ֱ

Under threat from Trump, Canada calls snap elections for April 28

Under threat from Trump, Canada calls snap elections for April 28
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney calls for a snap election after speaking with Mary Simon, the Governor General of Canada, in Ottawa, Mar. 23, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 23 March 2025

Under threat from Trump, Canada calls snap elections for April 28

Under threat from Trump, Canada calls snap elections for April 28
  • Prime Minister Mark Carney brought parliamentary elections forward several months from October
  • The barrage of threats coming from the US president will be the crux of his election campaign

OTTAWA: Canada’s new Prime Minister Mark Carney on Sunday called early elections for April 28, pledging to defeat Donald Trump’s drive to annex the United States’s huge northern neighbor.
Carney, a former central banker, was chosen by Canada’s centrist Liberal Party to replace Justin Trudeau as prime minister, but he has never faced the country’s broader electorate.
That will now change as Carney brought parliamentary elections forward several months from October, and he made it clear that the barrage of threats coming from the US president will be the crux of his campaign.
“I’ve just requested that the governor general dissolve parliament and call an election for April 28. She has agreed,” Carney said in a speech to the nation, referring to King Charles III’s representative in Canada, a member of the British Commonwealth.
Trump “wants to break us, so America can own us. We will not let that happen,” Carney said.
In power for a decade, the Liberal government had slid into deep unpopularity, but Carney will be hoping to ride a wave of Canadian patriotism to a new majority.
Trump has riled his northern neighbor by repeatedly dismissing its sovereignty and borders as artificial, and urging it to join the United States as the 51st state.
The ominous remarks have been accompanied by Trump’s swirling trade war, with the imposition of tariffs on imports from Canada, which could severely damage its economy.
“In this time of crisis, the government needs a strong and clear mandate,” Carney told supporters on Thursday in a speech in the western city of Edmonton.
'Closely watched election'
Domestic issues such as the cost of living and immigration usually dominate Canadian elections, but this time around, one key topic tops the list: who can best handle Trump.
The president’s open hostility toward his northern neighbor — a NATO ally and historically one of his country’s closest partners — has upended the Canadian political landscape.
Trudeau, who had been in power since 2015, was deeply unpopular when he announced he was stepping down, with Pierre Poilievre’s Conservatives seen as election favorites just weeks ago.
But the polls have narrowed spectacularly in Carney’s favor since he took over the Liberals, and now analysts are calling this race, overshadowed by Trump, too close to call.
“Many consider this to be an existential election, unprecedented,” Felix Mathieu, a political scientist at the University of Winnipeg, told AFP.
“It is impossible at this stage to make predictions, but this will be a closely watched election with a voter turnout that should be on the rise.”
Poilievre, 45, is a career politician, first elected when he was only 25. A veteran tough-talking campaigner, he has sometimes been tagged as a libertarian and a populist.
Carney, 60, has spent his career outside of electoral politics. He spent more than a decade at Goldman Sachs and went on to lead Canada’s central bank, and then the Bank of England.
Smaller opposition parties could suffer if Canadians seek to give a large mandate to one of the big two, to strengthen their hand against Trump.
As for the US leader, he professes not to care, while pushing ahead with plans to further strengthen tariffs against Canada and other major trading partners on April 2.
“I don’t care who wins up there,” Trump said this week.
“But just a little while ago, before I got involved and totally changed the election, which I don’t care about [...] the Conservative was leading by 35 points.”


Ex-first minister of Scotland issues plea after relative killed in Gaza

Ex-first minister of Scotland issues plea after relative killed in Gaza
Updated 19 sec ago

Ex-first minister of Scotland issues plea after relative killed in Gaza

Ex-first minister of Scotland issues plea after relative killed in Gaza
  • Humza Yousaf appears in video with wife after family member shot trying to collect aid
  • ‘This is a genocide … and the world must not look away’

LONDON: Humza Yousaf, the former first minister of Scotland, has issued an impassioned message following the death of a relative in Gaza.

Yousaf, the veteran Scottish National Party politician, posted a video on Thursday in which he and his wife Nadia El-Nakla described what had happened to a member of her extended family, Ahmed, who was killed while trying to find supplies for his children.

“We want to give you an update from my cousin Sally, in Gaza,” El-Nakla said in the video message. “His wife asked him not to go, and not to leave them. But he said, ‘No, I have to go this time, I have to provide food that we need, I have to provide milk for my child. I have to go. I’ll only go this one time, and I’m not going to go again.’ And actually, this was the last time he went, because they killed him.”

The couple said Ahmed was killed in the vicinity of an aid distribution center run by the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation, which is backed by Israel and the US.

Yousaf said: “Sally goes on to say, what the world needs to know is that the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation is like a trick to kill the largest number of Palestinians every day.

“Every day, around 100 Palestinians are killed there, trying to get food. Our men, our women, our children.”

El-Nakla said: “This is Gaza. This is a genocide, and the world is backing these facilities. Famine has been declared, yet aid is blocked while the foundation profits from their hunger.

“Food, water and medicine must be allowed in through real aid agencies, and the world must not look away.” 

The GHF has come in for significant international criticism since it began operations in Gaza. It was initially given sole responsibility to distribute aid by Israel after the UN and other groups were denied access to the Palestinian enclave.

Thousands of Palestinians have been shot and killed at the GHF’s four distribution sites since May by contractors and Israeli soldiers, while its poor logistical operations have been blamed by aid agencies for contributing to famine in Gaza. 

Earlier this month, UN experts said innocent civilians were “paying the ultimate price of the international community’s legal, political and moral failure” over the GHF’s activities.

Yousaf, who resigned as Scotland’s first minister in May 2024, has been a vocal critic of Israel’s war in Gaza since its outbreak in October 2023.

Numerous members of El-Nakla’s family, including her parents, were caught up in the invasion, and the pair have consistently raised awareness of the humanitarian situation in the enclave throughout the war.


US to refuse visas to Palestinian officials at UN summit on state

US to refuse visas to Palestinian officials at UN summit on state
Updated 41 min 23 sec ago

US to refuse visas to Palestinian officials at UN summit on state

US to refuse visas to Palestinian officials at UN summit on state
  • “The Trump administration has been clear: it is in our national security interests to hold the PLO and PA accountable for not complying with their commitments,” it said
  • The Palestinian Authority must end “attempts to bypass negotiations through international lawfare campaigns“

WASHINGTON: The United States said Friday it will deny visas to members of the Palestinian Authority to attend next month’s UN General Assembly, where France is leading a push to recognize a Palestinian state.

The extraordinary step further aligns President Donald Trump’s administration with Israel’s government, which adamantly rejects a Palestinian state and has sought to lump together the West Bank-based Palestinian Authority with Hamas in Gaza.

“Secretary of State Marco Rubio is denying and revoking visas from members of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) and the Palestinian Authority (PA) ahead of the upcoming United Nations General Assembly,” the State Department said in a statement.

“The Trump administration has been clear: it is in our national security interests to hold the PLO and PA accountable for not complying with their commitments, and for undermining the prospects for peace,” it said.

Using a term favored by Trump to deride his legal troubles while out of office, the State Department accused the Palestinians of “lawfare” by turning to the International Criminal Court and International Court of Justice to take up grievances with Israel.

The Palestinian Authority must end “attempts to bypass negotiations through international lawfare campaigns” and “efforts to secure the unilateral recognition of a conjectural Palestinian state,” it said.

Under an agreement as host of the United Nations in New York, the United States is not supposed to refuse visas for officials heading to the world body.

The State Department insisted it was complying with the agreement by allowing the Palestinian mission to the United Nations.


Outraged over Russian strike on Kyiv, European defense leaders pledge pressure to end the war

Outraged over Russian strike on Kyiv, European defense leaders pledge pressure to end the war
Updated 29 August 2025

Outraged over Russian strike on Kyiv, European defense leaders pledge pressure to end the war

Outraged over Russian strike on Kyiv, European defense leaders pledge pressure to end the war
  • “Everybody understands that, considering how Putin is mocking the peace efforts, the only thing that works is pressure,” said Kallas
  • Kyiv’s European allies are looking to set up a force that could backstop any peace agreement

BRUSSELS: European defense ministers pledged Friday to ramp up support for Ukraine and increase pressure on Russia, a day after a Russian air assault on Kyiv killed 23 people and badly damaged a European diplomatic compound.

Outrage over the attack propelled Europe’s leaders to condemn Russia even before Friday’s meeting and call for tougher measures on Moscow like seizing frozen assets, further sanctions and increasing support for Ukraine’s military and membership in the European Union.

“Everybody understands that, considering how (Russian President Vladimir) Putin is mocking the peace efforts, the only thing that works is pressure,” said Kaja Kallas, foreign policy chief for the European Union.

They also discussed European troops’ deployment in Ukraine to guarantee security and monitor a peace that seems distant as American efforts to broker peace between Ukraine and Russia appear stalled.

Kyiv’s European allies are looking to set up a force that could backstop any peace agreement, and a coalition of 30 countries, including European nations, Japan and Australia, has signed up to support the initiative. Kallas said that in terms of security guarantees for Ukraine, the US is demanding that Europe carry “the lion’s share” of the burden.

Military chiefs are figuring out how that security force might work. The role that the US might play is unclear. Trump has ruled out sending US troops to help defend Ukraine against Russia.

Two missiles landed about 50 meters from an EU diplomatic mission in Kyiv, shattering the office’s windows and doors but causing no injuries there. The EU summoned the Russian envoy in Brussels over the attack.

The UN Security Council scheduled an emergency meeting on airstrikes against Ukraine on Friday afternoon at the request of Ukraine and five European council members — Britain, France, Slovenia, Denmark and Greece. Two of Ukraine’s top envoys were set to meet Friday with the Trump administration regarding mediation.

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt criticized both Putin and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky after Thursday’s attack on Kyiv.

She said that Trump “was not happy about this news, but he was also not surprised.”

Leavitt noted that Ukraine has also launched effective assaults on Russia’s oil industry in recent weeks.

“Perhaps both sides of this war are not ready to end it themselves,” Leavitt said. “The president wants it to end, but the leaders of these two countries … must want it to end as well.”

In Copenhagen, Kallas said defense ministers from across the 27-nation bloc discussed increasing sanctions on Russia, ramping up defense supplies to Ukraine’s army and European contribution to postwar security guarantees, which could include EU training missions into Ukraine once a ceasefire is in place.

In a press conference following the meeting, Kallas said that the ministers had discussed ways to work around Hungary’s refusal to back Ukraine. She said the EU has 6.6 billion euros blocked by Hungary’s veto that could potentially be sent to Ukraine via NATO’s new Prioritised Ukraine Requirements List approved by Trump.

On Thursday, the United States approved a $825 million arms sale to Ukraine that will include extended-range missiles and related equipment to boost its defensive capabilities.

Lithuania’s defense minister Dovilė Šakalienė said the attack on Kyiv on Thursday shows that hope now for peace is “naive” and that “all Putin is doing is really stalling, actually cheaply buying time to kill more people and to imitate sort of willingness to maybe stop his own murderous actions.”

She said Europe must deal with Russia more forcefully, like seizing frozen Russian assets.

“That is actually one power that we are not using enough yet,” she said. “Over 200 billion of Russian assets would be extremely helpful in both pumping this money in Ukrainian defense industry and buying American weapons.”

Simon Harris, Ireland’s defense minister, said more must be done to force Russia to end the war.

“It’s imperative that those of us in the European Union now consider further sanctions, what more measures can be taken to increase the pressure on Russia to end this brutal and aggressive war on Ukraine and the huge impact that that’s having on civilians,” he said.

European Commission President Ursula Von der Leyen began a tour of EU nations bordering Russia or Belarus on Friday, including visits to arms factories and border installations. She met Friday with Latvian Prime Minister Evika Silina and toured a drone manufacturer.


Number of registered missing people surges 70 percent in five years: Red Cross

Number of registered missing people surges 70 percent in five years: Red Cross
Updated 29 August 2025

Number of registered missing people surges 70 percent in five years: Red Cross

Number of registered missing people surges 70 percent in five years: Red Cross
  • The increase is being driven by growing numbers of conflicts, mass migration and fading respect for the rules of war, ICRC said
  • Some 284,400 people were registered as missing by the ICRC’s Family Links Network at the end of 2024

GENEVA: More than a quarter of a million people are registered as missing by the Red Cross, a figure up nearly 70 percent over five years, the organization said on Friday.

The increase is being driven by growing numbers of conflicts, mass migration and fading respect for the rules of war, the International Committee of the Red Cross said in a statement.

“From Sudan to Ukraine, from Syria to Colombia, the trend is clear: the surging number of missing persons provides a stark reminder that conflict parties and those who support them are failing to protect people during war,” said ICRC director-general Pierre Krahenbuhl.

Some 284,400 people were registered as missing by the ICRC’s Family Links Network at the end of 2024, an increase of 68 percent since 2019, according to numbers released on Friday.

But Krahenbuhl cautioned that that figure represents “only the tip of the iceberg.”

“Worldwide, millions of people have been separated from their loved ones — often for years or even decades,” he said.

“The tragedy of the missing is not inevitable. With stronger measures to prevent separation, protect those in detention and properly manage the dead, countless families could be spared a lifetime of anguish.

“Let us remember that behind every number is a mother, father, child or sibling whose absence leaves a wound that statistics cannot capture.”

The ICRC stressed that states and parties to armed conflicts bear the primary responsibility to prevent disappearances, clarify the fate of missing people and provide support to families.

“How states respond to missing persons cases can shape societies long after violence ends, influencing peace-building, reconciliation and the ability of communities to heal,” it said.

It emphasized that when parties respect international humanitarian law, “the risk of people going missing is reduced.”

The rules of war include, for instance, a duty to avoid separating family members during the transfer or evacuation of civilians by an occupying power.

And they stipulate that parties must share information about detainees in a timely manner and enable them to maintain contact with relatives.

“The obligation to account for deceased enemy combatants likewise ensures that their fate is known to the families and they are not registered as missing,” it said.


Trump ends security protection for former Vice President Harris, CNN reports

Trump ends security protection for former Vice President Harris, CNN reports
Updated 29 August 2025

Trump ends security protection for former Vice President Harris, CNN reports

Trump ends security protection for former Vice President Harris, CNN reports
  • Harris is set to start a book tour for her memoir, “107 Days“
  • The termination of additional security is effective Sept. 1, according to CNN

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump has canceled Secret Service protection for former vice president and 2024 Democratic rival Kamala Harris, CNN reported on Friday, citing a copy of a letter.

Harris’ typical six-month security detail for vice presidents after they leave office had been extended to one year under then-President Joe Biden, CNN reported, citing people familiar with the arrangement. Harris is set to start a book tour for her memoir, “107 Days.”

Representatives for the White House and Harris could not be immediately reached for comment on the report.

The letter to Harris, dated Thursday, says the termination of additional security is effective Sept. 1, according to CNN.

A Harris adviser told CNN in a statement that the former vice president was grateful to the US Secret Service for their dedication.

Harris lost the 2024 presidential election to Trump but has not ruled out a possible presidential bid in 2028.

Trump has also ended federal security protection for others, including those who have criticized him such as former national security adviser John Bolton.

In March, he ended protection for Biden’s children Hunter Biden and Ashley Biden.