ֱ

Britain’s Prince Harry meets war victims in unannounced visit to Ukraine

Britain’s Prince Harry meets war victims in unannounced visit to Ukraine
Britain's Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex waves as he leaves the High Court, in central London, Apr. 8, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 10 April 2025

Britain’s Prince Harry meets war victims in unannounced visit to Ukraine

Britain’s Prince Harry meets war victims in unannounced visit to Ukraine
  • Prince Harry visited an orthopedic clinic in Lviv that treats and rehabilitates wounded military personnel and civilians
  • He served 10 years in the British Army and made helping injured soldiers one of his most prominent causes

LONDON: Prince Harry met with war victims on Thursday in an unannounced visit to Ukraine as part of his ongoing work with wounded veterans, a spokesperson said.
Harry visited the Superhumans Center, an orthopedic clinic in Lviv that treats and rehabilitates wounded military personnel and civilians, to see top-notch services provided in a country in the midst of war. The center provides prosthetics, reconstructive surgery and psychological help free of charge.
The Duke of Sussex, who served 10 years in the British Army, has made helping injured soldiers one of his most prominent causes. He founded the Invictus Games in 2014 to offer wounded veterans the challenge of competing in sports events similar to the Paralympics.
Harry was accompanied by a contingent from the Invictus Games Foundation, including four veterans who have been through similar rehabilitation experiences.
The visit to the area in western Ukraine that has frequently been targeted with Russian missiles was not announced until after he was out of the country.
He traveled to Ukraine after spending two days in a London court where he is appealing the British government’s decision to strip him of his government-funded protection after he quit working as a member of the royal family in 2020 and moved his family to California.
The prince is no stranger to war, having served two tours in Afghanistan, where he flew missions as an Apache helicopter copilot gunner.
Harry, 40, the younger son of King Charles III, is the second member of the royal family to visit Ukraine. His aunt, Sophie, the Duchess of Edinburgh, became the first British royal to travel to the country since Russia’s 2022 invasion when she made an unannounced visit to Kyiv last year.
The royal family has been outspoken in their support for Ukraine. King Charles warmly greeted President Volodymyr Zelensky in a show of support at his estate on the North Sea coast just two days after his extraordinary dressing down by US President Donald Trump at the White House.
Harry’s older brother, Prince William, met with Ukrainian refugees during a two day visit to Estonia last month.


Floods in Punjab kill 30, half a million people evacuated as Indus threat rises

Floods in Punjab kill 30, half a million people evacuated as Indus threat rises
Updated 30 August 2025

Floods in Punjab kill 30, half a million people evacuated as Indus threat rises

Floods in Punjab kill 30, half a million people evacuated as Indus threat rises
  • Three transboundary rivers that cut through Punjab province have swollen to exceptionally high levels
  • Overall, more than 1.5 million people have been affected by the flooding

ISLAMABAD: At least 30 people have been killed and more than 1.5 million affected as high floods in the Chenab, Ravi and Sutlej rivers submerged over 2,300 villages across Pakistan’s breadbasket province of Punjab this week, the provincial disaster management authority (PDMA) said on Saturday.

The deluge, driven by record monsoon rains and water releases from upstream India, has inundated swathes of Pakistan’s most populous province, crippling rescue and relief operations and forcing the evacuation of nearly half a million people. Officials said nearly half a million residents had been evacuated to safer areas, while millions more remained affected through damaged homes, livestock losses and flooded farmland.

Officials now warn that the flood threat is likely to spread further south, with the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) cautioning that the Indus River at Guddu and Sukkur barrages is expected to reach very high flood levels between September 4–5.

According to the NDMA’s most recent monsoon toll, more than 830 people have died across Pakistan since June 26.

“Due to severe flooding in rivers Ravi, Sutlej and Chenab, 2,308 villages have been affected,” Punjab Relief Commissioner Nabeel Javed said in a statement released by the PDMA. 

In Lahore, the provincial capital, the PDMA official confirmed two lightning-related deaths during the latest thunderstorms, while 30 people had died across Punjab. 

“A total of 1.516 million people have been impacted while 481,000 trapped residents were rescued to safer places.”

He said 511 relief camps and 351 medical camps had been set up in flood-hit districts, along with 321 veterinary camps. Around 405,000 animals have also been shifted to higher ground.

“Compensation for citizens’ losses will be ensured under the instructions of the Punjab chief minister,” Javed said, adding that damages to farmers would also be assessed.

The NDMA said it had dispatched emergency rations to Sialkot and Narowal, some of the worst-affected districts, at the request of Punjab authorities. “NDMA has provided 500 ration bags each for flood-hit areas of Sialkot and Narowal,” the agency said. “A convoy of eight trucks has been sent carrying relief goods … while more consignments are planned for Wazirabad, Hafizabad, Chiniot and Jhang in the coming days.”

RISING WATERS

Flood Forecasting Division (FFD) data on Saturday showed exceptionally high flood levels at Ganda Singh Wala on the Sutlej and at Balloki on the Ravi, with the Chenab at Trimmu projected to rise to similar levels within 24 hours and Panjnad expected to reach very high flood on September 3. The Indus at Guddu was also forecast to swell dangerously by September 5.

“Exceptionally high flood level will continue in river Sutlej at Ganda Singh Wala,” the FFD bulletin warned, adding that the Chenab at Trimmu was on track to reach the same threshold within a day.

DG PDMA Irfan Ali Kathia told reporters in Lahore 303,000 cusecs of water were flowing at Ganda Singh, where the army and local administration had evacuated 20 villages overnight. He added that more than 175,000 cusecs were flowing at Head Marala on the Chenab, while dangerous levels were expected at Head Islam in the next 24 hours.

Punjab’s flooding crisis comes amid what the Met Office described as the ninth spell of monsoon rains, expected to continue until September 2. Heavy showers were recorded in Mandi Bahauddin (81 mm), Hafizabad (63 mm), Jhelum (50 mm), Sialkot (47 mm), and other districts over the past 24 hours.

The PDMA also reported that India’s Bhakra Dam is currently 84 percent full, Pong 94 percent, and Thein 92 percent, raising concerns of further cross-boundary water surges. Pakistan has repeatedly accused India of releasing excess flows into downstream rivers during monsoon peaks, intensifying flood risks in Punjab’s agricultural belt.

Meanwhile, the Pakistan Meteorological Department said hot and humid weather would persist across Sindh, with scattered rain and thunderstorms forecast in Jacobabad, Kashmore, Ghotki, Khairpur, Kamber Shahdadkot, Sanghar, Umerkot and Tharparkar. 

The Indus at Guddu and Sukkur barrages was already at medium flood levels, with “very high flood” expected in coming days.


Rohingya refugees in India decry ‘inhumane’ deportation to Myanmar 

Rohingya refugees in India decry ‘inhumane’ deportation to Myanmar 
Updated 30 August 2025

Rohingya refugees in India decry ‘inhumane’ deportation to Myanmar 

Rohingya refugees in India decry ‘inhumane’ deportation to Myanmar 
  • An estimated 40,000 Rohingya live in India, over 20,000 of whom are registered with UNHCR
  • UN expert, HRW said Indian authorities have deported scores of Rohingya refugees since May

NEW DELHI: After more than a decade of living in India as a refugee, 55-year-old Nobel Hussain — whose real name has not been used due to concerns over his safety — was among dozens of Rohingya who were forced off an Indian naval vessel into the Andaman Sea in May, amid a crackdown on “illegal immigrants” that has seen hundreds being unlawfully forced out of India. 

Hussain said he and his wife were detained in New Delhi along with at least 40 other Rohingya refugees. After being forced onto a military plane and flown to another location, they were forced onto a naval vessel and cast into the sea near Myanmar.

“It was 4 a.m., we were asked to put on life jackets, our legs and hands were tied, and we were put (into) boats,” he told Arab News. ”After some time, they untied us and threw us in the sea. We had to swim for 30 minutes before we saw land and were rescued by the locals.” 

Hussain and his wife, who are both registered with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, have been living in hiding ever since and face an uncertain future in Myanmar — a country they fled years ago in fear for their lives. 

“We don’t have any documents. Myanmar is always attacking our area. My wife, who has cancer, has sleepless nights. We live in constant fear and don’t know what will happen to us when we are caught,” he said. 

“What the Indian government did to us is inhumane … We thought that we had escaped the danger when we landed in India in 2013, but the Indian government has brought us back to the same predators we thought we escaped.” 

India’s Ministry of Home Affairs did not respond to Arab News’ request for comment. 

Tom Andrews, UN Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Myanmar, started a probe in May into what it called “unconscionable, unacceptable acts,” following “credible reports” of Indian authorities rounding up Rohingya refugees and expelling them, which included the case of the Rohingya refugee group of which Hussain was a part. 

A report by Human Rights Watch published on Friday stated that Indian authorities have deported more than 200 ethnic Rohingya refugees to Bangladesh and Myanmar since May 2025, while hundreds of others have been arbitrarily detained. 

India does not have a national policy or a law on the status and treatment of refugees. It is also not a signatory to the 1951 Refugee Convention, which outlines the rights of refugees and the legal obligations of states to protect them.

Most Rohingya refugees fled Myanmar in 2017, when its military launched a brutal crackdown — widely regarded as ethnic cleansing — on Rohingya Muslims in western Rakhine State. 

While most of them sought safety in neighboring Bangladesh, many also escaped to Hindu-majority India, where an estimated 40,000 now live, more than 20,000 of whom are registered with the UNHCR. 

The increasing crackdown against Rohingya in India appears to be part of a broader campaign led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party, which has been expelling the persecuted minority and Bengali-speaking Muslims for being “illegal immigrants,” HRW said. 

One Rohingya refugee living in Delhi, who asked not to be identified, said his brother was in the same group as Hussain. In early May, he and others were taken to the local police station under the guise of collecting biometric data, but were later detained by authorities. 

Since then, he has only managed a single brief call with his brother, who is also registered with the UNHCR and had lived in Delhi since 2017. 

“My brother and others escaped the brutal Myanmar army to save their lives. The Indian government has pushed them into the hands of the same predator … What is our crime? We don’t want to live in India but we are persecuted in our country. Such arbitrary detention breaks the family, it brings the unimaginable pain of separation and utter helplessness,” the man told Arab News. ”We want India to show some humanity. We are not illegal. We are registered with the UNHCR and want to live like refugees with respect.”

Sabber Kyaw Min, founder of Delhi-based NGO Rohingya Human Rights Initiative, said the deportations of Rohingya are a “violation” of the Indian constitution. 

“Myanmar is not safe for Rohingya. To send refugees back to the same place where they are under attack is not on par with humanitarian law and human values. There are so many other refugees, like Afghans, Africans and others, who are living in India,” he told Arab News. “Why is India targeting Rohingya? 

“We don’t want to criticize India. India should show humanity towards the women, children and unfortunate people of Rohingya,” he continued. 

While Indian policy has historically been in favor of refugees, activist Priyali Suri of the Azadi Project, an NGO that works for refugees, said the government’s approach to refugees has changed in the last decade. 

“India has never been a signatory of the Refugee Convention, but we have welcomed refugees in our land. We have welcomed Sri Lankan refugees, we’ve welcomed Tibetan refugees, we’ve welcomed Afghan refugees, refugees who’ve made this their home,” she told Arab News. 

“It is very sad, and rather infuriating, that human beings who are already persecuted, who are fearing for their lives, have been deported in such a merciless manner. These deportations are clearly a political message that this current establishment stands for a certain kind of political ideology that does not support human rights, does not support refugee rights, and does not adhere to international conventions.” 


EU urges US to reconsider ban on Palestinian officials attending UN assembly

EU urges US to reconsider ban on Palestinian officials attending UN assembly
Updated 30 August 2025

EU urges US to reconsider ban on Palestinian officials attending UN assembly

EU urges US to reconsider ban on Palestinian officials attending UN assembly
  • Kallas said she had asked EU governments to submit proposals for new sanctions against Russia

COPENHAGEN: European Union foreign ministers have urged the United States to reconsider its decision not to allow Palestinian officials to take part in the UN General Assembly in New York, EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas said on Saturday.

Speaking after a meeting of the ministers in the Danish capital Copenhagen, Kallas also said she had asked EU governments to submit proposals next week for another package of sanctions against Russia over its war in Ukraine.


China’s support for multilateralism is vital, says UN’s Guterres

China’s support for multilateralism is vital, says UN’s Guterres
Updated 30 August 2025

China’s support for multilateralism is vital, says UN’s Guterres

China’s support for multilateralism is vital, says UN’s Guterres
  • Xi in turn said China would always be a “reliable partner” to the UN
  • “In this moment in which multilateralism is under fire, the support of China...is an extremely important element to preserve,” Guterres said

TIANJIN, China: China’s role in upholding multilateralism is fundamental, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres told Chinese president Xi Jinping on the sidelines of a security forum meeting on Saturday.

Xi in turn said China would always be a “reliable partner” to the UN and continue to provide “stability and certainty.”

Guterres is in China’s northern port city of Tianjin for a meeting of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization, where Russian President Vladimir Putin and leaders from Central Asia, Southeast Asia, South Asia and the Middle East will gather with Xi in a powerful show of Global South solidarity.

“In this moment in which multilateralism is under fire, the support of China...is an extremely important element to preserve,” he said, according to a media pool report.

“We see new forms of policy that are sometimes difficult to understand, that sometimes look more like a show than the serious diplomatic efforts and in which business and politics seem sometimes also mixed,” Guterres said.

“The role of the People’s Republic of China as a fundamental pillar of the multilateral system is extremely important and we are extremely appreciative and grateful for that,” he added.

Xi promised China’s support.

“China is willing to deepen cooperation with the United Nations, supports its central role in international affairs, and jointly shoulder its responsibilities in maintaining world peace and promoting development and prosperity,” Xi told Guterres.


Ukrainian former parliamentary speaker Parubiy shot dead in Lviv

Ukrainian former parliamentary speaker Parubiy shot dead in Lviv
Updated 30 August 2025

Ukrainian former parliamentary speaker Parubiy shot dead in Lviv

Ukrainian former parliamentary speaker Parubiy shot dead in Lviv
  • The Prosecutor General’s office said a gunman had fired several shots at Parubiy, killing him on the spot
  • Officials gave no immediate indication whether the murder had any direct link to Russia’s war in Ukraine

KYIV: Ukrainian former parliamentary speaker Andriy Parubiy was shot dead in the western city of Lviv on Saturday and a search was under way for the killer.

The Prosecutor General’s office said a gunman had fired several shots at Parubiy, killing him on the spot. The attacker fled and a manhunt was launched, it said.

Parubiy, 54, was a member of parliament, had been parliamentary speaker from April 2016 to August 2019, and was one of the leaders of protests in 2013-14 calling for closer ties with the European Union.

He was also secretary of Ukraine’s National Security and Defense Council from February to August 2014, a period when fighting began in eastern Ukraine and Russia annexed the Crimea peninsula.

Officials gave no immediate indication whether the murder had any direct link to Russia’s war in Ukraine.

“Minister of Internal Affairs Ihor Klymenko and Prosecutor General Ruslan Kravchenko have just reported on the first known circumstances of a horrific murder in Lviv. Andriy Parubiy has been killed,” President Volodymyr Zelensky wrote on X.

He sent his condolence to Parubiy’s family and loved ones, and added: “All necessary forces and means are engaged in the investigation and search for the killer.”

National police said the shooting in Lviv was reported at around noon (0900 GMT). Lviv Mayor Andriy Sadovyi said finding the killer and establishing the circumstances of the attack was of outmost importance.

“This is a matter of security in a country at war, where, as we can see, there are no completely safe places,” he wrote on Telegram.

TRIBUTES POUR IN

Tributes poured in from colleagues in parliament and the government, praising Parubiy’s contribution to Ukraine’s fight for sovereignty and independence as one of the leaders of what became known as the Euromaidan protests in 2013-14.

Former President Petro Poroshenko said on Telegram that the killing of Parubiy, who was a member of the parliamentary committee on national security, defense and intelligence, was “a shot fired at the heart of Ukraine.”

“Andriy was a great man and a true friend. That is why they take revenge, that is what they are afraid of,” he said, lauding Parubiy’s contribution to building out the Ukrainian army.

In a statement on Telegram, Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha described Parubiy as “a patriot and statesman who made an enormous contribution to the defense of Ukraine’s freedom, independence and sovereignty. He was a man who rightfully belongs in the history books.”

Ukrainian law enforcement provided no information on the killer’s identity or motives.

Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Svyrydenko called for a prompt investigation of the murder, calling it “a profound loss” for the country.

“You always remained a patriot of Ukraine and made a great contribution to the formation of our state,” she wrote on X.