ֱ

Israel says intercepts drone claimed by Houthis

The Houthi militia in Yemen, claiming to be acting in solidarity with the Palestinians, stated on their official website that they had launched two drones. (AP)
The Houthi militia in Yemen, claiming to be acting in solidarity with the Palestinians, stated on their official website that they had launched two drones. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 12 April 2025

Israel says intercepts drone claimed by Houthis

Israel says intercepts drone claimed by Houthis
  • Since the war in Gaza between Israel and Hamas erupted in October 2023, the Houthis have repeatedly launched drone and missile attacks at Israel

JERUSALEM: Israel’s military said Friday it had intercepted an incoming UAV while a military source in Jordan said another drone had crashed there, as Iran-backed Houthis claimed the attacks.
“A short while ago, a UAV (drone) that was on its way to Israeli territory from the east was intercepted by the IAF (Israeli air force),” the Israeli military said in a statement, without elaborating.
Since the war in Gaza between Israel and Hamas erupted in October 2023, the Houthis have repeatedly launched drone and missile attacks at Israel, many of which have been intercepted before entering Israeli airspace.
The Houthi militia in Yemen, claiming to be acting in solidarity with the Palestinians, stated on their official website that they had launched two drones “targeting two Israeli military targets in the occupied Jaffa area” south of Tel Aviv.
The Houthis “assure to the oppressed Palestinian people that they are committed to their pledge of support and assistance, will not retreat, and will not stop,” the statement said.
In Israel’s eastern neighbor Jordan, several media outlets reported that Israel’s military had intercepted a Yemeni drone over the Dead Sea.
A Jordanian military source said an unidentified drone breached the country’s airspace and crashed in the Ma’in area of Madaba Governorate, some 30 kilometers (20 miles) southwest of the capital Amman.
No casualties were reported, but falling debris ignited a fire in the wooded area where it came down.
Jordanian military personnel and civil defense teams extinguished the blaze.
Besides the Houthis, the Islamic Resistance in Iraq, another pro-Iran group, has also claimed being behind a number of attacks targeting Israel since the Gaza war began.


Seven dead, 71 wounded as Sudan’s RSF shells besieged city

Sudanese residents gather to receive free meals in El-Fasher, a city besieged by Sudan's paramilitary Rapid Support Forces.
Sudanese residents gather to receive free meals in El-Fasher, a city besieged by Sudan's paramilitary Rapid Support Forces.
Updated 57 min 32 sec ago

Seven dead, 71 wounded as Sudan’s RSF shells besieged city

Sudanese residents gather to receive free meals in El-Fasher, a city besieged by Sudan's paramilitary Rapid Support Forces.
  • El-Fasher has become the most violent front line in the war between the Sudanese army and the RSF, which erupted in April 2023

KHARTOUM: Shelling by Sudan’s Rapid Support Forces killed at least seven people and wounded 71 others in El-Fasher, a medical source said Sunday, as the paramilitary group launched its fiercest offensive yet on the besieged city.
El-Fasher, the last major city in the vast western Darfur region still under army control, has become the most violent front line in the war between the Sudanese army and the RSF, which erupted in April 2023.
In recent weeks, paramilitary forces have escalated their long-running siege, launching fierce artillery barrages and ground incursions into densely populated neighborhoods, the city’s airport and the famine-hit Abu Shouk displacement camp.
The few hospitals still operational have been repeatedly bombarded and the local police headquarters captured by the RSF.
The medical source, who requested anonymity for safety reasons, said the true toll from Saturday’s attack was “likely higher,” as many injured had been unable to reach the hospital due to the intensity of the RSF’s strikes.
Among the wounded, mostly suffering from shrapnel injuries, 22 were reported to be in a critical condition, according to the source, who was reached via satellite Internet to bypass a communications blackout.
Local activists said the attack struck several neighborhoods in the city’s west near the airport, which RSF forces have sought to capture.
The RSF, which evolved from the Janjaweed Arab militias accused of genocide in Darfur in the early 2000s, is seeking to wrest full control of the region from the army after being pushed out of the capital Khartoum earlier this year.
Satellite imagery from Yale University’s Humanitarian Research Lab revealed Thursday that the RSF had constructed more than 31 kilometers of berms — raised earth barriers — “creating a literal kill box” in the city, the report said.
Its imagery also identified munitions impact damage at the city’s water authority, which supplies El-Fasher with fresh drinking water.
Nathaniel Raymond, the lab’s executive director, said the RSF had confined the Sudanese army and its allied militias to less than five square kilometers in the city.
“It’s the smallest it’s been since the siege began,” he told AFP.
The besieged population — estimated by the UN at some 300,000 — has endured severe shortages of water and food for over a year, according to humanitarian workers.
Famine was officially declared in three displacement camps around El-Fasher last year, and the UN warned it could spread to the city itself by last May.
A lack of data has so far prevented an official declaration of famine, but the UN estimates that nearly 40 percent of children under five are acutely malnourished, with 11 percent severely so.
Many have resorted to eating animal fodder, while desperate attempts to escape into the desert often end in death from exposure, starvation or violence.
“The pattern of life is ending,” said Raymond.
“They are dying in poverty, crossfire and bombardment and they’re being killed as they’re trying to leave,” he added.
Yale’s satellite images show that cemeteries had been expanded over the past months.
“The most worrisome part will be when there’s no one left to dig the graves anymore.”
The RSF, which recently announced the formation of a parallel government in the region, would control all five Darfur state capitals if it were to successfully capture El-Fasher.
Experts have warned that the city’s non-Arab Zaghawa tribe may face a similar fate to the non-Arab Massalit tribe in West Darfur’s state capital of El-Geneina, where UN experts found up to 15,000 people, mostly from the tribe, were killed in 2023 massacres blamed on RSF forces.
Both warring sides have been accused of war crimes, but the RSF has, in particular, been accused of genocide, sexual violence and systematic looting.
In the early 2000s, the paramilitary force led a government-orchestrated campaign of ethnic cleansing against non-Arab ethnic groups in Darfur, killing an estimated 300,000 people.
“The Janjaweed are about to win the entire genocide that began in the early 21st century,” Raymond said.
“And the world isn’t going to do anything about it.”


WFP says Yemen’s Houthis detained agency employee

WFP says Yemen’s Houthis detained agency employee
Updated 31 August 2025

WFP says Yemen’s Houthis detained agency employee

WFP says Yemen’s Houthis detained agency employee
  • Seven WFP employees and three UNICEF workers were arrested on Sunday after their offices had been raided

RIYADH: The UN’s World Food Programme said that Yemen’s Houthis detained one of its employees in the militant-held capital Sanaa on Sunday, with more staff members feared apprehended elsewhere in the country.
“WFP’s offices in Sanaa were entered by local security forces who have detained a staff member, with reports of other detentions (of staff) in other areas,” the agency said in a statement to AFP.
It added that it was “urgently seeking additional information” from the Houthi authorities, who seized the capital Sanaa in 2014 and now control large parts of Yemen.
A security source told AFP that seven WFP employees and three UNICEF workers were arrested on Sunday after their offices had been raided.
The WFP statement said that “the arbitrary detention of humanitarian staff is unacceptable. The safety and security of personnel is essential to carrying out life-saving humanitarian work.”
Following an Israeli strike on Sanaa on Thursday that killed the Iran-backed group’s prime minister, a Yemeni security source told AFP that Houthi authorities had arrested dozens of people in Sanaa and other areas “on suspicion of collaborating with Israel.”
In January, the rebels detained eight UN workers, adding to dozens of UN and aid group personnel held since June 2024.
The Houthis claimed the June arrests included “an American-Israeli spy network” operating under the cover of humanitarian organizations — allegations emphatically rejected by the UN.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in June demanded “their immediate and unconditional release,” and lamented the “deplorable tragedy” of the death in detention of a WFP staffer earlier this year.
A decade of civil war has plunged Yemen into one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises, with more than half of the population relying on aid.
The arrests last year prompted the United Nations to limit its deployments and suspend activities in some regions of the Arabian Peninsula’s poorest country.


Lebanon parliament speaker calls for dialogue over Hezbollah weapons

Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri (R) meets with US envoy Thomas Barrack in Beirut on July 7, 2025. (File/AFP)
Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri (R) meets with US envoy Thomas Barrack in Beirut on July 7, 2025. (File/AFP)
Updated 31 August 2025

Lebanon parliament speaker calls for dialogue over Hezbollah weapons

Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri (R) meets with US envoy Thomas Barrack in Beirut on July 7, 2025. (File/AFP)
  • Lebanon’s government this month tasked the army with drawing up a plan to disarm Hezbollah by the end of the year
  • Hezbollah strongly opposed the decision and Shiite ministers withdrew from the last government session in protest

BEIRUT: Lebanon’s Speaker of Parliament Nabih Berri, an ally of the Iran-backed Hezbollah, called on Sunday for dialogue over its weapons, days before the government is expected to approve an army plan to disarm the group.
Months after Hezbollah’s devastating war with Israel and under heavy US pressure, Lebanon’s government this month tasked the army with drawing up a plan to disarm Hezbollah by the end of the year.
Hezbollah strongly opposed the decision and Shiite ministers, including representatives from the group and Berri’s Amal Movement, withdrew from the last government session in protest.
“We reiterate that we are open to discussing the fate of those weapons... in a calm and consensual dialogue,” Berri, an influential Shiite leader, said in a speech commemorating the 1978 disappearance of Amal founder Musa Al-Sadr.
Lebanon’s ministers are set to meet again on Friday after receiving the army’s plan.
Berri criticized the government’s moves, which are based on a US proposal.
“What is proposed in the American paper goes beyond the principle of (a state) weapons monopoly, and rather appears as an alternative to the November ceasefire agreement,” he stated.
Hezbollah emerged heavily weakened from a devastating war with Israel that ended in a ceasefire signed in November.
Israel has kept up attacks in Lebanon despite the truce.
Earlier on Sunday, the Israeli army said it carried out a strike on a site run by Hezbollah in southern Lebanon.
Lebanon’s National News Agency reported intense strikes in the area, where serious damage was recorded.
A later strike on a motorcycle killed one man, according to the NNA.
The agreement states that Hezbollah is to pull its fighters north of the Litani River, around 30 kilometers (20 miles) north of Israel.
Israel was to withdraw its troops from Lebanon but has kept them at five points it deems strategic, with Washington linking a full Israeli withdrawal with the disarmament of Hezbollah.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has also suggested the two issues are linked.
Berri rejected holding a dialogue under “threats” that undermine the truce agreement.


Israeli forces disperse rally in Hebron to release bodies of individuals held since 1967

Israeli forces disperse rally in Hebron to release bodies of individuals held since 1967
Updated 31 August 2025

Israeli forces disperse rally in Hebron to release bodies of individuals held since 1967

Israeli forces disperse rally in Hebron to release bodies of individuals held since 1967
  • Among the bodies are 67 children, 85 prisoners and 10 women
  • Last week, Israeli forces suppressed a similar rally in Ramallah, injuring 58 Palestinians with live ammunition

LONDON: Hundreds of Palestinians rallied in the city of Hebron in the southern occupied West Bank to demand the release of the bodies of slain individuals before being dispersed by Israeli forces on Sunday.

Israeli forces fired tear gas canisters to disperse participants at Ibn Rushd Square in Hebron, causing several cases of suffocation, according to the Wafa news agency.

Since Israel occupied the Palestinian territories during the 1967 Middle East War, it has held 726 bodies of Palestinians and Arab citizens in various unidentified cemeteries and locations. Those include the bodies of 67 children, 85 prisoners, and 10 women.

The rally aimed to raise awareness of the issue and urge human rights organizations and the UN to take action to ensure the release of the bodies. Last week, Israeli forces suppressed a similar rally in Ramallah, injuring 58 Palestinians with live ammunition, rubber-coated steel bullets, and tear gas, Wafa reported.


Yemen’s Houthis vow to intensify attacks on Israel after group’s PM killed

An Israeli attack on Thursday killed the Houthis’ prime minister, Ahmed Ghaleb Nasser Al-Rahawi. (File/Reuters)
An Israeli attack on Thursday killed the Houthis’ prime minister, Ahmed Ghaleb Nasser Al-Rahawi. (File/Reuters)
Updated 31 August 2025

Yemen’s Houthis vow to intensify attacks on Israel after group’s PM killed

An Israeli attack on Thursday killed the Houthis’ prime minister, Ahmed Ghaleb Nasser Al-Rahawi. (File/Reuters)
  • An attack on Thursday killed the Houthis’ prime minister, Ahmed Ghaleb Nasser Al-Rahawi, and other officials

SANAA: The leader of Yemen’s Houthis said on Sunday his group would keep launching attacks against Israel, a day after confirming that an Israeli strike had killed their government’s prime minister.

An attack on Thursday killed the Houthis’ prime minister, Ahmed Ghaleb Nasser Al-Rahawi, and other officials, the Iran-backed group has said.

Israel’s military has confirmed the strike on Sanaa, Yemen’s capital, and that it had killed Rahawi — the most senior official known to have died in a series of attacks during the Gaza war.

In a speech broadcast Sunday on the Houthis’s Al-Masirah TV, group leader Abdul Malik Al-Houthi vowed to continue “targeting Israel with missiles and drones” and to escalate these attacks.

He added that recent Israeli strikes on Houthi-held areas of Yemen would not weaken the group or discourage its fighters.

The Houthis have launched repeated drone and missile attacks on Israel since the Gaza war erupted in October 2023.

Israel has been striking Houthi targets for months in response to the militants’ attacks, which they say are in support of the Palestinians in Gaza.

A Yemeni security source told AFP on Saturday that Houthi authorities had arrested dozens of people in Sanaa and other areas “on suspicion of collaborating with Israel.”

The Houthis’ leader said in his speech that “the coming days will see additional success... in thwarting the Israeli enemy’s attempts to commit crimes against our dear people or to target official institutions and cities.”