ֱ

Former Philippine president Duterte arrested for crimes against humanity

Former Philippine president Duterte arrested for crimes against humanity
Former Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte was arrested after landing at Manila’s international airport following a brief trip to Hong Kong. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 11 March 2025

Former Philippine president Duterte arrested for crimes against humanity

Former Philippine president Duterte arrested for crimes against humanity
  • Duterte was arrested after landing at Manila’s international airport following a brief trip to Hong Kong
  • Duterte is still hugely popular among many in the Philippines, and he remains a potent political force

MANILA: Former Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte was arrested Tuesday in Manila by police acting on an International Criminal Court (ICC) warrant citing crimes against humanity tied to his deadly war on drugs.
The 79-year-old faces a charge of “the crime against humanity of murder,” according to the ICC, for a crackdown in which rights groups estimate tens of thousands of mostly poor men were killed by officers and vigilantes, often without proof they were linked to drugs.
“Early in the morning, Interpol Manila received the official copy of the warrant of the arrest from the ICC,” the presidential palace said in a statement.
“As of now, he is under the custody of authorities.”
The statement added that “the former president and his group are in good health and are being checked by government doctors.”
Duterte was arrested after landing at Manila’s international airport following a brief trip to Hong Kong.
Speaking to thousands of overseas Filipino workers there on Sunday, the former president decried the investigation, labelling ICC investigators “sons of whores” while saying he would “accept it” if an arrest were to be his fate.
The Philippines quit the ICC in 2019 on Duterte’s instructions, but the tribunal maintained it had jurisdiction over killings before the pullout, as well as killings in the southern city of Davao when Duterte was mayor there, years before he became president.
It launched a formal inquiry in September 2021, only to suspend it two months later after Manila said it was re-examining several hundred cases of drug operations that led to deaths at the hands of police, hitmen and vigilantes.
The case resumed in July 2023 after a five-judge panel rejected the Philippines’ objection that the court lacked jurisdiction.
Since then, the government of President Ferdinand Marcos has on numerous instances said it would not cooperate with the investigation.
But Undersecretary of the Presidential Communications Office Claire Castro on Sunday said that if Interpol would “ask the necessary assistance from the government, it is obliged to follow.”
Duterte is still hugely popular among many in the Philippines who supported his quick-fix solutions to crime, and he remains a potent political force. He is running to reclaim his job as mayor of his stronghold Davao in the May mid-term election.
Charges have been filed locally in a handful of cases related to drug operations that led to deaths, only nine police have been convicted for slaying alleged drug suspects.
A self-professed killer, Duterte told officers to fatally shoot narcotics suspects if their lives were at risk and insisted the crackdown saved families and prevented the Philippines from turning into a “narco-politics state.”
At the opening of a Philippine Senate probe into the drug war in October, Duterte said he offered “no apologies, no excuses” for his actions.
“I did what I had to do, and whether or not you believe it or not, I did it for my country,” he said.


India commits to improving ties with China as Modi meets Xi

India commits to improving ties with China as Modi meets Xi
Updated 31 August 2025

India commits to improving ties with China as Modi meets Xi

India commits to improving ties with China as Modi meets Xi
  • It is the Indian prime minister’s first visit to China since the 2018 SCO summit in Wuhan
  • India-China relations became tense after deadly clashes along their Himalayan border in 2020

NEW DELHI: India is committed to improving ties with China, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said during a meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping on Sunday, as the world’s two most populous nations pursue a warming in relations in the wake of shared tensions with the US.

Modi flew to China to attend a meeting of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization in Tianjin, along with Russian President Vladimir Putin and other leaders from South and Central Asia.

It is the Indian prime minister’s first visit to China since the SCO summit in Wuhan in 2018, as relations were later strained for years following deadly clashes along their Himalayan border.

Talks over the disputed border resumed earlier this month, with Beijing top diplomat Wang Yi’s visit to New Delhi.

“An atmosphere of peace and stability has been created after the disengagement on the border. Agreements have been reached between our special representatives regarding border management,” Modi said in his opening remarks during his meeting with Xi, a video of which he shared on social media.

“The interests of 2.8 billion people of both the countries are linked to our cooperation. This will also pave the way for the welfare of the entire humanity. We are committed to taking our relations forward on the basis of mutual trust, respect and sensitivity.”

The nuclear-armed neighbors were locked in a standoff triggered by deadly clashes along their Himalayan border, known as the Line of Actual Control, in 2020.

Tens of thousands of troops, tanks, and artillery have since been deployed on both sides of the LAC, with both countries building new roads, bunkers, and airstrips in the high-altitude area.

India restricted Chinese investments, banned dozens of Chinese apps, and scrutinized trade ties, as it deepened relations with Beijing’s rivals — the US, Japan, and Australia.

But US President Donald Trump’s trade war, in which, in early August, he hiked the total duty on Indian exports over New Delhi’s purchases of Russian oil, has created an opening for the two Asian giants to seek to mend their ties.

India’s Ministry of External Affairs quoted Modi as saying during the meeting with Xi that both countries “pursue strategic autonomy, and their relations should not be seen through a third country lens.”

The statement, according to Manoj Kewalramani, chairperson of the Indo-Pacific Research Program and a China studies fellow at the Takshashila Institution, needed to be considered in Beijing’s “strategic cognition,” as well as its vision of Asia’s multipolarity.

“It is high time that Beijing began viewing India for India’s sake, and not via Washington, D.C.-tinted glasses,” he said.

“On the issue of multipolarity, both sides have long agreed that the world should be moving in that direction. The difference between them, however, has been about whether global multipolarity also entails a multipolar Asia. The Indian readout reiterates this objective of Asian multipolarity, whereas the Chinese readout does not do so.”


Bangladeshis lose 5.5 years of life to world’s most polluted air

People move through a dusty road, as air quality reduces ahead of the winter in Dhaka, Bangladesh, Nov. 4, 2024. (File/Reuters)
People move through a dusty road, as air quality reduces ahead of the winter in Dhaka, Bangladesh, Nov. 4, 2024. (File/Reuters)
Updated 31 August 2025

Bangladeshis lose 5.5 years of life to world’s most polluted air

People move through a dusty road, as air quality reduces ahead of the winter in Dhaka, Bangladesh, Nov. 4, 2024. (File/Reuters)
  • Situation worsened since last year, when estimated life expectancy loss was 4.8 years
  • Government seeks to launch action this year to control some sources of pollution

DHAKA: Air pollution shortens the average Bangladeshi’s life by 5.5 years, making it the world’s most affected country, latest data shows, as the government vows to act by the year’s end.

According to last week’s Air Quality Life Index report by the University of Chicago’s Energy Policy Institute, “air pollution is the greatest external threat to life expectancy” in Bangladesh, which is currently “the world’s most polluted country.”

All of Bangladesh’s 166.8 million people live in areas where the yearly average level of fine particulate pollution exceeds both the World Health Organization’s guideline of 5 micrograms per cubic meter of air and the country’s national limit of 35 micrograms. In places like the capital, Dhaka, the concentration was above 76 micrograms.

“The average Bangladeshi resident could live 5.5 years longer if particulate pollution met the World Health Organization (WHO) guideline,” the report says. In Dhaka, the impact of toxic air is particularly severe, slashing the average life expectancy by 6.9 years.

The report also shows that the air quality is quickly worsening despite the government’s attempts to address the problem.

“It’s very concerning for us. I doubt if there are any other countries in the world that witnessed such a grave situation,” said Dr. Ahmad Kamruzzaman Majumder, professor at the Department of Environmental Science at Stamford University in Dhaka.

“Air pollution has reached such a severe level here that no research is needed to identify it, as one can see it with the naked eye.”

Smog is an everyday reality for residents of Bangladeshi cities, as it shrouds them almost every morning. But what is more dangerous is the pollution that the eye cannot see: particulate matter, PM2.5 — tiny airborne particles less than 2.5 micrometers wide that can penetrate deep into the lungs and bloodstream.

PM2.5 levels in Bangladesh have been on a sharp rise since the late 1990s. The only time they dropped was during the coronavirus pandemic in 2022, but that trend did not last.

“In last year’s AQLI report, our average life expectancy was reduced by 4.8 years, and this year it’s reported as 5.5 years,” Majumder said.

“The situation is very alarming. It shows that the state has failed to ensure a safe environment for the protection of its people. Bangladesh didn’t reject this report, which means the Bangladeshi government also agrees with the findings of this report. The state can’t evade the responsibility here.”

As the main sources of pollution, he listed increasing use of fossil fuels and fumes from brick kilns, which burn coal or wood to fire bricks.

“Every year, an additional 100,000 vehicles hit the streets of Dhaka. Many of these vehicles operate without proper fitness checks, contributing significantly to air pollution,” he said.

“Transboundary air pollution from neighboring countries is also affecting us. The lack of proper waste management, including open burning, is also a big factor.”

In response to the latest air pollution report, the government vows to step up its efforts by the year’s end, although the task is not easy, with Dr. Ziaul Huq, director of air quality management at the Department of Environment, admitting that “every source of air pollution” exists in Bangladesh’s environment.

“We are trying to withdraw the vehicles without fitness checks from the streets, but we are yet to see any success in this sector,” he told Arab News.

“Big industries that are responsible for air pollution, we will bring them under constant monitoring. A device will be installed at their factory furnace, and our officials will continuously monitor the emission results centrally. If any deviation is found, we will intervene immediately. This work will begin within the next two months under the ‘Bangladesh Clean Air’ project.”

While not all sources of pollution can be controlled, some, until now, have not been properly addressed.

“In the case of Dhaka, transboundary pollution is responsible for 30 percent to 35 percent of air pollution. This situation is beyond our control. From October to April, 35 percent of air pollution in Dhaka comes from outside the country,” he said.

“Thirty-nine percent of Dhaka’s air pollution is caused by the burning of waste and firewood. We couldn’t address this issue properly. Our efforts are there.”


Kremlin: Europe is hindering Trump’s peace efforts on Ukraine

Kremlin: Europe is hindering Trump’s peace efforts on Ukraine
Updated 31 August 2025

Kremlin: Europe is hindering Trump’s peace efforts on Ukraine

Kremlin: Europe is hindering Trump’s peace efforts on Ukraine
  • European powers say that they do not believe Vladimir Putin wants peace in Ukraine

MOSCOW: The Kremlin said that European powers were hindering US President Donald Trump’s efforts to achieve peace in Ukraine and that Russia would continue its operation in Ukraine until Moscow saw real signs that Kyiv was ready for peace.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told Russian state media reporters that the “European party of war” was continuing to hinder US and Russian efforts on Ukraine.
“We are ready to resolve the problem by political and diplomatic means,” Peskov said. “But so far we do not see reciprocity from Kyiv in this. So we shall continue the special military operation.”
Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered tens of thousands of troops to invade Ukraine in February 2022 after eight years of fighting in eastern Ukraine between Russian-backed separatists and Ukrainian troops.
The United States says over 1.2 million people have been killed and injured in the war since 2022. Russia currently controls a little under one fifth of Ukraine.
European powers say that they do not believe Putin wants peace in Ukraine. Putin has repeatedly said he is ready to discuss peace but that Russia will not give up any of the land that it has taken in Ukraine.
Russian Defense Minister Andrei Belousov said on Friday that the Russian army had sped up its rate of advance in Ukraine and was taking control of 600-700 square km (502 square miles) a month compared to 300-400 square km at the start of the year.


Sexual harassment rampant in Rohingya camps: study

Sexual harassment rampant in Rohingya camps: study
Updated 31 August 2025

Sexual harassment rampant in Rohingya camps: study

Sexual harassment rampant in Rohingya camps: study
  • Cox’s Bazar is home to around a million Rohingyas, fleeing a brutal military crackdown in Myanmar’s Rakhine state

DHAKA: Sexual harassment remains the most pressing concern for Rohingya women and adolescents living in squalid refugee camps in Bangladesh’s Cox’s Bazar, according to a study released Sunday.
Cox’s Bazar is home to around a million largely Muslim Rohingya minority, fleeing a brutal military crackdown in Myanmar’s Rakhine state.
ActionAid – one of the largest non-profits operating in the camps since the influx in 2017 – conducted 66 in-depth interviews, revealing dire challenges faced by women and adolescents.
“Sexual harassment is the biggest concern,” said Tamazer Ahmed, policy, research and advocacy manager at ActionAid.
“Early marriage and polygamy have become normalized, and 93 percent of interviewees remained outside the scope of legal assistance.”
The participants said the violence was meted out not only by men known to their families but also members of the Armed Police Battalion (APBN) – a security force deployed by the Bangladesh government.
Ahmed said women in the camps described a shift in the nature of threats over the years, from lack of basic amenities in the early days to more systemic abuses now.
“Now, Rohingya women and adolescents often fall victim to molestation, rape, trafficking, poverty, educational exclusion, and even death,” Ahmed said.
Girls aged between 6 and 15 were particularly vulnerable, with most incidents of sexual harassment occurring near latrines and bathing points.
They were also vulnerable at distribution centers, hospitals, schools and madrassas, border zones and even within relatives’ homes.
“Patriarchy runs deep in the Rohingya community,” said Farah Kabir, executive director at ActionAid.
“But the views of the Rohingya women, mostly aged 16 to 30 years, were central to the research.”
The women surveyed urged authorities to improve lighting in public areas, replace APBN officers with army personnel, engage men in prevention efforts, and expand access to education and livelihoods.
Trust in law enforcement and religious leaders remained low, with many women saying they had almost nowhere to turn when facing abuse.
Kausar Sikdar, commanding officer of APBN, however said they were not aware of any such allegations against the force.
Bangladesh has recorded a surge of refugees from Myanmar since early 2024, with 150,000 more Rohingya arriving.


Pope Leo XIV denounces ‘pandemic of arms’ as he prays for victims of Minnesota school shooting

Pope Leo XIV denounces ‘pandemic of arms’ as he prays for victims of Minnesota school shooting
Updated 31 August 2025

Pope Leo XIV denounces ‘pandemic of arms’ as he prays for victims of Minnesota school shooting

Pope Leo XIV denounces ‘pandemic of arms’ as he prays for victims of Minnesota school shooting
  • The shooting occurred at the Church of Annunciation in Minneapolis, killing two children and injuring 20 others
  • The shooter fired 116 rifle rounds through the church’s stained-glass windows before dying by suicide

VATICAN CITY: Pope Leo XIV on Sunday denounced the “pandemic of arms, large and small,” as he prayed publicly for the victims of the shooting during a Catholic school Mass in the United States.
History’s first US pope spoke in English as he appealed for an end to the “logic of weapons” and for a culture of fraternity to prevail, during his Sunday noon blessing from his studio overlooking St. Peter’s Square.
“Our prayers for the victims of the tragic shooting during a school Mass in the American state of Minnesota,” said the Chicago-born Leo. “We hold in our prayers the countless children killed and injured every day around the world. Let us plead God to stop the pandemic of arms, large and small, which infects our world.”
Two children were killed and 20 people were injured during the shooting attack at the Church of Annunciation in Minneapolis, as hundreds of students from the nearby Annunciation Catholic School and others gathered for a Mass. The shooter fired 116 rifle rounds through the church’s stained-glass windows, and later died by suicide.
In the immediate aftermath of the shooting, Leo had refrained from any political commentary about guns, sending a telegram of condolence that focused exclusively on the spiritual. He said he was saddened by the “terrible tragedy” and sent his “heartfelt condolences and the assurance of spiritual closeness to all those affected.”