șŁœÇֱȄ

Mother and son killed in flash floods in southern Jordan

Mother and son killed in flash floods in southern Jordan
Hundreds of tourists were evacuated and the flood waters continued to rise. (Internet)
Short Url
Updated 05 May 2025

Mother and son killed in flash floods in southern Jordan

Mother and son killed in flash floods in southern Jordan
  • The Belgian pair went missing as heavy rain caused flash floods across the country

JORDAN: The bodies were evacuated from the area, and an official investigation into the incident has been launched to determine the circumstances surrounding the tragedy.

A major search and rescue operation had been launched in Jordan after flash floods ripped through vast parts of the country at the weekend.

Hundreds of tourists were evacuated on Sunday as the floodwaters continued to rise.

The Petra Development of Tourism and Region Authority said heavy rain triggered flash floods in the city on Sunday.

A Public Security Directorate spokesman said specialized teams of personnel from Civil Defense, local police directorates, and the Gendarmerie Forces, conducted extensive search operations under what they described as “challenging weather conditions and difficult terrain”.

“Their efforts extended over many hours before the two victims were found deceased”, the report added.

Yazan Mahadin, commissioner of Petra Archaeology Park and Tourism at PDTRA said most of 1,785 tourists that visited on Sunday had been evacuated.

A further 14 who were trapped by floodwaters in the Western Ma’an Police Directorate were rescued uninjured.

Meanwhile a separate team was sent to Tafileh to search for a teenager who went missing while herding sheep in the Hasa area. 

The areas evacuated by the civil defense were Al-Khazneh, the Siq, the Roman Soldier’s Tomb, the Monastery, and the slopes of Prophet Harun.

Ticket sales to all major tourist attractions were suspended as a safety precaution, and the PDTRA is encouraging people to avoid flood paths and low-lying areas.


US senators urge Rubio to push for baby formula deliveries to Gaza

US senators urge Rubio to push for baby formula deliveries to Gaza
Updated 19 sec ago

US senators urge Rubio to push for baby formula deliveries to Gaza

US senators urge Rubio to push for baby formula deliveries to Gaza
  • Senior Democrats call for use of ‘full power and authority’ to ‘protect most vulnerable’
  • Letter comes as Israel intensifies operations, refuses to facilitate further aid deliveries

LONDON: Five Democrat senators have written to US Secretary of State Marco Rubio urging him to help get more baby formula into Gaza.

Israel has intensified military operations in the Palestinian enclave, with fears mounting for vulnerable civilians and reports of famine coming from international observers.

The senators called on Rubio to use his “full power and authority” to allow a “massive surge” of baby formula to reach those most at risk, with 119 young children having died in Gaza of hunger-related causes since the start of the war in October 2023, according to local authorities.

The signatories are Ruben Gallego of Arizona, Peter Welch of Vermont, Tim Kaine of Virginia, Mark Kelly of Arizona and Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts.

“We write to you today with urgency about the grave crisis that infants in Gaze face as a result of severe restrictions on the entry and distribution of humanitarian aid,” they said.

“We appeal to you not only in your capacity as a government official but as a parent,” they added. “No child should face the desperation and suffering we are witnessing in Gaza in real time.”

They said they expect a reply from Rubio by Sept. 8. â€œThis moment demands moral clarity and decisive action,” they added. “We must use our leverage to ensure the most vulnerable are protected.”

The letter comes after more than 100 Democrats in the House of Representatives issued a similar call to Rubio to scale up formula supplies last week.

US public opinion strongly supports the government sending aid to Gaza, with a recent Reuters/Ipsos poll finding around 65 percent of registered voters in favor. 

A Quinnipiac poll for the same period found that 60 percent of voters oppose the war in Gaza, and 77 percent of registered Democrats believe Israel is committing genocide.


Passenger train derails in Egypt, killing at least 3 and injuring 94

Passenger train derails in Egypt, killing at least 3 and injuring 94
Updated 31 August 2025

Passenger train derails in Egypt, killing at least 3 and injuring 94

Passenger train derails in Egypt, killing at least 3 and injuring 94
  • Egypt’s Health Ministry reported that 30 ambulances were dispatched, and the injured were taken to hospitals
  • Train accidents are common in Egypt due to an aging railway system

CAIRO: A passenger train derailed Saturday in western Egypt, killing at least three people and injuring 94 others, authorities said. It was the latest in a series of rail accidents in the country in recent years.
The train derailed as it traveled to Cairo from the western Mediterranean province of Matrouh, on the country’s north coast, railway authorities said in a statement. Seven of its wagons went off the tracks, with two of them overturning.
The Health Ministry released a separate statement detailing the casualty count, adding that 30 ambulances were dispatched to transfer the injured to hospitals.
The railway authorities’ statement said an investigation was opened to determine the cause of the derailment.
Train derailments and crashes are common in Egypt, where an aging railway system has also been plagued by mismanagement. Last October, a locomotive crashed into the tail of a Cairo-bound passenger train in southern Egypt, killing at least one person and injuring multiple others.
In recent years, the government announced initiatives to improve its railways. President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi said in 2018 some 250 billion Egyptian pounds, or $8.13 billion, would be needed to properly overhaul the country’s neglected rail network.


Ships bound for Gaza carrying humanitarian aid and activists prepare to set sail from Barcelona

Ships bound for Gaza carrying humanitarian aid and activists prepare to set sail from Barcelona
Updated 31 August 2025

Ships bound for Gaza carrying humanitarian aid and activists prepare to set sail from Barcelona

Ships bound for Gaza carrying humanitarian aid and activists prepare to set sail from Barcelona
  • The Global Sumud Flotilla will try to break the Israeli blockade and bring humanitarian supplies to Gaza
  • An Israeli official said Saturday that the country will soon halt or slow humanitarian aid into parts of northern Gaza

BARCELONA: A flotilla of ships was preparing to set sail for the Gaza Strip Sunday with humanitarian aid on board, while Israel stepped up its offensive on Gaza City and is limiting the deliveries of food and basic supplies in the north of the Palestinian territory.
The Global Sumud Flotilla will try to break the Israeli blockade of the Palestinian territory and bring humanitarian aid, food, water and medicine to Gaza.
The maritime convoy, made up of delegations from 44 countries, will be joined by more ships from ports in Italy, Greece, and Tunisia in the coming days, on its route from the western end of the Mediterranean to the Gaza Strip, according to organizers. They expect around 20 vessels in total once all are together.
Hours before their departure, boats flying Palestinian flags began docking in line at a pier in Barcelona, while hundreds of supporters wearing keffiyehs chanted “Free Palestine!” and “Boycott Israel!”
“The story here is about Palestine. The story here is how people are being deliberately deprived of the very basic means to survive,” said Swedish activist Greta Thunberg at a press conference.
“The story here is how the world can be silent and how those in power ... are in every possible way betraying and failing Palestinians and all oppressed peoples of the world,” added Thunberg, who will be one of the most recognizable figures on the expedition, alongside actors Susan Sarandon and Liam Cunningham, as well as activists, politicians and journalists.
It is not the first time Thunberg will attempt to reach Gaza waters this year. She was deported in June when the ship she was traveling on with 11 other people, the Madleen, was stopped by the Israeli military.
In late July, the Israeli military stopped another aid ship, detained 21 international activists and reporters, and seized its cargo, including baby formula, food and medicine, according to Freedom Flotilla Coalition.
Earlier this month the leading authority on food crises said that Gaza City was in famine and that half a million people across the strip were facing catastrophic levels of hunger.
An Israeli official said Saturday that the country will soon halt or slow humanitarian aid into parts of northern Gaza, as it expands its military offensive against Hamas, a day after the city was declared a combat zone.
Gaza’s Health Ministry said at least 332 Palestinians have died from malnutrition-related causes during the war, including 124 children.
Cunningham, who will join the flotilla, played a video showing a girl singing while planning her own funeral. The girl, Fatima, died four days ago, he said.
“What sort of world have we slid into where children are making their own funeral arrangements?” Cunningham said to reporters.
The war began on Oct. 7, 2023, when an attack by Hamas militants inside Israel claimed the lives of 1,200 people, most of them civilians, and took 251 people hostage. Israel’s retaliatory military operation in Gaza has so far killed more than 63,000 people and displaced virtually the whole population, according to the territory’s health ministry.


Israel pounds Gaza City suburbs, Netanyahu to convene security cabinet

Israel pounds Gaza City suburbs, Netanyahu to convene security cabinet
Updated 31 August 2025

Israel pounds Gaza City suburbs, Netanyahu to convene security cabinet

Israel pounds Gaza City suburbs, Netanyahu to convene security cabinet
  • Security cabinet will discuss the next stages of the planned offensive to seize Gaza City

CAIRO/JERUSALEM: Israeli forces pounded the suburbs of Gaza City overnight from the air and ground, destroying homes and driving more families out of the area as Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s security cabinet was set on Sunday to discuss a plan to seize the city.
Local health authorities said Israeli gunfire and strikes killed at least 18 people on Sunday, including 13 who tried to get food from near an aid site in the central Gaza Strip, and at least two in a house in Gaza City.
The Israeli military spokesperson’s office said they were reviewing the reports.
Residents of Sheikh Radwan, one of the largest neighborhoods of Gaza City, said the territory had been under Israeli tank shelling and airstrikes throughout Saturday and on Sunday, forcing families to seek shelter in the western parts of the city.
The Israeli military has gradually escalated its operations around Gaza City over the past three weeks, and on Friday it ended temporary pauses in the area that had allowed for aid deliveries, designating it a “dangerous combat zone.”
“They are crawling into the heart of the city where hundreds of thousands are sheltering, from the east, north, and south, while bombing those areas from the air and ground to scare people to leave,” said Rezik Salah, a father of two, from Sheikh Radwan.
An Israeli official said Netanyahu’s security cabinet will convene on Sunday evening to discuss the next stages of the planned offensive to seize Gaza City, which he has described as Hamas’ last bastion.
A full-scale offensive is not expected to start for weeks. Israel says it wants to evacuate the civilian population before moving more ground forces in. On Saturday, Red Cross head Mirjana Spoljaric said an evacuation from the city would provoke a massive population displacement that no other area in the Gaza Strip is equipped to absorb, amid severe shortages of food, shelter, and medical supplies.
“People who have relatives in the south left to stay with them. Others including myself didn’t find a space as Deir Al-Balah and Mawasi are overcrowded,” said Ghada, a mother of five from the city’s Sabra neighborhood. Around half of the enclave’s more than 2 million people are presently in Gaza City. Several thousand were estimated to have left the city for central and southern areas of the enclave, according to local sources.
Israel’s military has warned its political leaders that the offensive is endangering hostages still being held by Hamas in Gaza. Protests in Israel calling for an end to the war and the release of the hostages have intensified in the past few weeks.
Large crowds demonstrated in Tel Aviv on Saturday evening, and hostages’ families protested outside the homes of ministers on Sunday morning.
The war began with a Hamas-led attack on southern Israel on October 7, 2023, in which around 1,200 people were killed, mostly civilians, and 251 taken hostage. Twenty of the remaining 48 hostages are believed to still be alive.
Israel’s military campaign in Gaza has killed more than 63,000 people, mostly civilians, according to Gaza health officials, and it has plunged the enclave into a humanitarian crisis and left much of it in ruins.


Israel claims it killed Hamas’ spokesman Abu Obeida

Israel claims it killed Hamas’ spokesman Abu Obeida
Updated 31 August 2025

Israel claims it killed Hamas’ spokesman Abu Obeida

Israel claims it killed Hamas’ spokesman Abu Obeida
  • A Palestinian source told Al Arabiya on Sunday that the strike hit an apartment where Abu Obeida was staying
  • There was no Hamas comment on Israeli claims about killing Abu Obeida so far

RIYADH: Israeli media claimed an airstrike has killed the spokesman of Hamas’ armed wing, Abu Obeida.
Israeli reports said Saturday’s strike targeted a key Hamas operative, with some senior Israeli officials claiming it was Abu Obeida. 
A Palestinian source told on Sunday that the strike, reportedly on Gaza City’s Rimal neighborhood, hit an apartment where Abu Obeida was staying. 
All residents of that apartment were also killed in the strike, the source said. 
The source added that members of Abu Obeida’s family and Hamas’s armed wing, Al-Qassam Brigades, “confirmed his death after examining the body.” 
There was no Hamas comment on Israeli claims about killing Abu Obeida so far. But the Palestinian militant group warned against spreading rumors regarding the killing of its members.
It said the rumors circulated by Israel were part of a “psychological war aimed at destabilizing the internal front.”
Abu Obeida has been a representative for the Qassam Brigades in media. He appeared in recordings published by Hamas’s armed wing by wrapping a red Palestinian keffiyeh around his head to hide his identity.  
He spoke in a concise and eloquent Arabic providing battleground updates since the ongoing Hamas-Israel war erupted in 2023.