ֱ

Israel calls up tens of thousands of reservists for Gaza offensive

Israel calls up tens of thousands of reservists for Gaza offensive
1 / 2
Israeli tanks operate in the Israel-Gaza border, as seen from Israel on May 3, 2025. (REUTER)
Israel calls up tens of thousands of reservists for Gaza offensive
2 / 2
Smoke rises from Gaza after an Israeli airstrike, as seen from Israel on May 3, 2025. (REUTERS)
Short Url
Updated 04 May 2025

Israel calls up tens of thousands of reservists for Gaza offensive

Israel calls up tens of thousands of reservists for Gaza offensive
  • Israel resumed major operations across Gaza on March 18 amid deadlock over how to proceed with a 2-month ceasefire
  • Security cabinet scheduled to meet on Sunday to approve the expansion of the military offensive, says public broadcaster

JERUSALEM: Israel was issuing orders to call up tens of thousands of reservists ahead of an expanded offensive in Gaza, Israeli media reported Saturday.
Several news outlets reported the military had begun sending the orders for reservists to replace conscripts and active-duty soldiers in Israel and the occupied West Bank so they can be redeployed to Gaza.
A military spokesperson neither confirmed nor denied the reports, but relatives of AFP journalists were among those who received mobilization orders.
According to Israel’s public broadcaster, the security cabinet is scheduled to meet on Sunday to approve the expansion of the military offensive in Gaza.
Israel resumed major operations across Gaza on March 18 amid deadlock over how to proceed with a two-month ceasefire that had largely halted the war sparked by Hamas’s October 2023 attack.

The Israeli prime minister, under pressure from his far-right supporters, without whom he would lose his governing coalition, has been increasingly vocal in his calls to continue the war since the restart of the Gaza offensive.
“Israel will win this just war with just means,” he added.
Israel has also blocked all aid deliveries to Gaza since March 2, prompting warnings from UN agencies of impending humanitarian disaster.

Hamas on Saturday released footage of an apparently wounded Israeli-Russian hostage held in Gaza as 11 Palestinians, including three infants, were killed in a strike on the territory, its civil defense agency said.
The health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza said at least 2,396 people had been killed since Israel resumed its campaign in Gaza, bringing the overall death toll from the war to 52,495.
Gaza militants still hold 58 hostages, 34 of whom the army says are dead. Hamas is also holding the remains of an Israeli soldier killed in a previous war in Gaza in 2014.
The militant group’s armed wing, the Ezzedine Al-Qassam Brigades, released a video on Saturday showing a hostage AFP and Israeli media identified as Russian-Israeli Maxim Herkin.
In the undated four-minute video, Herkin, who turns 37 this month, was shown wearing bandages on his head and left arm.
Speaking in Hebrew in the video, which his family urged media to disseminate, he implied he had been wounded in a recent Israeli bombardment.
AFP was unable to determine the health of Herkin, who gave a similar message to other hostages shown in videos released by Hamas, urging pressure on the Israeli government to free the remaining captives.

Several thousand Israelis demonstrated outside the defense ministry in Tel Aviv on Saturday, demanding action from the government to secure the hostages’ release.
“We’re here because we want the hostages home. We’re here because we don’t believe that the war in Gaza today, currently, is justified at all,” Arona Maskil, a 64-year-old demonstrator, told AFP.
The government says its renewed offensive is aimed at forcing Hamas to free its remaining captives, although critics charge that it puts them in mortal danger.
A statement from the Hostages and Missing Families Forum argued that “any escalation in the fighting will put the hostages... in immediate danger.”
In Gaza, the civil defense agency said on Saturday that an overnight Israeli strike on the Khan Yunis refugee camp killed at least 11 people, including three infants.
Agency spokesman Mahmud Bassal say they were killed in the “bombardment of the Al-Bayram family home in Khan Yunis camp” at around 3:00 am (0000 GMT).
Bassal told AFP that eight of the dead had been identified and were all from the same extended family, including a boy and girl, both one, and a month-old baby.
An Israeli military spokesperson confirmed the strike, saying it targeted a “Hamas member.”
Rescue workers and residents combed the rubble for survivors with their bare hands, under the light of hand-held torches, an AFP journalist reported.
Neighbour Fayka Abu Hatab said she “saw a bright light, then there was an explosion, and dust covered the entire area.”
“We couldn’t see anything, it all went dark,” she said.


Turkiye sets year-end goal for PKK peace framework

Turkiye sets year-end goal for PKK peace framework
Updated 13 sec ago

Turkiye sets year-end goal for PKK peace framework

Turkiye sets year-end goal for PKK peace framework
  • Turkiye has given a parliamentary commission until the end of the year to lay the groundwork for a peace process with the Kurdish militant group PKK, the speaker of parliament said Friday
ISTANBUL: Turkiye has given a parliamentary commission until the end of the year to lay the groundwork for a peace process with the Kurdish militant group PKK, the speaker of parliament said Friday.
The Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) announced an end in May to a decades-long insurgency that claimed more than 50,000 lives, saying it was taking up a democratic struggle to defend the rights of the Kurdish minority.
Two months later, its fighters began laying down their weapons at a symbolic ceremony in northern Iraq, after which the Turkish parliament set up the cross-party commission to manage the emerging peace process.
The move came after months of indirect contacts between the Turkish government and the PKK’s jailed founder, Abdullah Ocalan.
The commission, which is tasked with preparing the legal framework for the peace process, held its first session on August 5 under the chairmanship of parliamentary speaker Numan Kurtulmus.
He said Friday it would continue working until year’s end.
“The decision we made upon the establishment of the commission was to conclude its work on December 31,” he told state news agency Anadolu, saying the deadline was extendible.
“If necessary, it can be extended by two-month periods.”
The 48-member commission is tasked with overseeing the political integration of the PKK and its fighters, as well as deciding the fate of its 76-year-old leader, who has been held in solitary confinement on Imrali prison island since 1999.
Among those participating are 25 lawmakers from the ruling bloc of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s AKP and its nationalist ally MHP, 10 from the main opposition CHP and four from the pro-Kurdish DEM.
DEM, Turkiye’s third-biggest party, has played a key role in facilitating an emerging peace deal, sending a specialized delegation to hold regular meetings with Ocalan on Imrali island — the latest of which took place on Thursday.
In a statement on Friday, the so-called Imrali delegation said they had held a three-hour meeting with Ocalan about the ongoing process.
“He said democratic society, peace and integration were the three key concepts of this process and that results could be achieved on this basis,” it said.

More than 800 Iraqis repatriated from notorious Syria camp

More than 800 Iraqis repatriated from notorious Syria camp
Updated 1 min 41 sec ago

More than 800 Iraqis repatriated from notorious Syria camp

More than 800 Iraqis repatriated from notorious Syria camp
Jihan Hanan, director of the Kurdish-administered camp, said that “there are approximately 850 people departing today“
Al-Hol is northeast Syria’s largest camp, and its residents have been living in dire conditions

AL-HOL CAMP, Syria: More than 800 Iraqi nationals left northeast Syria’s Al-Hol camp on Thursday, the facility’s director told AFP, the latest batch to quit the notorious camp that holds suspected relatives of Daesh group militants

Jihan Hanan, director of the Kurdish-administered camp, said that “there are approximately 850 people departing today.”

She added that since the start of the year, about 10,000 Iraqis have left Al-Hol in 11 batches.

Kurdish-run camps and prisons in Syria’s northeast hold tens of thousands of people, many with alleged or perceived links to Daesh, more than six years after the group’s territorial defeat in Syria.

Al-Hol is northeast Syria’s largest camp, and its residents have been living in dire conditions.

Umm Mahmud, 60, an Iraqi woman departing the camp, told AFP: “We’ve suffered greatly in Al-Hol, psychologically, physically and financially.”

“Look at the children, look how happy they are. It’s like a holiday,” she said.

Hanan said the camp now housed approximately 27,000 people, including some 15,000 Syrians and about 6,300 foreign women and children from 42 nationalities, in addition to some 5,000 Iraqis.

While many Western countries refuse to take back their nationals, Baghdad has taken the lead by accelerating repatriations and urging others to follow suit.

In February, Kurdish official Sheikhmous Ahmed said the administration aimed to empty camps in Syria’s northeast of thousands of displaced Syrians and Iraqi refugees, including suspected relatives of militants, by the end of the year.

Daesh seized swathes of Syria and neighboring Iraq in 2014, before being territorially defeated in Syria in 2019, but has since maintains a presence there, particularly in the country’s vast desert.

UAE opens Gaza water pipeline

UAE opens Gaza water pipeline
Updated 29 August 2025

UAE opens Gaza water pipeline

UAE opens Gaza water pipeline
  • Relief for Palestinian families who have endured a severe shortage of drinking water since the Israel-Hamas war began in late 2023

DUBAI: The UAE on Friday inaugurated a 7.5-km pipeline that will deliver desalinated water from Emirati desalination plants in Egypt to the Gaza Strip.

It will provide relief to Palestinian families who have endured a severe shortage of drinking water since the Israel-Hamas war began in late 2023.

The pipeline, built under the UAE’s Operation Chivalrous Knight 3, has a capacity of about 2 million gallons per day, serving about 1 million people.

It is connected to the Al-Buraq reservoir in Khan Younis, with a capacity of 5,000 cubic meters, ensuring additional areas gain access to clean water, state news agency WAM reported.

The UAE has previously established six desalination plants, provided reservoirs and tankers, and maintained wells for Palestinians in Gaza, WAM added.

The UAE is also cooperating with other countries and organizations, including Jordan and Indonesia, to conduct airdrops under the Birds of Goodness operation, delivering essential food supplies for the people of Gaza.


Largest flotilla for Gaza hopes to pressure Israel to end blockade

Largest flotilla for Gaza hopes to pressure Israel to end blockade
Updated 29 August 2025

Largest flotilla for Gaza hopes to pressure Israel to end blockade

Largest flotilla for Gaza hopes to pressure Israel to end blockade
  • Swedish activist Greta Thunberg and Portuguese left-wing politician Mariana Mortagu among those due to depart from several ports to Gaza
  • In June, Israeli naval forces boarded and seized a British-flagged yacht carrying Thunberg, among others

BARCELONA: Pro-Palestinian activists preparing to set sail from Spain on Sunday for Gaza in dozens of boats carrying aid have called on governments to pressure Israel to allow their flotilla — the largest to date — through the naval blockade.
Swedish activist Greta Thunberg and Portuguese left-wing politician Mariana Mortagua were among hundreds of people from 44 countries due to depart from several ports to Gaza as part of the Global Sumud Flotilla. Sumud means “perseverance” in Arabic.
Israel has scuppered numerous attempts over the 15 years of the blockade, including a 2010 boarding by its special forces in which at least nine Turkish activists were killed. The ball was in politicians’ court to put pressure on Israel to let the flotilla through, said Saif Abukeshek, one of the organizers.
“They need to act to defend human rights and to guarantee a safe passage for this flotilla,” the Palestinian, who is resident in Spain, told Reuters on Thursday in Barcelona.
In June, Israeli naval forces boarded and seized a British-flagged yacht carrying Thunberg, among others. Israel dismissed the aid ship as a propaganda stunt in support of Hamas.
It has imposed a naval blockade on the coastal enclave since Hamas took control of Gaza in 2007, saying it aims to stop weapons from reaching the militant group.
The blockade has remained in place through conflicts including the current war, which began when Hamas-led militants rampaged through southern Israel on October 7, 2023, killing more than 1,200 people and taking 251 hostages, by Israeli tallies.
Israel’s retaliatory offensive against Hamas has since killed almost 63,000 Palestinians, according to health officials in Hamas-run Gaza, while a global hunger monitor says part of it is suffering from famine.
In early March, Israel also sealed off Gaza by land, letting in no supplies for three months, arguing that Hamas was diverting aid.


Macron backs Lebanese sovereignty after Israeli drone strike kills 2 soldiers in south

Macron backs Lebanese sovereignty after Israeli drone strike kills 2 soldiers in south
Updated 29 August 2025

Macron backs Lebanese sovereignty after Israeli drone strike kills 2 soldiers in south

Macron backs Lebanese sovereignty after Israeli drone strike kills 2 soldiers in south
  • The plan Macron referred to is understood to involve efforts to disarm non-state actors operating along the southern border, particularly Hezbollah

DUBAI: French President Emmanuel Macron reaffirmed France’s support for Lebanese sovereignty and security on Friday, following a deadly Israeli drone strike that killed two Lebanese soldiers in the southern town of Naqoura earlier on Thursday.

In a statement posted on X, Macron said he had spoken with Lebanon’s President Joseph Aoun and Prime Minister Nawaf Salam to discuss the country’s security situation and the path forward.

The French president praised Lebanon’s efforts to reassert state authority on arms and announced new diplomatic initiatives to support stability and reconstruction.

“I commended the courageous decisions taken by the Lebanese executive to restore the state’s monopoly on the use of force,” Macron said, urging the Lebanese government to adopt a national plan expected to be presented to the Cabinet in the coming days.

He reiterated that any successful stabilization plan must include the “complete withdrawal of Israeli forces from southern Lebanon and an end to all violations of Lebanese sovereignty.

“France has consistently stated its readiness to play a role in the handover of the remaining positions still occupied by Israel,” he said.

The plan Macron referred to is understood to involve efforts to disarm non-state actors operating along the southern border, particularly Hezbollah, and strengthen the presence of the Lebanese Armed Forces in coordination with the UN Interim Force in Lebanon.

UNIFIL’s mandate was renewed unanimously by the UN Security Council this week, a move Macron called an “important signal.”

France, a key contributor to the peacekeeping mission, has played a central role in mediating between Beirut and Tel Aviv.

The Lebanese Armed Forces also began receiving weapons handed over by Palestinian militant groups based in the country’s refugee camps, where an estimated 200,000 Palestinians live stateless.

Macron also announced that his personal envoy, Jean-Yves Le Drian, will return to Lebanon to assist in implementing the plan once it is approved.

The French president said he was committed to convening two high-level international conferences by the end of the year— one to support the Lebanese army and another focused on Lebanon’s broader recovery and reconstruction.

“Lebanon’s security and sovereignty must rest solely in the hands of the Lebanese authorities,” Macron said, calling for a vision of the country where “security is restored, sovereignty affirmed, and prosperity rebuilt.”

France has historically maintained close ties with Lebanon and has taken a leading role in recent years to address the country’s political paralysis, economic collapse, and worsening security environment.