ֱ

Missile launched from Yemen lands near Israel’s main airport

Update Missile launched from Yemen lands near Israel’s main airport
1 / 2
Contrails from the Israeli Iron Dome air defense system fires to intercept projectiles that were launched from Yemen, seen from Highway 1 between Tel Aviv, Israel and Jerusalem, Friday, May 2, 2025. (AP)
Update Missile launched from Yemen lands near Israel’s main airport
2 / 2
Israeli security forces inspect the site where the Israeli military said a projectile fired by Yemen's Houthi rebels landed in the area of Ben Gurion International Airport near Tel Aviv, Israel, on Sunday, May 4, 2025. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 04 May 2025

Missile launched from Yemen lands near Israel’s main airport

Missile launched from Yemen lands near Israel’s main airport
  • Yemen's Houthis claim missile attack on Israel's main airport
  • Sirens were activated in Tel Aviv and other areas in the country

TEL AVIV: A missile landed inside the perimeter of Israel’s main airport on Sunday, wounding six people, halting flights and gouging a wide crater, in an attack claimed by Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi militants.
The Israeli military said “several attempts were made to intercept” the missile that was launched from Yemen, a rare Houthi attack that penetrated Israel’s air defenses.
A video issued by Israel’s police force showed officers standing on the edge of a deep crater with the control tower visible in the distance behind them. No damage was reported to airport buildings or runways.
The police reported a “missile impact” at Ben Gurion airport, Israel’s main international gateway.
An AFP photographer said the missile hit near the parking lots of Terminal 3, the airport’s largest, with the crater less than a kilometer (0.6 miles) away from the closest tarmac.
“You can see the area just behind us: a crater was formed here, several dozen meters (yards) wide and several dozen meters deep,” central Israel’s police chief, Yair Hezroni, said in the video shared by the force.
It was not immediately clear whether the impact was caused by the Yemeni missile or by an interceptor.
The attack was claimed by Yemen’s Houthis, who say they act in support for Palestinians in war-ravaged Gaza.
“The missile force of the Yemeni armed forces carried out a military operation targeting Ben Gurion airport” with a “hypersonic ballistic missile,” the Houthis said in a statement, referring to their own forces.
Israel’s Magen David Adom emergency service said it had treated at least six people with light to moderate injuries.
An AFP journalist inside the airport at the time of the attack said he heard a “loud bang” at around 9:35 am (0635 GMT), adding the “reverberation was very strong.”
“Security staff immediately asked hundreds of passengers to take shelter, some in bunkers,” the AFP journalist said.
“Many passengers are now waiting for their flights to take off, and others are trying to find alternative flights.”
An incoming Air India flight was diverted to Abu Dhabi, an airport official told AFP.
A passenger said the attack, which came shortly after air raid sirens sounded across parts of the country, caused panic.
“It is crazy to say but since October 7 we are used to this,” said the passenger, who did not want to be named, referring to the 2023 Hamas attack on Israel that sparked the war in Gaza.
“A missile might come at any time and life stops for some time. Today at the airport there was panic and even I was scared, because the blast was big.”

Israel’s airport authority said that “departures and arrivals have resumed” at Ben Gurion, a short while after they had been interrupted due to the missile fire.
The airport “is open and operational,” the aviation authority said in a statement.
Defense Minister Israel Katz threatened a forceful response, saying: “Anyone who hits us, we will hit them seven times stronger.”

The armed wing of Palestinian Islamist group Hamas praised the missile attack on Israel's airport that was claimed by the Houthis.

“Yemen... escalates its attacks on the heart of the illegitimate Zionist entity, surpassing the most advanced defense systems in the world and striking its targets with precision,” Abu Obeida, spokesman for the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, said in a statement. 


UAE sends ninth humanitarian ship for Gaza

UAE sends ninth humanitarian ship for Gaza
Updated 30 August 2025

UAE sends ninth humanitarian ship for Gaza

UAE sends ninth humanitarian ship for Gaza
  • The ship departed from Khalifa Port in Abu Dhabi and will dock at Egypt’s Al-Arish Port

DUBAI: The UAE has sent its ninth Hamdan humanitarian ship on Saturday to deliver vital supplies for the Palestinians in the Gaza Strip, as part of the country’s continuing ‘Operation Chivalrous Knight 3’ relief campaign.

The ship departed from Khalifa Port in Abu Dhabi and will dock at Egypt’s Al-Arish Port, where its cargo will be unloaded and subsequently delivered for residents in the besieged enclave, state news agency WAM reported.

The ship carries a total of 7,000 tonnes of relief supplies, including 5,000 tonnes of food parcels, 1,900 tonnes of food items to support community kitchens, 100 tonnes of medical tents for healthcare facilities and five fully equipped ambulances, WAM added.

The UAE and Cyprus have earlier engaged in a joint initiative to deliver vital humanitarian aid to Palestinians in Gaza, under the Amalthea Maritime Corridor program established in March 2024, to complement other international efforts to send aid to Gaza by land, air and sea.

The UAE also inaugurated a 7.5-km pipeline that will deliver desalinated water from Emirati desalination plants in Egypt to the Gaza Strip.

The pipeline, built under the UAE’s Operation Chivalrous Knight 3, has a capacity of about 2 million gallons per day, serving about 1 million people.


Red Cross chief says mass evacuation of Gaza City ‘impossible’

Red Cross chief says mass evacuation of Gaza City ‘impossible’
Updated 30 August 2025

Red Cross chief says mass evacuation of Gaza City ‘impossible’

Red Cross chief says mass evacuation of Gaza City ‘impossible’
  • “It is impossible that a mass evacuation of Gaza City could ever be done in a way that is safe,” the Red Cross says

GENEVA: The head of the international Red Cross on Saturday denounced Israel’s plans for a mass evacuation of Gaza City ahead of a military takeover, insisting there was no way it could be done safely.
“It is impossible that a mass evacuation of Gaza City could ever be done in a way that is safe and dignified under the current conditions,” International Committee of the Red Cross president Mirjana Spoljaric said in a statement, describing the evacuation plan as “not only unfeasible but incomprehensible.”


Iran says eight arrested for suspected links to Israel’s Mossad spy agency

Iran says eight arrested for suspected links to Israel’s Mossad spy agency
Updated 30 August 2025

Iran says eight arrested for suspected links to Israel’s Mossad spy agency

Iran says eight arrested for suspected links to Israel’s Mossad spy agency
  • They are accused of having provided the information to the Mossad spy agency during Israel’s air war on Iran in June

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards said on Saturday they had arrested eight people suspected of trying to transmit the coordinates of sensitive sites and details about senior military figures to Israel’s Mossad, Iranian state media reported.

They are accused of having provided the information to the Mossad spy agency during Israel’s air war on Iran in June, when it attacked Iranian nuclear facilities and killed top military commanders as well as civilians in the worst blow to the Islamic Republic since the 1980s war with Iraq.

Iran retaliated with barrages of missiles on Israeli military sites, infrastructure and cities. The United States entered the war on June 22 with strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities.

A Guards statement alleged that the suspects had received specialized training from Mossad via online platforms. It said they were apprehended in northeastern Iran before carrying out their plans, and that materials for making launchers, bombs, explosives and booby traps had been seized.

State media reported earlier this month that Iranian police had arrested as many as 21,000 “suspects” during the 12-day war with Israel, though they did not say what these people had been suspected of doing.

Security forces conducted a campaign of widespread arrests and also stepped up their street presence during the brief war that ended in a US-brokered ceasefire.

Iran has executed at least eight people in recent months, including nuclear scientist Rouzbeh Vadi, hanged on August 9 for passing information to Israel about another scientist killed in Israeli airstrikes.


Istanbul’s ferries, a beloved link between two continents

Istanbul’s ferries, a beloved link between two continents
Updated 30 August 2025

Istanbul’s ferries, a beloved link between two continents

Istanbul’s ferries, a beloved link between two continents
  • Iconic link for countless passengers traveling between Istanbul’s European shores and its Asian side
  • Main operator Sehir Hatlari carries at least 40 million passengers a year

ISTANBUL: For nearly two centuries, the white ferries gliding over the Bosphorus Strait have provided an iconic link for countless passengers traveling between Istanbul’s European shores and its Asian side.
Despite the increasingly congested waters and competition from the Turkish megacity’s bridges and undersea metro line, the ferries remain very popular.
The main operator Sehir Hatlari carries at least 40 million passengers a year.
“Any view of Istanbul must include Maiden’s Tower, a ferry and a seagull,” smiled Adil Bali, a specialist on the history of Istanbul’s ferries, referring to a tiny rocky outcrop at the southern entrance to the Bosphorus.
“It is one of the few cities in the world that can be crossed by sea, so the ferries are indispensable here.”
Their arrival in 1843 transformed the simple fishing villages lining the shores of the Bosphorus into popular holiday destinations where wooden palaces were later built overlooking the water, boosting trade.
Until the first Bosphorus bridge was opened in 1973, the only way to cross between Istanbul’s Asian and European sides was by boat – and today, the experience remains an essential part of the city’s charm.
At the helm of the Pasabahce, the flagship of Sehir Hatlari’s 30 vessels, Captain Ekrem Ozcelik said the waters had become increasingly crowded.
“There’s a lot more traffic on the water,” he said of the tankers, containers and cargo ships that pass through the strait linking the Black Sea to the Aegean via the Sea of Marmara and the Dardanelles.
There are also cruise ships and private yachts navigating what is one of the world’s busiest waterways, where 41,300 vessels passed in 2024, official figures show – an average of 113 per day.
“Navigating the waters of Istanbul requires a certain amount of experience,” Ozcelik said of the strait’s powerful currents, whose waters can get particularly tricky when strong southwesterly winds can whip up three-meter (10-foot) high waves.
Born into a family of sailors and fishermen, Ozcelik said his boyhood dream was to one day don the white cap and uniform of a captain.
Now 52, he enjoys the freedom of sailing and the kudos of his profession.
“Being a captain in the heart of Istanbul is a source of great pride.”
And even more so on the Pasabahce, which recently escaped being decommissioned and instead underwent a two-year restoration, returning to the Bosphorus in 2022 on its 70th birthday.
“It’s harder to maneuver than the others. It’s heavier and turning corners is complicated,” admitted first officer Semih Aksoy, 36.
But he added he wouldn’t change the iconic ferry for the world, with its trademark wooden tables and old-world air of faded luxury.
“This ship has a unique beauty, a special feel to it.”
With its nine-man crew, the Pasabahce mainly sails the 20-minute route between the Asian district of Kadikoy and Besiktas on the European side.
But even that relatively short trip can be tricky, said Burak Temiz, a 24-year-old sailor.
“This summer, people were jumping into the water from Maiden’s Tower for hours.
“And then there are the fishing nets,” he said, adding that the ferry’s bows had even been grazed by jet skis in the crowded waters.
All the other ferries have a six-man crew, and dozens more staff work at the city’s 53 ports, many of whom are known by regulars.
Ibrahim Bayus, a 62-year-old engineer born on Buyukada, the largest of the nearby Princes’ Islands in the Sea of Marmara, recalls the familiarity of the ferries.
“As a boy, I often forgot to bring money but the captain knew me,” he smiled.
With the service only suspended for snow, fog or a violent storm, Captain Ozcelik recalls when three students on Buyukada came to beg for his help.
“Traffic had been suspended but they told me if they couldn’t take their exams, they would fail the entire year. So I took them to Kadikoy. And they all passed,” he smiled.
And they still come to visit him.


Jordanian foreign minister calls for global action over latest Israeli offensive in Gaza

Jordanian foreign minister calls for global action over latest Israeli offensive in Gaza
Updated 30 August 2025

Jordanian foreign minister calls for global action over latest Israeli offensive in Gaza

Jordanian foreign minister calls for global action over latest Israeli offensive in Gaza
  • Ayman Safadi accuses Israeli Prime Minister Behjamin Netanyahu of blocking peace and prolonging war to ensure his own political survival
  • He praises Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Norway, Slovenia and Spain for condemning the offensive and Israel’s plans for a permanent presence in Gaza City

AMMAN: Jordan’s foreign minister on Friday called on the international community to take stronger action against Israel in response to the nation’s latest military offensive in Gaza, warning that continued impunity will only fuel further regional instability.

In a message posted on social media platform X, Ayman Safadi praised his fellow foreign ministers from Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Norway, Slovenia and Spain for their joint condemnation on Friday of the most recent military offensive in Gaza, as well as the announcement by Israeli authorities that they plan to establish a permanent presence in Gaza City.

He urged other countries committed to the principles of international law and human rights to follow suit.

 

 

“The impunity with which Israel is making a mockery of international law cannot continue,” Safadi said, stressing that decisive measures were needed to end the hunger crisis Palestinians in Gaza are faced with amid continuing restrictions on delivery of aid.

He accused Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who is embroiled in a long-running court case on charges of corruption, of deliberately prolonging the conflict to ensure his own political survival.

“Netanyahu thrives on conflict,” Safadi said, describing the policies of the Israeli government as serving a “racist, inhumane ideology that the world should not tolerate.”

Safadi said Netanyahu was “destroying Gaza, destroying hopes for a just peace, and setting fire to the entire region” to save his own political career. More than 1.3 million Palestinians have lost their livelihoods as a result of the conflict in the territory, he added, and a million people in Gaza City face famine.

The minister said a ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas was within reach but accused Netanyahu of blocking it.

“He prefers the war to continue,” Safadi said. “This is the horrific reality that the international community cannot ignore any more.

“We urge all countries to adopt the position of Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Norway, Slovenia and Spain, and others who are standing on the side of peace and justice, and act now to stop more slaughtering of innocent Palestinians.”