ֱ

Top UN officials rally support for summit as uncertainty mounts

Top UN officials rally support for summit as uncertainty mounts
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres delivered a speech on Saturday ahead of the Summit of the Future. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 22 September 2024

Top UN officials rally support for summit as uncertainty mounts

Top UN officials rally support for summit as uncertainty mounts
  • Secretary-general calls for Security Council reform in speech ahead of Summit of the Future
  • Event seeks to revive trust in multilateralism amid growing criticism of UN

NEW YORK CITY: Top UN officials have called on member states to take renewed action on global issues ahead of the Summit of the Future, which aims to revive trust in multilaterism and counter growing criticism of the international organization.

The summit takes place on Sept. 22-23 during the 79th UN General Assembly, which began earlier this month.

It also aims to galvanize support for the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals, which were launched in 2015.

A “Pact for the Future,” negotiated and agreed upon by member states, will be declared at the end of the summit.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres delivered a speech on Saturday ahead of the summit. “Four years ago, we began the process that brings us here today because we saw a world in trouble: torn apart by conflict and inequalities, threatened by climate chaos and unregulated technologies, the Sustainable Development Goals in peril — with many countries now mired in disastrous debt and a cost-of-living crisis,” he said.

“We saw our multilateral institutions ailing, unable to respond to contemporary challenges, let alone those of tomorrow.

“We saw faith in multilateral solutions eroding, and we saw trust in each other dissipating just when we needed it most. So we began a journey to reform.”

Through the summit, Guterres is seeking the support of world leaders in delivering the “Pact for the Future,” which covers emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence, and longstanding issues such as climate change.

But critics have argued that the pact has been watered down amid a gridlock in negotiations, and that the summit may join a list of long-forgotten UN campaigns.

The UN itself has faced growing criticism over its inefficacy in confronting global challenges.

Its longstanding bureaucracy and Security Council format have also come under fire, particularly amid the Russia-Ukraine and Gaza wars.

In his speech, Guterres pointed to sectors of society outside of government that could hold the key to change.

“The world belongs to us all. People want a say in the decisions that affect them,” he said. “And while governments have primary responsibility, we will not solve today’s global problems without contributions from all of society: from civil society and young people delivering change, promoting accountability, demanding better, standing up for truth and justice, and using new technologies to organize for a better world; from business and finance — critical to combating the climate crisis and shaping our digital future for the benefit of all; and from scientists, innovators and academics pushing the boundaries of our knowledge and developing solutions to the great challenges we face — from hunger and disease to online hate.”

Guterres conceded to criticism of the UN, calling for reform of the “outdated” Security Council format.

International financial institutions, which have a controversial track record in the Global South, were another target of Guterres, who called for “supercharging resources for sustainable development and climate action.”

UNGA President Philemon Yang supported Guterres in a letter on Friday. The former Cameroonian prime minister said his preliminary meetings with heads of state led to an “overwhelming message of support” for the summit’s goals.

“Over the past three years, we have all rallied around the promise of the Summit of the Future as an opportunity for the international community to forge a new global consensus that will actively seek to transform and scale-up existing commitments for the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals,” he added. “The Pact of the Future meets this promise.”


Von der Leyen says Europe is drawing up ‘precise’ plans to send troops to Ukraine, FT reports

Local residents walk out of the residential building heavily damaged three days ago during a Russian attack.
Local residents walk out of the residential building heavily damaged three days ago during a Russian attack.
Updated 57 min 56 sec ago

Von der Leyen says Europe is drawing up ‘precise’ plans to send troops to Ukraine, FT reports

Local residents walk out of the residential building heavily damaged three days ago during a Russian attack.
  • “President Trump reassured us that there will be (an) American presence as part of the backstop,” von der Leyen told the FT
  • Deployment is set to include potentially tens of thousands of European-led troops, backed by assistance from the US

LONDON: Europe is drawing up “pretty precise plans” for a multinational troop deployment to Ukraine as part of post-conflict security guarantees that will have the backing of US capabilities, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen told the Financial Times in an interview published Sunday.
“President Trump reassured us that there will be (an) American presence as part of the backstop,” von der Leyen told the FT, adding that “That was very clear and repeatedly affirmed.”
The deployment is set to include potentially tens of thousands of European-led troops, backed by assistance from the US, including control and command systems and intelligence and surveillance assets, the report said, adding that this arrangement was agreed at a meeting between US President Donald Trump, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and senior European leaders last month.
European leaders, including German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer, NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte and von der Leyen are expected to gather in Paris on Thursday, at the invitation of French President Emmanuel Macron, to continue the high-level discussions on Ukraine, the FT reported, citing three diplomats briefed on the plans.


UK still intends to recognize Palestinian state, Foreign Secretary David Lammy to tell MPs

UK still intends to recognize Palestinian state, Foreign Secretary David Lammy to tell MPs
Updated 31 August 2025

UK still intends to recognize Palestinian state, Foreign Secretary David Lammy to tell MPs

UK still intends to recognize Palestinian state, Foreign Secretary David Lammy to tell MPs
  • PM Keir Starmer said move would be made before UN General Assembly

LONDON: The UK remains on course to recognize a Palestinian state in September, Foreign Secretary David Lammy will tell MPs on Monday, .

Lammy is expected to confirm in a House of Commons statement that officials will carry out a formal assessment in the coming days as to whether Israel has complied with the conditions set out by Prime Minister Keir Starmer.

One UK official told the newspaper: “We will assess all the factors relevant to recognition. But, as things stand, we’re on a pathway to recognition.”

Starmer said that the UK would recognize Palestine before the UN General Assembly, which begins on Sept. 9, unless Israel took “substantive steps” to end the war in Gaza, agreed to a ceasefire, and committed not to annex parts of the West Bank.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government has instead hardened its stance, with signs of moving in the opposite direction.

Reuters reported on Sunday that Israel was considering annexation in the West Bank if the UK, France and other countries proceed with recognizing Palestine.

Israeli officials said the issue was discussed at Netanyahu’s Cabinet meeting on Sunday, but gave no indication of where or when annexation could take place.

The British Foreign Office has just over a week to complete its formal assessment of Israel’s position.

Senior officials have said that the timing of Britain’s recognition is being driven more by diplomatic concerns to act in concert with France than by the assessment itself.

Lammy also warned on Sunday that the worsening humanitarian crisis in Gaza, where UN-backed experts have declared a famine in parts of the enclave, was a “man-made catastrophe” caused by Israel’s refusal to allow in sufficient aid.

“The humanitarian situation in Gaza remains catastrophic, with famine in Gaza City and women and girls bearing the brunt of the suffering,” Lammy said in a statement.

“The UK is doing all we can to improve the situation but we remain crystal clear: For aid to have impact, Israel must ensure it is allowed in and delivered safely and securely to civilians in desperate need.”

The government on Sunday announced an additional £3 million ($4.05 million) to provide midwives and emergency medical supplies for new mothers in Gaza. But it stressed that the support would only reach those in need if Israel permitted greater humanitarian access.

“This funding can only have maximum impact if the government of Israel allows it,” Lammy said.

“Israel must ensure protection of civilians including healthcare staff and health infrastructure, and enable the delivery of lifesaving medicines, medical equipment and healthcare supplies into Gaza.”

The long road to Palestinian statehood
An Arab News Deep Dive
Enter
keywords

French PM says ‘fate of France’ at stake in confidence vote

France’s Prime Minister Francois Bayrou speaks with journalists during a live televised interview broadcast with news channels.
France’s Prime Minister Francois Bayrou speaks with journalists during a live televised interview broadcast with news channels.
Updated 31 August 2025

French PM says ‘fate of France’ at stake in confidence vote

France’s Prime Minister Francois Bayrou speaks with journalists during a live televised interview broadcast with news channels.

PARIS: French Prime Minister Francois Bayrou said on Sunday the destiny of France was at stake in a forthcoming confidence vote, which he called to resolve a budget standoff but is expected to lose.
The September 8 vote in parliament will not decide “the fate of the prime minister” but “the fate of France,” Bayrou said, during an interview with four news channels.
The prime minister stunned France on Monday by saying he would request the vote in a divided parliament, as he tries to garner enough support for his minority government’s plan to slash spending — even as opposition parties say they will not back him.
“I think that the days ahead are crucial,” the 74-year-old prime minister said in the interview with franceinfo, LCI, BFMTV and Cnews.
“If you think that I can give up the battles that I fight, that I am fighting here, that I have been fighting for years and that I will continue to fight in the future, you are mistaken.”
Earlier on Sunday, Socialist leader Olivier Faure said the party’s decision to vote against Bayrou’s government was final.
“The only thing I’m waiting for him to do now is to say goodbye,” Faure said, referring to the prime minister.
Bayrou has said sacrifices must be made to ensure France’s future and bring down the country’s debt.
He said he wanted to save about 44 billion euros ($51 billion) with measures that include reducing the number of holidays and placing a freeze on spending increases.
But the measures have proved deeply unpopular, with seven out of 10 French people saying they want Bayrou to lose the confidence vote, according to a recent poll.
Bayrou’s gamble has raised fears that France risks a new period of political and financial instability.
Speaking earlier Sunday, Justice Minister Gerald Darmanin called on political forces to find a compromise, saying he was concerned that the legacy of the Fifth Republic’s founding father Charles De Gaulle was at risk.
“General De Gaulle’s institutions are at stake if we fall back into the instability of the Fourth Republic, where governments came and went, where the authority of the state was not guaranteed, where the administration had no leader,” Darmanin said in a speech.


Japan firmly condemns Hamas, emphasizes the urgent need for its disarmament

Japan firmly condemns Hamas, emphasizes the urgent need for its disarmament
Updated 31 August 2025

Japan firmly condemns Hamas, emphasizes the urgent need for its disarmament

Japan firmly condemns Hamas, emphasizes the urgent need for its disarmament

TOKYO: Japan has strongly condemned the “terror attacks” carried out by Hamas against Israel approximately two years ago and has called for the disarmament of Hamas.

This condemnation was expressed during a meeting in Tokyo last week between Japanese State Minister FUJII Hisayuki and Amir Ohana, the Speaker of the Israeli Knesset.

Ohana and the father of an Israeli individual held by Hamas, were invited to Tokyo by the Japanese government. During a press conference, they both expressed appreciation for the “help and support that Japan is providing to Israel.”

According to the Foreign Ministry in Tokyo, Fujii expressed concern over what he described as “the deteriorating humanitarian situation in Gaza.” He urged Israel to make greater efforts to achieve a ceasefire as soon as possible and to improve the humanitarian conditions.

Fujii also stated that Japan’s ongoing support for realizing a two-state solution requires confidence-building measures and negotiations between the involved parties.

In response, Speaker Ohana explained Israel’s position, but the ministry did not provide any further details.


India commits to improving ties with China as Modi meets Xi

India commits to improving ties with China as Modi meets Xi
Updated 31 August 2025

India commits to improving ties with China as Modi meets Xi

India commits to improving ties with China as Modi meets Xi
  • It is the Indian prime minister’s first visit to China since the 2018 SCO summit in Wuhan
  • India-China relations became tense after deadly clashes along their Himalayan border in 2020

NEW DELHI: India is committed to improving ties with China, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said during a meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping on Sunday, as the world’s two most populous nations pursue a warming in relations in the wake of shared tensions with the US.

Modi flew to China to attend a meeting of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization in Tianjin, along with Russian President Vladimir Putin and other leaders from South and Central Asia.

It is the Indian prime minister’s first visit to China since the SCO summit in Wuhan in 2018, as relations were later strained for years following deadly clashes along their Himalayan border.

Talks over the disputed border resumed earlier this month, with Beijing top diplomat Wang Yi’s visit to New Delhi.

“An atmosphere of peace and stability has been created after the disengagement on the border. Agreements have been reached between our special representatives regarding border management,” Modi said in his opening remarks during his meeting with Xi, a video of which he shared on social media.

“The interests of 2.8 billion people of both the countries are linked to our cooperation. This will also pave the way for the welfare of the entire humanity. We are committed to taking our relations forward on the basis of mutual trust, respect and sensitivity.”

The nuclear-armed neighbors were locked in a standoff triggered by deadly clashes along their Himalayan border, known as the Line of Actual Control, in 2020.

Tens of thousands of troops, tanks, and artillery have since been deployed on both sides of the LAC, with both countries building new roads, bunkers, and airstrips in the high-altitude area.

India restricted Chinese investments, banned dozens of Chinese apps, and scrutinized trade ties, as it deepened relations with Beijing’s rivals — the US, Japan, and Australia.

But US President Donald Trump’s trade war, in which, in early August, he hiked the total duty on Indian exports over New Delhi’s purchases of Russian oil, has created an opening for the two Asian giants to seek to mend their ties.

India’s Ministry of External Affairs quoted Modi as saying during the meeting with Xi that both countries “pursue strategic autonomy, and their relations should not be seen through a third country lens.”

The statement, according to Manoj Kewalramani, chairperson of the Indo-Pacific Research Program and a China studies fellow at the Takshashila Institution, needed to be considered in Beijing’s “strategic cognition,” as well as its vision of Asia’s multipolarity.

“It is high time that Beijing began viewing India for India’s sake, and not via Washington, D.C.-tinted glasses,” he said.

“On the issue of multipolarity, both sides have long agreed that the world should be moving in that direction. The difference between them, however, has been about whether global multipolarity also entails a multipolar Asia. The Indian readout reiterates this objective of Asian multipolarity, whereas the Chinese readout does not do so.”