match became a second-innings shoot-out after both teams made 387 in their first innings.

England then posted 192 before India slumped to 58-4 when Stokes bowled nightwatchman Akash Deep with what became the last ball of Sunday’s play.

From 71-4 on Monday, the match swung England’s way once more as India lost three wickets for 11 runs in collapsing to 82-7.

Rishabh Pant — who only came into bat on Monday following Deep’s departure — charged down the pitch to drive Archer for a typically aggressive four.

But two balls later Archer, repeatedly topping the 90 mph mark, bowled the dangerman for nine with a superb full-length delivery that clipped the top of off stump.

India were looking to KL Rahul to anchor their chase after the opener’s first-innings hundred.

But he had added just six runs to his overnight 33 when he was lbw on review to Stokes.

Archer, who made his Test debut at Lord’s in 2019, then reduced India to 82-7 when he held a sharp one-handed caught and bowled chance to dismiss Washington Sundar for a duck.


Real Madrid rally to beat Mallorca 2-1 despite VAR woes

Real Madrid rally to beat Mallorca 2-1 despite VAR woes
Updated 31 August 2025

Real Madrid rally to beat Mallorca 2-1 despite VAR woes

Real Madrid rally to beat Mallorca 2-1 despite VAR woes
  • Without a win this season, Mallorca played a clever game and tried to hit Madrid on the break, but the home side had too much quality in attack

MADRID: Real Madrid recovered from a goal down to beat Mallorca 2-1 at the Bernabeu on Saturday as the home side made light of having three goals chalked off after VAR reviews to make it three wins out of three in La Liga this season.
What should have been a comfortable victory for the home side left fans with their nerves jangling, however, and they needed a goalline clearance from Alvaro Carreras to secure the three points.
Kylian Mbappe was the first to have a goal overturned by VAR when he pounced to score from a superb ball by Trent Alexander-Arnold in the seventh minute, but the review found him to be marginally offside.
Mallorca took a shock lead 11 minutes later when striker Vedat Muriqi muscled his way into the middle of the penalty area at a corner to steer the ball into the net with a combination of his back and shoulder.
Real levelled in the 37th minute after a superbly-worked corner that led to Dean Huijsen teeing up 20-year-old Arda Guler to score with a close-range header.
Vinicius Jr gave his side the lead a minute later, surging forward before cutting back on to his left foot and sending a bouncing shot low into the far corner.
Without a win this season, Mallorca played a clever game and tried to hit Madrid on the break, but the home side had too much quality in attack, and Mbappe had another goal chalked off in first-half stoppage time.
Guler was the next to taste disappointment as his effort 10 minutes after the break was ruled out when a VAR review found him guilty of handball in the build-up, and the home side had Carreras to thank when he pulled off a tremendous goalline clearance to prevent Mallorca from equalising.


Sinner repels Shapovalov to reach US Open last 16

Sinner repels Shapovalov to reach US Open last 16
Updated 31 August 2025

Sinner repels Shapovalov to reach US Open last 16

Sinner repels Shapovalov to reach US Open last 16
  • World number one Sinner rallied from a set down to beat Shapovalov 5-7, 6-4, 6-3, 6-3

NEW YORK: Reigning champion Jannik Sinner came through a testing encounter with Canadian 27th seed Denis Shapovalov on Saturday to book his place in the US Open last 16.
World number one Sinner rallied from a set down to beat Shapovalov 5-7, 6-4, 6-3, 6-3 and keep alive his bid to become the first man to retain the title in New York since Roger Federer in 2008.
“A very, very tough match today. I’ve known Denis for quite a long time. I knew that I had to play at a very high level,” said Sinner, who lost his previous meeting with Shapovalov at the 2021 Australian Open.
Sinner awaits the winner of the evening session match between US 14th seed Tommy Paul and Alexander Bublik, the 23rd seed from Kazakhstan.
“Week two is completely different. It’s always a great sight that I’m still here. It’s getting tougher and tougher, also physically and mentally,” said Sinner.
The Italian made serene progress through the first two rounds but dropped his first set of the tournament against a resurgent Shapovalov, a former top-10 player whose career was stalled by injury.
A US Open quarter-finalist in 2020, Shapovalov signalled his intent with a break in the fourth game and raced 5-2 ahead in the first set.
Sinner broke to get back on serve but Shapovalov produced a gutsy hold, saving a break point for 6-5 before taking the next game and the set.
Top seed Sinner punished a slack service game from Shapovalov at 3-3 in the second set as he dragged himself back into the match at a set apiece.
Shapovalov responded by breaking early in the third set and surging into a 3-0 lead, but he couldn’t sustain his level and a defiant Sinner hit back by winning nine games on the spin.
The Canadian offered some belated resistance but by then it was too late as Sinner sealed his 24th successive Grand Slam match win on hard courts.
Sinner has reached the final of all three Grand Slams this season, winning the Australian Open and Wimbledon either side of a defeat to Carlos Alcaraz at the French Open.
Federer is the last man to successfully defend the US Open, winning the title each year from 2004-08.


Osaka shines to set up US Open last-16 clash with Gauff

Osaka shines to set up US Open last-16 clash with Gauff
Updated 31 August 2025

Osaka shines to set up US Open last-16 clash with Gauff

Osaka shines to set up US Open last-16 clash with Gauff
  • Osaka lit up Louis Armstrong Stadium in broad daylight, turning her third-round clash into a showcase of power and composure

NEW YORK: Four-times major champion Naomi Osaka powered into the US Open fourth round on Saturday with a 6-0 4-6 6-3 win over 15th seed Daria Kasatkina to continue her best Grand Slam run since 2021.
Osaka lit up Louis Armstrong Stadium in broad daylight, turning her third-round clash into a showcase of power and composure.
The Japanese player dominated early, absorbed a brief second-set wobble, and closed out the win to set up a blockbuster fourth-round showdown with American third seed Coco Gauff.
“Honestly, I was trying to tell myself to stay calm. I was so shaky today but I’m glad that it was an entertaining match,” Osaka said.
Whenever I come here it feels like home and you guys are very involved and I feel grateful, thank you.
“Can someone come to the match and cheer for me?,” the 27-year-old added. “I mean it’s kinda tough playing an American here but I hope you guys have adopted me. I kinda see her as a little sister so it’s cool to be playing her here.”
From the first point, Osaka looked sharp, putting pressure on Kasatkina with an early break gifted to her by a double fault before racing into a 3-0 lead.
Kasatkina’s delivery deserted her in the first set with eight double faults and only 25 percent of first serves landing as Osaka coolly dished out a bagel in 22 minutes.
Kasatkina, however, forced a decider after a scrappy second set riddled with breaks. Errors crept in on both sides, Osaka’s frustration surfaced, and Kasatkina steadied enough to seize the lead.
Seven service breaks kept the set on edge before the Russian-born player finally held her nerve to level the match.
Osaka, however, regained her composure in the third.
She saved a break point with two blistering winners and surged into a 3-1 lead before closing out the match to stay on course for a third US Open title.


‘We’ll send him back’: Bayern confirm collapse of Jackson deal

‘We’ll send him back’: Bayern confirm collapse of Jackson deal
Updated 30 August 2025

‘We’ll send him back’: Bayern confirm collapse of Jackson deal

‘We’ll send him back’: Bayern confirm collapse of Jackson deal
  • Jackson arrived in Munich on Saturday set to sign a season-long loan
  • Bayern sporting director Max Eberl confirmed to reporters the deal was off

AUGSBURG, Germany: Bayern Munich on Saturday evening confirmed that a proposed loan deal for Chelsea striker Nicolas Jackson had collapsed after the English club called off the deal.

Jackson arrived in Munich on Saturday set to sign a season-long loan with the German champions, who had an option to buy the player.

But an injury to Chelsea forward Liam Delap in Saturday’s 2-0 win over Fulham meant the London club recalled the Senegal striker from Germany before he put pen to paper.


Speaking after Saturday’s 3-2 win at Augsburg, Bayern sporting director Max Eberl confirmed to reporters the deal was off.

“Chelsea informed us that they would like the player back after we agreed yesterday.

“The situation now is that the lad is here in Munich, but we are sending him back.”

Jackson’s agent had earlier insisted on social media that his player was not returning to Chelsea.

“We’re not going back. The plane doesn’t go backwards: Munich.”

The German champions were looking for additional support up front for striker Harry Kane, having lost forward Kingsley Coman, Leroy Sane, Thomas Mueller and Mathys Tel in the summer.

Chelsea manager Enzo Maresca suggested he expected Delap to miss six to eight weeks.

“When you have two strikers, it’s enough. When one of them is injured for different weeks, probably it’s not enough,” Marseca said.

The transfer window closes on Monday, September 1.


Saudi-backed Newcastle sign Woltemade in club record deal

Saudi-backed Newcastle sign Woltemade in club record deal
Updated 30 August 2025

Saudi-backed Newcastle sign Woltemade in club record deal

Saudi-backed Newcastle sign Woltemade in club record deal
  • British media reports the agreement is worth $93.21 million

LONDON: The Saudi-backed Newcastle United have signed German forward Nick Woltemade from Stuttgart in a club-record deal, the Premier League club said on Saturday.

Financial details were not revealed but British media reported that the deal was worth £69 million( $93.21 million).

The 23-year-old’s deal eclipses the £63 million Newcastle paid for Sweden striker Alexander Isak three years ago when he became the club’s most expensive player.

Woltemade came through Werder Bremen’s academy and became their youngest Bundesliga debutant in 2020 at the age of 17. He joined Stuttgart last year and scored 17 goals in 33 appearances across all competitions

With Isak unavailable as he pushes for a move to Liverpool, Woltemade may have to adapt quickly and make an impact.

“We are delighted to get Nick’s signing over the line so quickly. He fits the profile for exactly what we have been looking for to add to our attacking options,” manager Eddie Howe said.

“He’s strong in a lot of areas — he has great technical ability and has proven himself to be a real threat in one of Europe’s top leagues — but he’s also still at an age where he has plenty of room to develop and grow here.”

Capped twice by Germany, the 1.98-meter forward has been called up for the World Cup qualifiers against Slovakia and Northern Ireland in September.

“It’s a big step in my life to leave Germany but everybody has welcomed me so well and it already feels like family,” Woltemade said.

“I have a really good feeling from speaking to the head coach that this is the right place for me to find my best level ... From the first contact, I felt like the club really wanted me and had big plans for me.”